Oil filter

Funny thing is... if there was a definitive test, one beyond reproach that proved a certain oil filter or oil was the best for our bikes, people would still dismiss it and argue that this weight is better or that filter is better because , as humans, that's just the way we are.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Funny thing is... if there was a definitive test, one beyond reproach that proved a certain oil filter or oil was the best for our bikes, people would still dismiss it and argue that this weight is better or that filter is better because , as humans, that's just the way we are.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Stealth128_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Purolator PureOne oil filter Part # PL14612.
That is what I use also. 7.19 each on Amazon and free shipping if you buy 5. My local stealer wanted 20 dollars a piece which I think is just outrageous and I dont know who even makes the filter. I would not be against using the oem filter if I knew who made it and if I could get a decent price on them.
That is what I use also. 7.19 each on Amazon and free shipping if you buy 5. My local stealer wanted 20 dollars a piece which I think is just outrageous and I dont know who even makes the filter. I would not be against using the oem filter if I knew who made it and if I could get a decent price on them.
Is this Purolator PL14612 one rated for motorcylces? According to Purolator the use of their car filters on motorcycles will void your warranty.

Thanks,
That is what I use also. 7.19 each on Amazon and free shipping if you buy 5. My local stealer wanted 20 dollars a piece which I think is just outrageous and I dont know who even makes the filter. I would not be against using the oem filter if I knew who made it and if I could get a decent price on them.
Is this Purolator PL14612 one rated for motorcylces? According to Purolator the use of their car filters on motorcycles will void your warranty.

Thanks,
Pretty sure this has been debunked many times. The filter does not know if its on an airplane, motorcycle, car, truck, or sea doo jet ski. An internal combustion engine is just that. ONe of these has been on my 750 Nighthawk for nearly 6K miles and it has not blown up yet. Believe what you want but truth be told the purolator is probably better than the oem cause we dont dont know who Honda farms it out to for the cheapest price. I will never ever support my local HOnda dealers because of price and lack of knowledge and just general BS they come off with that they expect you to take for gospel.
FWIW, at some point in the previous decade the Harley Big Twin engines went through some design/manufacturing changes. Because of this they spec DIFFERENT (Harley branded) oil filters for bikes BEFORE that year and DIFFERENT (Harley branded) oil filters for bikes SINCE that year. The difference between the 2, as I understand it, is that the newer filters are spec'd for finer filtration than the older ones.
So, in that case at least, it actually DOES matter which filter one uses (and they are both motorcycle filters !).
 
Houtman_imp said:
There is an oil filter "test" on the net where they cut open new filters from different brands and the Honda OEM came out very good.
Why would Honda sell bad filters , they have them made for them and are in the warranty business for their products
I always buy the Honda filters and also their oils.
That logic would put an end to all oil/filter debate threads and then what? :clap:
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
There is an oil filter "test" on the net where they cut open new filters from different brands and the Honda OEM came out very good.
Why would Honda sell bad filters , they have them made for them and are in the warranty business for their products
I always buy the Honda filters and also their oils.
That logic would put an end to all oil/filter debate threads and then what? :clap:
That logic would put an end to all oil/filter debate threads and then what? :clap:
There'd be very little need for motorcyle forums. Ferret and Guth would have to find other gainful employment. :banana:
 
Stealth128_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Funny thing is... if there was a definitive test, one beyond reproach that proved a certain oil filter or oil was the best for our bikes, people would still dismiss it and argue that this weight is better or that filter is better because , as humans, that's just the way we are.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Per the calsci site above, Purolator wants you to buy their Chinese made MC spec filter.
 
Stealth128_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Funny thing is... if there was a definitive test, one beyond reproach that proved a certain oil filter or oil was the best for our bikes, people would still dismiss it and argue that this weight is better or that filter is better because , as humans, that's just the way we are.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Do what ever makes you comfortable. I do the same. 6K miles on a 750 nighthawk with purlator filters not recommended for motorcycles and it has not blown up yet. Uses no oil ect.....


If you want to pay out the nose for HOnda oil and filters do it. I wont. Im totally comfortable with running shell rotella and purlator filters which probably are better than honda spec stuff which nobody knows who makes anyway.

Check back with me when you know who makes "honda oil and filters"? Castrol is rumered but not confirmed from my reasearch. Who knows who makes the filters? Either is probably ok if you just change it now and again. I would like to think I am smarter the the Honda marketing team of ripping off consumers with oil changes ect and wont budge. I will sail my own boat and dont need dealers. Rotella 15w 40 and purlator filters for me.
 
Honda filters are made by "Toyo Roki" it's written on the can itself. They make filters for several motorcycle OEMs and for Toyota (very high quality with a funky synthetic media). The ones they make for Honda are a well-made filter, but yeah nothing out of this world compared to alternatives.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Stealth128_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Funny thing is... if there was a definitive test, one beyond reproach that proved a certain oil filter or oil was the best for our bikes, people would still dismiss it and argue that this weight is better or that filter is better because , as humans, that's just the way we are.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Do what ever makes you comfortable. I do the same. 6K miles on a 750 nighthawk with purlator filters not recommended for motorcycles and it has not blown up yet. Uses no oil ect.....


