Oil Filter Options

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Besides the factory 15410-MFJ-D01, what are some good options for the CB1100?

I wouldn't even start this thread if my local Honda dealer didn't charge $19.99 plus tax for a single Honda oil filter.

Since the CB1100's oil filter is exposed at the front of the engine, a filter with a thicker than average metal canister is probably a good idea.

Also, since the header pipes are immediately in front of the oil filter, there is a physical limit to how long an oil filter can be and still fit.

I did a search and found a lot of oil threads, but nothing that specifically addresses the options when choosing an oil filter.

Thanks in advance for not crucifying the new guy for asking an oil-related question!
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Besides the factory 15410-MFJ-D01, what are some good options for the CB1100?

I wouldn't even start this thread if my local Honda dealer didn't charge $19.99 plus tax for a single Honda oil filter.

Since the CB1100's oil filter is exposed at the front of the engine, a filter with a thicker than average metal canister is probably a good idea.

Also, since the header pipes are immediately in front of the oil filter, there is a physical limit to how long an oil filter can be and still fit.

I did a search and found a lot of oil threads, but nothing that specifically addresses the options when choosing an oil filter.

Thanks in advance for not crucifying the new guy for asking an oil-related question!
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14295

I slapped together a filter reference thread some time ago. Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Hi, TBH I would just pay the $20 for the proper filter. It’s a very small price to pay for total piece of mind and a once a year purchase. If you are really concerned about filter thickness why not consider cutting the old filter skin off and slipping it over the new one. If you take your time it could be a very neat and discreet job. One of the forum masters will no doubt recall anyone suffering a punctured oil filter, I can’t say I’ve ever read about it.
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Besides the factory 15410-MFJ-D01, what are some good options for the CB1100?

I wouldn't even start this thread if my local Honda dealer didn't charge $19.99 plus tax for a single Honda oil filter.

Since the CB1100's oil filter is exposed at the front of the engine, a filter with a thicker than average metal canister is probably a good idea.

Also, since the header pipes are immediately in front of the oil filter, there is a physical limit to how long an oil filter can be and still fit.

I did a search and found a lot of oil threads, but nothing that specifically addresses the options when choosing an oil filter.

Thanks in advance for not crucifying the new guy for asking an oil-related question!
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14295

I slapped together a filter reference thread some time ago. Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14295

I slapped together a filter reference thread some time ago. Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I also found this, which looks like where you got your info.

Oil Filter Cross Reference

Apparently the new Mobil 1 M108A is slightly longer than the older M108, which might make it a no-go for our CB1100s.

It turns out that my VT750C2 Shadow and Nissan Note both use the same size filter as my CB1100.

It would be great if I could find a high quality filter that I could use for all three.


Ps. I just realized that I have been using the Bosch 3300 on my Nissan Note. It's a premium filter but less expensive than the Mobil or Honda filters. They have been working well in the Nissan, so it looks like I will be trying them on my bikes as well in the not too distant future.
 
I can't help think you are overthinking this. Just buy a known brand name filter designed for the bike and be done with it. I used a "Champion" filter on my last oil change but only because it was in stock and the easiest to purchase. Whether they make it themselves I don't know but it will be fine.

When you say things like "They have been working well in the Nissan", how do you know that, what metric have you used? Do you mean they clean your oil exceptionally well as compared to another filter you have used or you haven't had a motor failure and you attribute that to the filter? How have you measured your Nissan filter performance?
 
I have nothing to say about this other than DO NOT USE K&N FILTERS or any other filter with a hex nut on the end to aid removal. There have been at least four or five cases reported on this forum of them failing. It's ugly when they do and oil trickles out all over the engine. Luckily no-one has been killed or hurt as a result.

Having said that, I suspect it was a dodgy batch of filters and the problem is unlikely to recur, but having seen it happen, I'll have none of them just in case.

I generally use more than one filter a year and I can't see any reason not to buy the Honda one.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I have nothing to say about this other than DO NOT USE K&N FILTERS or any other filter with a hex nut on the end to aid removal. There have been at least four or five cases reported on this forum of them failing. It's ugly when they do and oil trickles out all over the engine. Luckily no-one has been killed or hurt as a result.

