Oil Level Sight Glass Question

olekzap_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Quick question about the oil level in the sight glass.

I had it changed at the dealership a couple days ago and noticed that when it's leaning on the sidestand there is none visible in the viewer. If I put it on the centerstand it will eventually fill up to about 3/4 of the way to the top line, but this didn't happen until I shut the engine off and let it sit. Will the engine running or not change the level in the glass? My thought is that it shouldn't show up as full as not running if it's all being circulated around the moving parts and doing its job, is that correct?

I believe this indicates that the level is fine, can anyone with more knowledge confirm for me so I can either stop worrying about it or get some oil and top it off?

I apologize if this has been covered already. I read through some old oil threads and didn't see anything about it.
 
Olekzap. On the side stand the oil is away from the window, so it won't show up. On it's two wheels standing straight up, or on the centerstand, the oil will show up in the window depending on how much oil is in there. Proper procedure is to put bike on level ground on centerstand. Warm up engine for 2 to 3 mins. Turn off for 3-5 mins and then observe level in window. OIl should be between upper and lower lines on crankcase
 
Sounds like yours is filled correctly according to the manual. My bike is new, 300 miles on it, and the sight glass is full to the top on the center stand from the factory????
 
Yes they come slightly over filled. Some of us assume this is a safeguard for oil usage while the engine is breaking in.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Olekzap. On the side stand the oil is away from the window, so it won't show up. On it's two wheels standing straight up, or on the centerstand, the oil will show up in the window depending on how much oil is in there. Proper procedure is to put bike on level ground on centerstand. Warm up engine for 2 to 3 mins. Turn off for 3-5 mins and then observe level in window. OIl should be between upper and lower lines on crankcase
Sounds like mine is perfect then, thank you for the info. I tend to worry about these little things too much sometimes haha. Part of the reason I thought it might have been low is because my receipt only listed 3.5 qts being used. The other two times I've had it changed it listed 4 qts. I'm guessing it's not the exact amount put in the bike but rather the way they enter it into the system for billing.

I need to start doing it myself again just so I know it's done correctly but living in an apartment makes that difficult.
 
It is SOOOOOOOO easy on the CB.

See how to do your own 600 mile service thread in How To section.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
It is SOOOOOOOO easy on the CB.

See how to do your own 600 mile service thread in How To section.
I figured it was. I used to do it on my Shadow 600 and there's nothing hard about it. I have all the tools. It's just dealing with disposing of the oil and lugging all the tools down several flights of stairs. Also my lease has something in it about not doing work on cars in the garage but I think that's more to keep someone from trying to restore a car down there or something. As long as I don't make a mess it should be fine.
 
It's oil ... Mess is it's middle name
 
Back
Top