Oil Filter Options

Thread starter
Looks like the Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100 after all.

The threads on the Bosch are significantly closer to the mounting point on the bike, which would explain the reports of leaks when using the Bosch 3300 on a CB1100.

Apparently the Bosch 3300 used to fit, but received a design "update" that makes them unusable for Honda motorcycles.

Pic included for reference. The threaded portion of the Bosch 3300 is a full 5 mm closer to the gasket, which interferes with the gasket seating correctly on a CB1100.

Hope this saves someone else the hassle. Fortunately I can use the Bosch 3300 in my car.
Repeat...

The Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100, and should be removed from the list of equivalent oil filters.
 
2017EX_imp said:
I only use OEM Honda oil filters ( part number 15410-MFJ-D01 ) and full synthetic Honda HP4S oil. Everyone is entitled to use whatever they want in their own bikes, but my philosophy is why would I want to stray away from using oil and filters other than what Honda calls for in an expensive engine? Now, provided it is the correct type and viscosity, going with a different brand oil like Mobil 1 is no big deal. But to me the filter is a whole different ball game, case in point being K&N filter failures, among others.

Apparently there is now a new part number for the stock Honda oil filter, 15410-MFJ-D01, which is 15410-MFJ-D02. The D01 original filter is/was made by Roki, whereas the D02 is made by Wako. Other than manufacturer I have not been able to find anything about any other difference between the two. Here is a page from Babbits showing the new part number for the oil filter ( #10 of the parts listed ): https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/58e2bbf787a866054c370bb3/oil-pan-oil-pump

There are numerous listings online, including Amazon and eBay for these filters at less than $20 each, just search with the part numbers. That said, check out the attached link showing how to spot counterfeits of these oil filters first.
Genuine vs Counterfeit Honda Oil Filters
Also included in this link, below the real vs counterfeit Honda filter video, is a video comparing actual performance of a real vs counterfeit Toyota oil filter that is interesting. Name brand cross over filters might be OK ( I personally would still not trust K&N ) assuming that they are genuine, but for any small savings in price I am staying with OEM Honda.

:biker:
I saw this post with the link about fake filters and checked my stock in the garage. If I am understanding correctly, according to this 1000rr.net thread post, the filters I have which I bought from my local Honda shop are fakes. I sent the attached pics to my trusted friend at the dealer and he said these are real. What is going on here?

358d52f53036dbfc0203b245139f2211.jpg


f9ed05840893a275d636fc7b25a0c3c9.jpg
 
Yes it was pointed out a long time ago on this forum. Honda updated the D01 filters to a D02 filter. The CB 1000 thread was totally wrong.

There is a multi page thread on the subject called Counterfeit Oil Filters. Im on my tablet right now or Id link to it. See post 100 in that thread.
 
Thread starter
BTW, My local Honda dealer charged me $26 bucks for one D02 Chinese oil filter. Yes, that price includes sales tax. I could have bought one on Amazon for $17. And yes, I am still looking for a good non-Honda oil filter to use in my Honda bikes. I will probably use the White Wix filters on my white Shadow... I may go back to K&N on the Cb1100 despite their recent lug nut issue.

$26 for a Chinese oil filter is usurious.
 
You can generally get oem Honda oil filters online for around $10 each delivered to your door
 
Because it is made in China doesn't mean it is counterfeit. Our import laws require companies to indicate on the product what country it is made in. Many countries are now having their products made in China because China can do it cheaper. If you threw away everything in your house and garage that was made in China, you'd have a lot more space and probably have much smaller wardrobe as well.
 
My only remaining question is...Why hasn't this link/post/thread been removed permanently considering that it has been proven to be wrong? Would have saved me some time, aggravation, and embarrassment for sure.
 
We leave threads in the archives for reference. There is info contained in this thread that may have value to someone besides the info about the CB1000 forum providing false/misleading info.
 
Thread starter
Ok, back on topic... Lol

What oil filters, besides the Honda branded filters, will work on the CB1100?

I believe that K&N and Wix are still functional alternatives. I think there is a Fram filter too.
 
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Looks like the Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100 after all.

The threads on the Bosch are significantly closer to the mounting point on the bike, which would explain the reports of leaks when using the Bosch 3300 on a CB1100.

Apparently the Bosch 3300 used to fit, but received a design "update" that makes them unusable for Honda motorcycles.

Pic included for reference. The threaded portion of the Bosch 3300 is a full 5 mm closer to the gasket, which interferes with the gasket seating correctly on a CB1100.

Hope this saves someone else the hassle. Fortunately I can use the Bosch 3300 in my car.
Repeat...

The Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100, and should be removed from the list of equivalent oil filters.
I will try to remove it from my list right now but may need the moderators to edit the post since it was so long ago.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=239589#pid239589

Yes I cannot edit the Oil Filter cross reference due to the edit time constraints. Mods?

Just need to remove the Bosce 3300 from the list. As discovered above it does not fit after the update to its design.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart. I've used the Hiflo a few times no problems. I mainly use the Mobile 1 filter found at walmart also though. Its the same size for 2 of my other bikes and I believe my subaru also so easy to keep a few around.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Looks like the Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100 after all.

The threads on the Bosch are significantly closer to the mounting point on the bike, which would explain the reports of leaks when using the Bosch 3300 on a CB1100.

