Oil level difference between check

zirconxi_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi guys, not sure if its been post before, but it seems oil level are different depend on you stop engine and park on center stand or side stand right away. I had been baffled by my cb100 oil level which fluctuate up and down. Initially i thought the engine have taken in some water hence the oil level increases. But yesterday i have found out that if i have stop the engine and put on center stand right away, my oil level will be lower compare to if i stop engine, put on side stand, after few minutes only put on center stand to check. It seems some oil will be trapped somewhere and never flow back to oil pan if we were to maintain the bike upright position after stop the engine. The difference are quite big as the oil can be at top mark (stop engine on center stand) or overfill the whole sighting glass (stop engine on side stand, wait few minutes and put on center stand to check). The question is which level should we trust?
 
If you follow the procedure in owners manual I believe it says put bike on center stand on level ground, , warm up engine for 2 to 3 mins. Turn off engine, wait 2 to 3 mins and then check oil level. All other methods of checking oil level will give differrnt readings.
 
From the owners manual...

1. Park your motorcycle on it's center stand on a firm, level surface.
2. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Turn the ignition off, stop the engine and wait 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Check that the oil level is between the upper and lower level marks in the oil inspection window.
> If required, clean the inspection window by turning the wiper.

Ben
 
Both replies are correct . This bike is the easiest to check oil and change oil and filter. I think that is why I am drawn to this bike by it’s simplicity and engineering.
 
One shouldn't do it, but I very seldom to never check the oil level of the CB. When I bought the Honda, I sometimes did it, to get used to the machine and see if something went going. It didn't, not the oil.

So after nearly 57.000km the CB didn't need a slight drop of fresh oil between oil changes. It's doesn't loose or burn oil. It just runs and works. The Honda is the least I would check for the oil level. This may be a mistake, I'll regret later. But I trust her. The oiltemperatur meter shows the same values I'm used to for years in different seasons and trips. Why worry? The engine is fine.

Wisedrum
 
+1
I don't routinely check mine either. The bike neither drips nor burns oil. I simply change it according to the book and all is fine.
 
I have also noted this curiosity. When i changed the oil i leant the bike over in both directions to get it all out and then filled with 3.9 litres so i know there's enough in there and now i dont worry about it.
 
(+1) On Honda products in general, I don't bother to check oil level any more after the successful completion of an oil change.
 
Hello from Germany
I am experiencing a similar problem where I had a local shop do routine maintenance on my 2017 RS. When bringing it home I checked the oil level (per HONDA recommendation) and observed that the oil level was NOT EVIDENT ... I assumed that the shop had under filled so I topped up the oil. Next day I took her for a ride and upon returning and checking the oil level (as per HONDA recommendation) I observed that the oil level was over filled! I understand that having too much oil can cause significant problems so I removed some oil (about the same amount that I had topped up) and then checked again.... Only to find the same issue with no oil appearing in the site glass?. I am now waiting to take the bike for another ride BEFORE doing another top up. Has anyone else experienced this?? Is there a possibility of a vacuum lock?. Or?.
Thanks to all
Mitch
 
LongRanger_imp said:
+1
I don't routinely check mine either. The bike neither drips nor burns oil. I simply change it according to the book and all is fine.
Plus two , never check between yearly oil change , does not leak or burn oil.
 
Houtman_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
+1
I don't routinely check mine either. The bike neither drips nor burns oil. I simply change it according to the book and all is fine.
Plus two , never check between yearly oil change , does not leak or burn oil.
Plus two , never check between yearly oil change , does not leak or burn oil.
+3
 
Same with my CB. Oil? Never been a problem. So, why worry? Every now and then I do an oil change, not even stick to Honda's recommended interval. I lenghten it.

Wisedrum
 
Mitch, take the bike for a ride, come home, put it straight on the centre stand and check the oil after 4 or 5 minutes. If you can see oil, it’s good.
 
I generally check the oil about every second ride 'cause I like to play with the little wiper thingie.
 
This topic came up before in this forum, and I am experiencing a similar issue. I follow the Honda recommended procedure for checking the oil and the results vary from time to time. When I mentioned this on an earlier post there was a variety of different responses. I checked my oil buy the book, one time, and it was low - to the bottom line on the sight glass. I drove straight to the shop to buy a quart. When I came out after purchasing the quart my oil level had returned to the normal (upper line in the sight glass) level. This is not the only time this situation has happened.
 
Many Thanks Dave..

I continue to experience the same problem... follow the instructions exactly and continue to get different results... my worry is that I had the bike serviced by an new and unknown dealership .... I will most likely drain all of the oil and measure it and then refill with new oil and filter with exactly 3.9 litres...
 
Mitch_imp said:
Many Thanks Dave..

I continue to experience the same problem... follow the instructions exactly and continue to get different results... my worry is that I had the bike serviced by an new and unknown dealership .... I will most likely drain all of the oil and measure it and then refill with new oil and filter with exactly 3.9 litres...
I don't think, that would be a good idea. Just make sure, you measure always at the same place, e.g. in the garage. The Honda should stand up right.

Same procedure of measurment should provide similar results.

Place it up right (always the same place)
Let it idle 4 minutes
Switch off and wait 4 minutes
Look at the glass.
 
Back
Top