oil quantity strangeness

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Spring's oil change today. Had bought a 4.0 liter drum, and UM says (without oil filter change) one needs 3.8L
Thought that sounds easy enough, but when the swap was done, and the oil level window showing max level ... I had 0.450 L of oil left in the drum ? Upps ? Strange math I thought. Checked the drum, it is not oversized, no promotional extra quart.

Next took a ride. After returning home, and waiting for the engine to cool down, what do I find ? oil level is way beyond the max mark. So much it could even damage (?) the catalytic converters.

Beggin' for help: have you had similar problems ? how does one take 1 quart out without removing the drain screw all the way and getting it all over the floor ? The space around the oil filler cap seems much too tight for even the tiniest hose.
 
Yeah, you are going to have to just loosen the drain plug. There will be a mess. Not much you can do about it. Shouldn’t be a big mess though.
 
It called for 3.8, you put in 3.6 right? How could it be a quart over filled?

Personally I drain the oil, remove and replace the oil filter, replace drain plug, then pour in 1 gallon of oil, then repeat in 4000 miles.
 
This actually sounds really odd to my inexperienced mind too. Every time ive changed oil on a bike, checked the oil level, run the bike and checked again, the level is lower, not higher. I guess i should ask the boneheaded question: was it on the same level surface both times it was checked? On the center stand both times?
 
The ferret_imp said:
It called for 3.8, you put in 3.6 right? How could it be a quart over filled?

Personally I drain the oil, remove and replace the oil filter, replace drain plug, then pour in 1 gallon of oil, then repeat in 4000 miles.
(+1) Sound method from the caveman era stands the test of time. :)
 
I had the same overfill problem done by a dealer when I bought a 2015ex
To get down to the normal level I took 500ml out via the oil filler hole with a thin fuel pipe (from model aircraft days) and a syringe, took a while but its possible.

I would guess as has been said earlier maybe you didn't drain all the oil out but don't worry as dealers do the same sometimes due to time or letting the apprentice change oils.

Now when I change the oil I don't go by quantity I just keep slowly pouring in until the desired level is reached.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
I had the same overfill problem done by a dealer when I bought a 2015ex
To get down to the normal level I took 500ml out via the oil filler hole with a thin fuel pipe (from model aircraft days) and a syringe, took a while but its possible.

I would guess as has been said earlier maybe you didn't drain all the oil out but don't worry as dealers do the same sometimes due to time or letting the apprentice change oils.

Now when I change the oil I don't go by quantity I just keep slowly pouring in until the desired level is reached.
I do the same thing and don't go by exact quantities. After an oil and filter change, I take a spin around the block, let the engine cool and top up as needed.
My bike was also overfilled by the dealer. I cracked the drain plug and let some oil ooze out until it was below the sight glass top mark.
When I bought my Triumph Bonneville, it was also overfilled by the dealer :@
 
I am wondering if running the engine, stopping, pause, and then checking the dip stick level by dealer/garages "costs too much labour time"? It should be an essential part of the service procedure. Ah well.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
This actually sounds really odd to my inexperienced mind too. Every time ive changed oil on a bike, checked the oil level, run the bike and checked again, the level is lower, not higher. I guess i should ask the boneheaded question: was it on the same level surface both times it was checked? On the center stand both times?
Absolutely, same level surface (100% level), all times on centerstand. But you are right to ask. Mistakes can be made, even the most silly ones.
Mixagon_imp said:
I had the same overfill problem done by a dealer when I bought a 2015ex
To get down to the normal level I took 500ml out via the oil filler hole with a thin fuel pipe (from model aircraft days) and a syringe, took a while but its possible.

I would guess as has been said earlier maybe you didn't drain all the oil out but don't worry as dealers do the same sometimes due to time or letting the apprentice change oils.

Now when I change the oil I don't go by quantity I just keep slowly pouring in until the desired level is reached.
After engine and oil warm up, I opened the drain screw, let it drain for 15 minutes. What else could one do to get "more" out ?
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am wondering if running the engine, stopping, pause, and then checking the dip stick level by dealer/garages "costs too much labour time"? It should be an essential part of the service procedure. Ah well.
To complete the procedure I started the engine briefly after filling in the first 3 liters, waited, and kept filling. Still don't know how the recomm oil quantity can be SOOO wrong ...


So tonight I started the messy draining of excess oil, through the drain bolt. Kept it in place so I could screw it back in without delay and control the amount of oil drained. After 200ml / almost one quart drained the level window showed max. This is truely amazing. If I run the numbers again, and if you're interested , here is the result:
- book value for oil change w/o filter 3.8L
- from new drum 4L
- filled in 4L minus 450ml = 3.55 L, which resulted in
- oil level window completely filled with oil, even after a few minutes ride and waiting 5 minutes
- removed another 200ml (tonight) and now the window shows max. allowed
- total amount left in my engine : ~ 3.35 L or 450 ml under spec.