If you want to pay out the nose for HOnda oil and filters do it. I wont. Im totally comfortable with running shell rotella and purlator filters which probably are better than honda spec stuff which nobody knows who makes anyway.

Check back with me when you know who makes "honda oil and filters"? Castrol is rumered but not confirmed from my reasearch. Who knows who makes the filters? Either is probably ok if you just change it now and again. I would like to think I am smarter the the Honda marketing team of ripping off consumers with oil changes ect and wont budge. I will sail my own boat and dont need dealers. Rotella 15w 40 and purlator filters for me.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Do what ever makes you comfortable. I do the same. 6K miles on a 750 nighthawk with purlator filters not recommended for motorcycles and it has not blown up yet. Uses no oil ect.....


If you want to pay out the nose for HOnda oil and filters do it. I wont. Im totally comfortable with running shell rotella and purlator filters which probably are better than honda spec stuff which nobody knows who makes anyway.

Check back with me when you know who makes "honda oil and filters"? Castrol is rumered but not confirmed from my reasearch. Who knows who makes the filters? Either is probably ok if you just change it now and again. I would like to think I am smarter the the Honda marketing team of ripping off consumers with oil changes ect and wont budge. I will sail my own boat and dont need dealers. Rotella 15w 40 and purlator filters for me.

I can not believe what I am reading !
 
kmoney_imp said:
Honda filters are made by "Toyo Roki" it's written on the can itself. They make filters for several motorcycle OEMs and for Toyota (very high quality with a funky synthetic media). The ones they make for Honda are a well-made filter, but yeah nothing out of this world compared to alternatives.
Thats good to know. I dont doubt they are of good quality but my problem lies in the price from dealers. 15-20 dollars seems excessive to me for an oil filter when the one on my truck is 4-5 dollars that is oem. AD delco by the way. STill, Im paying about 7 bucks for purlators which seems to be a little high to me.
Houtman_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Stealth128_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Funny thing is... if there was a definitive test, one beyond reproach that proved a certain oil filter or oil was the best for our bikes, people would still dismiss it and argue that this weight is better or that filter is better because , as humans, that's just the way we are.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Do what ever makes you comfortable. I do the same. 6K miles on a 750 nighthawk with purlator filters not recommended for motorcycles and it has not blown up yet. Uses no oil ect.....


If you want to pay out the nose for HOnda oil and filters do it. I wont. Im totally comfortable with running shell rotella and purlator filters which probably are better than honda spec stuff which nobody knows who makes anyway.

Check back with me when you know who makes "honda oil and filters"? Castrol is rumered but not confirmed from my reasearch. Who knows who makes the filters? Either is probably ok if you just change it now and again. I would like to think I am smarter the the Honda marketing team of ripping off consumers with oil changes ect and wont budge. I will sail my own boat and dont need dealers. Rotella 15w 40 and purlator filters for me.
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Do what ever makes you comfortable. I do the same. 6K miles on a 750 nighthawk with purlator filters not recommended for motorcycles and it has not blown up yet. Uses no oil ect.....


If you want to pay out the nose for HOnda oil and filters do it. I wont. Im totally comfortable with running shell rotella and purlator filters which probably are better than honda spec stuff which nobody knows who makes anyway.

Check back with me when you know who makes "honda oil and filters"? Castrol is rumered but not confirmed from my reasearch. Who knows who makes the filters? Either is probably ok if you just change it now and again. I would like to think I am smarter the the Honda marketing team of ripping off consumers with oil changes ect and wont budge. I will sail my own boat and dont need dealers. Rotella 15w 40 and purlator filters for me.

I can not believe what I am reading !
That is exactly why I have purchased both motorcycle spec filter as per manufacture.
K&N and the Honda OE. I'll rotate between the two of them just to be on the safe side. My understanding is if you use a filter that meets or exceeds the manufactories
Spec for that motorcycle it doesn't matter what filter you use . That's kinda why I don't understand the use of Pure One filters? The company that produces the filters recommends not using car filters on motorcycles. So my final question is if you are using out of spec filter how would that roll in a court of law? You definitely can't claim
Ignorance.
I have been unable to find any manufactories, dealers supporting this.
Do what ever makes you comfortable. I do the same. 6K miles on a 750 nighthawk with purlator filters not recommended for motorcycles and it has not blown up yet. Uses no oil ect.....


If you want to pay out the nose for HOnda oil and filters do it. I wont. Im totally comfortable with running shell rotella and purlator filters which probably are better than honda spec stuff which nobody knows who makes anyway.