Apparently the Bosch 3300 used to fit, but received a design "update" that makes them unusable for Honda motorcycles.

Pic included for reference. The threaded portion of the Bosch 3300 is a full 5 mm closer to the gasket, which interferes with the gasket seating correctly on a CB1100.

Hope this saves someone else the hassle. Fortunately I can use the Bosch 3300 in my car.
Repeat...

The Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100, and should be removed from the list of equivalent oil filters.
I will try to remove it from my list right now but may need the moderators to edit the post since it was so long ago.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=239589#pid239589

Yes I cannot edit the Oil Filter cross reference due to the edit time constraints. Mods?

Just need to remove the Bosce 3300 from the list. As discovered above it does not fit after the update to its design.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart. I've used the Hiflo a few times no problems. I mainly use the Mobile 1 filter found at walmart also though. Its the same size for 2 of my other bikes and I believe my subaru also so easy to keep a few around.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I will try to remove it from my list right now but may need the moderators to edit the post since it was so long ago.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=239589#pid239589

Yes I cannot edit the Oil Filter cross reference due to the edit time constraints. Mods?

Just need to remove the Bosce 3300 from the list. As discovered above it does not fit after the update to its design.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart. I've used the Hiflo a few times no problems. I mainly use the Mobile 1 filter found at walmart also though. Its the same size for 2 of my other bikes and I believe my subaru also so easy to keep a few around.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Thanks for the reply, and for the effort you made to compile the original list.

Which model Mobil 1 filter are you using?
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Looks like the Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100 after all.

The threads on the Bosch are significantly closer to the mounting point on the bike, which would explain the reports of leaks when using the Bosch 3300 on a CB1100.

Apparently the Bosch 3300 used to fit, but received a design "update" that makes them unusable for Honda motorcycles.

Pic included for reference. The threaded portion of the Bosch 3300 is a full 5 mm closer to the gasket, which interferes with the gasket seating correctly on a CB1100.

Hope this saves someone else the hassle. Fortunately I can use the Bosch 3300 in my car.
Repeat...

The Bosch 3300 does NOT fit the CB1100, and should be removed from the list of equivalent oil filters.
I will try to remove it from my list right now but may need the moderators to edit the post since it was so long ago.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=239589#pid239589

Yes I cannot edit the Oil Filter cross reference due to the edit time constraints. Mods?

Just need to remove the Bosce 3300 from the list. As discovered above it does not fit after the update to its design.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart. I've used the Hiflo a few times no problems. I mainly use the Mobile 1 filter found at walmart also though. Its the same size for 2 of my other bikes and I believe my subaru also so easy to keep a few around.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I will try to remove it from my list right now but may need the moderators to edit the post since it was so long ago.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=239589#pid239589

Yes I cannot edit the Oil Filter cross reference due to the edit time constraints. Mods?

Just need to remove the Bosce 3300 from the list. As discovered above it does not fit after the update to its design.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart. I've used the Hiflo a few times no problems. I mainly use the Mobile 1 filter found at walmart also though. Its the same size for 2 of my other bikes and I believe my subaru also so easy to keep a few around.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Thanks for the reply, and for the effort you made to compile the original list.

Which model Mobil 1 filter are you using?
I will try to remove it from my list right now but may need the moderators to edit the post since it was so long ago.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=239589#pid239589

Yes I cannot edit the Oil Filter cross reference due to the edit time constraints. Mods?

Just need to remove the Bosce 3300 from the list. As discovered above it does not fit after the update to its design.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HiFlo make a filter that fits the CB1100.
(+1) on the HiFlo.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart.
(+1) on the HiFlo. Thank you for that.

It seems that the Fram PH 6017a also fits the CB1100, and they seem to be well reviewed, with a silicon drainback valve, a plus for hot running engines, and they're black, which fits the blacked out engine on my 2014 standard. They're $6.63 at Walmart.

Also, Walmart's house brand SuperTech ST6607 will also fit our CB1100s, but they only come in blue or white. I believe the drain back valve is rubber nitrile, so less than an ideal match for the oil cooled CB1100, but they should fit. I am going to try one of these on my Shadow 750, as that motor runs relatively cool, and the filter is hidden underneath, so color isn't a consideration. $2.99 at Walmart. I've used the Hiflo a few times no problems. I mainly use the Mobile 1 filter found at walmart also though. Its the same size for 2 of my other bikes and I believe my subaru also so easy to keep a few around.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Thanks for the reply, and for the effort you made to compile the original list.

Which model Mobil 1 filter are you using? The M1-108 or the M1-110

No problem at all I enjoy contributing when I can.

Both listed as motorcycle filters but the 110 is a little longer. They are the same size for my old Yamaha XJ600s a friend and I had and we both used the mobile 1s for years and alot of miles with no problems. I dont think any filter would "give me a problem" persay but I just stick with what has worked thus far. I can say that the K&N have gotten stuck on more bikes than I can count in my group. That damn bolt they weld on for a wrench always strips and then its a messy pain in the ass getting the filter off.

I think the 110 is a pretty popular size for other vehicles so usually I'll grab either/or at walmart or an autoparts store based on availability.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
The only question I have is when people say " I /they had no problem using "X' oil filter . what kind of problem are they waiting for : oil on the rear wheel , engine seizing up , excessive engine wear ??? I only ever use Honda OEM oil filters , cheap enough if you buy multiples at one time.
 
Back
Top