No wonder some dealers return overfilled engines.

Why have I drained excess oil through the drain bolt and not the filter ? Not sure the oil filter gasket can / should be used a second time after
the oil filter has been on for many heat cycles. The brand new gasket on the drain bolt I could not replace either (wanted most of the new oil in the engine to stay there). But by increasing the torque on the bolt by 10% I think the drain will be tight for the coming 12 months.

To compare the numbers, I would much appreciate if some one could accurately measure how much oil he has to fill into his engine next time, and report it under this thread.
 
j3gq, I always change the filter as well as the oil and the bike takes the recommended 3.9 litres.
 
I've never known changing the oil on the CB1100, or any of my inline-4s to be messy.

Heck, the messiest part may have been pouring the used oil into a container for recycling and drying up the catch pan.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've never known changing the oil on the CB1100, or any of my inline-4s to be messy.

Heck, the messiest part may have been pouring the used oil into a container for recycling and drying up the catch pan.
@GO: There must be a misunderstanding. Oil change isn't messy at all, very simple job indeed. But draining 200ml of oil through the drain bolt, while keeping 3 or 3.5 L of clean, new oil inside the engine, is - believe me - a messy job. Of course I could have drained it all, collect it, and refill it. But this just seemed ... TOO much for such a rainy day ;)
Cormanus_imp said:
j3gq, I always change the filter as well as the oil and the bike takes the recommended 3.9 litres.
I didn't want to do the filter as the user manual (EX, 2017) requires the filter change every 2nd year only, but the oil every year.
 
Recently changed oil and filter on my DLX and today before long ride I added 5 ml/0.00132086 US gal just to be perfect :rolleyes:
 
j3gq_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've never known changing the oil on the CB1100, or any of my inline-4s to be messy.

Heck, the messiest part may have been pouring the used oil into a container for recycling and drying up the catch pan.
@GO: There must be a misunderstanding. Oil change isn't messy at all, very simple job indeed. But draining 200ml of oil through the drain bolt, while keeping 3 or 3.5 L of clean, new oil inside the engine, is - believe me - a messy job. Of course I could have drained it all, collect it, and refill it. But this just seemed ... TOO much for such a rainy day ;)
Cormanus_imp said:
j3gq, I always change the filter as well as the oil and the bike takes the recommended 3.9 litres.
I didn't want to do the filter as the user manual (EX, 2017) requires the filter change every 2nd year only, but the oil every year.
Bah, then maybe wear a nitrile glove or sumthin'.

Otherwise, I think unused clean oil is less likely to give you skin cancer than used, ̷b̷u̷r̷n̷t̷ contaminated oil.
 
don't we have a video of someone doing a oil service
after draining he put the plug in then tilted the bike to the right for a bit then the left
removed plug and got a cup or 2 of oil out
 
rich_imp said:
don't we have a video of someone doing a oil service
after draining he put the plug in then tilted the bike to the right for a bit then the left
removed plug and got a cup or 2 of oil out
That's what I do on one leg of the centre stand without putting the plug back in plus the other way by pushing down on the rear, more oil always comes out.
 
j3gq_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've never known changing the oil on the CB1100, or any of my inline-4s to be messy.

Heck, the messiest part may have been pouring the used oil into a container for recycling and drying up the catch pan.
@GO: There must be a misunderstanding. Oil change isn't messy at all, very simple job indeed. But draining 200ml of oil through the drain bolt, while keeping 3 or 3.5 L of clean, new oil inside the engine, is - believe me - a messy job. Of course I could have drained it all, collect it, and refill it. But this just seemed ... TOO much for such a rainy day ;)
Cormanus_imp said:
j3gq, I always change the filter as well as the oil and the bike takes the recommended 3.9 litres.
I didn't want to do the filter as the user manual (EX, 2017) requires the filter change every 2nd year only, but the oil every year.
I didn't want to do the filter as the user manual (EX, 2017) requires the filter change every 2nd year only, but the oil every year.
Sure, my manual says the same thing. I was, however, trying to make the point that, in my experience the quantity of oil specified is correct.
 
Notice that the Engine oil capacity is 4.9 litres after disassembly. On a regular 3.8/3.9L oil change that is still a 20% residual of old oil on any change. I guess how much is left trapped in your engine must vary from change to change. I did tilt my bike a little left and right on my last change and got some more out but still probably no more than 3.8/3.9L.
 
Back
Top