Check back with me when you know who makes "honda oil and filters"? Castrol is rumered but not confirmed from my reasearch. Who knows who makes the filters? Either is probably ok if you just change it now and again. I would like to think I am smarter the the Honda marketing team of ripping off consumers with oil changes ect and wont budge. I will sail my own boat and dont need dealers. Rotella 15w 40 and purlator filters for me.

I can not believe what I am reading !
lol, what cant you believe? Everyone here knows I am a cheapskate. Thats common knowledge. :D
 
What I can not believe is the fact that you trust Honda to make a complicated machine like a motor cycle but do not trust them to have high standards for the oil and the filters with their name on it.
The oil is the blood of the engine and Honda has to warranty the quality of their products.
If you cut open new oil filters you can really see the difference in construction.
Nothing against Shell, I always use their gas but when it comes to oil and filters I play it safe.
Dutch people (as myself) are frugal too but being cheap is not always cost effective in the long run !
 
Seems to me the only truly important thing to keep in mind when buying motor oil is that it meets or exceeds the standards set by Honda. Shell Rotella is a very high quality oil that exceeds the standards. No doubt Honda filters are the highest quality but there are filters of equal quality for far less money. The Honda branded oils and filters cost more for the benefit of Honda dealers. Same with all the other motorcycle brands. They sell oil and filters with their brand name and recommend that you use these products exclusively in their bikes. I think it best to use what you feel comfortable with. Compared with what most of us spend on farkles, the cost of oil and filters is a rather mute point.
 
Houtman_imp said:
What I can not believe is the fact that you trust Honda to make a complicated machine like a motor cycle but do not trust them to have high standards for the oil and the filters with their name on it.
The oil is the blood of the engine and Honda has to warranty the quality of their products.
If you cut open new oil filters you can really see the difference in construction.
Nothing against Shell, I always use their gas but when it comes to oil and filters I play it safe.
Dutch people (as myself) are frugal too but being cheap is not always cost effective in the long run !
Im with you to a point. HOnda does not make oil filters or oil They farm it out and put their name on it and mark it up 3 prices. Im sure its ok. Just not 3 times as good. I dont doubt what you are saying at all. Im just not willing to pay the price. I think its as big or hoax as global warming.

I change the oil in my 750 every 2500-3000 miles to be on the safe side. Probably overkill. I also change the filter at each change which is probably overkill. So, the filter debate is probably worthless with frequent changes but I somehow got into it.

I think if you just change the oil and filter every now and then again you will be fine no matter the oil, make viscosity, brand, ect............
 
Thread starter
After listening to this thread I have decide to buy all my filters and oil from my dealer. First the oil and filters are really not that much more. I also like supporting my dealer so that they are still at the same location and not out of business because they have no customer support. So if I do need warranty work I would have to drive another 40 miles to a dealer that I don't know. The Honda dealers that I dealt with over the years have always been accommodating and honest, I never got ripped off
or had bad service from a Honda dealer. Yes they may have a third party make products and label them with the Honda name bottom line is that they have to meet Hondas specs and that bar has always been set high. You can use a car spec filter on your motorcycle which puts it out of spec. Don't believe me pick up the phone and call a filter manufactories they will tell you what filter to use on your motorcycle
I did a few years ago very interesting conversation one said they never claimed their
car filters were designed for motorcycles and flat out said using such would void your warranty. Ok let's say Hondas filter was $10.00 dollars more then the Walmart filter
you change filters twice a year $20.00 more a year to spend on your $10,000 motorcycle. I don't get it?
 
Somebody, I don't know if it was in this thread, was asking if anyone knew of an oil filter cover for greater protection of the filter. I came across something interesting to me on Amazon. "PC Racing PCS1 polished aluminum and stainless reusable oil filter" Its not cheap, about $88, but is reusable over and over. Uses stainless filter material, not paper. They claim it's also used in NASCAR. It also seems very solid. The internal filter is separate from the outer case. Both parts look incredibly strong.
 
Thread starter
So I was bored today and decided to call a few more oil filter manufactories. They all basically said never use a car oil filter on a motorcycle. So me being me I said on the web I found cross references matching car oil filters too motorcycles. They do not recommend this practice. Anyway I did learn something mew the pressure or back flow valve was totally different from car filters to motorcycle filters interesting did not know that.. Sounds like the type of information to start a endless thead.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Somebody, I don't know if it was in this thread, was asking if anyone knew of an oil filter cover for greater protection of the filter. I came across something interesting to me on Amazon. "PC Racing PCS1 polished aluminum and stainless reusable oil filter" Its not cheap, about $88, but is reusable over and over. Uses stainless filter material, not paper. They claim it's also used in NASCAR. It also seems very solid. The internal filter is separate from the outer case. Both parts look incredibly strong.
I use this oil filter in my cb 1100, road king 88", xl 1200 c, never problem
http://muzzys.com/ReusableOilFilter/images/Reusable-Oil-Filter_02.jpg
 
Back
Top