Having said that, I suspect it was a dodgy batch of filters and the problem is unlikely to recur, but having seen it happen, I'll have none of them just in case.

I generally use more than one filter a year and I can't see any reason not to buy the Honda one.
+1 that happened to me too with the K&N. I only use Mobile 1 filters on all my bikes at this point with no problems. Both my yamahas and the CB all use the same Mobile 1 filter so its easy to have them around for me. Never again will I use K&N



Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Just buy the OEM Honda filters , cheap enough if you buy multiple ones at the same time. I buy 6 at the time , if you buy them with some other parts you need you can save on shipping as well . Oil is like the blood in YOUR body , keep it flowing with the right parts.
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
I can't help think you are overthinking this. Just buy a known brand name filter designed for the bike and be done with it. I used a "Champion" filter on my last oil change but only because it was in stock and the easiest to purchase. Whether they make it themselves I don't know but it will be fine.

When you say things like "They have been working well in the Nissan", how do you know that, what metric have you used? Do you mean they clean your oil exceptionally well as compared to another filter you have used or you haven't had a motor failure and you attribute that to the filter? How have you measured your Nissan filter performance?

Calibrated eyeball. Oil in my Nissan still runs clear when I drain it out after 3k miles. Manufacturer suggested interval is 5k.

Clear oil tells me the filter is working as it should.

I think you're right about buying a name brand filter designed to fit the bike. The problem is, which filters fit the bike isn't always transparent.

It's funny, there are a bunch of people on the Nissan forums who swear by the Nissan filters and will impugn the integrity of anyone suggesting a different brand...

Personally I'm not convinced that the Honda filters are the best. Good enough, yes, but I have seen nothing to justify the high prices compared to other *premium* oil filters.

For now both of my Hondas have new Honda filters. Next time I will probably go with the Bosch 3300, but who knows?

If the Mobil 1 or Champion filters are on sale I'd be fine using either one of those.

Question... For those using the Mobil M-108, does the new slightly longer M-108A still fit behind the pipes?

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies!
 
i recently took the honda filter appart after my first change and the honda filter is very well constructed as good or better than wix, puralater witch are 2 other brands i run i have had bad experiences with fram filters coming apart inside un less you buy their very expensive line of filters i build engines as a hobby and i cut open almost every filter i use to inspect for engine damage
 
cj599_imp said:
i recently took the honda filter appart after my first change and the honda filter is very well constructed as good or better than wix, puralater witch are 2 other brands i run i have had bad experiences with fram filters coming apart inside un less you buy their very expensive line of filters i build engines as a hobby and i cut open almost every filter i use to inspect for engine damage
I too cut open my Honda filter this week, it was the -D01, US-made one. I was impressed by it's construction as well, and I'm not usually inclined to buy OE parts just because of the name.
 
Scotty_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
i recently took the honda filter appart after my first change and the honda filter is very well constructed as good or better than wix, puralater witch are 2 other brands i run i have had bad experiences with fram filters coming apart inside un less you buy their very expensive line of filters i build engines as a hobby and i cut open almost every filter i use to inspect for engine damage
I too cut open my Honda filter this week, it was the -D01, US-made one. I was impressed by it's construction as well, and I'm not usually inclined to buy OE parts just because of the name.
I too cut open my Honda filter this week, it was the -D01, US-made one. I was impressed by it's construction as well, and I'm not usually inclined to buy OE parts just because of the name. what are the odds of that lol
 
I only use OEM Honda oil filters ( part number 15410-MFJ-D01 ) and full synthetic Honda HP4S oil. Everyone is entitled to use whatever they want in their own bikes, but my philosophy is why would I want to stray away from using oil and filters other than what Honda calls for in an expensive engine? Now, provided it is the correct type and viscosity, going with a different brand oil like Mobil 1 is no big deal. But to me the filter is a whole different ball game, case in point being K&N filter failures, among others.

Apparently there is now a new part number for the stock Honda oil filter, 15410-MFJ-D01, which is 15410-MFJ-D02. The D01 original filter is/was made by Roki, whereas the D02 is made by Wako. Other than manufacturer I have not been able to find anything about any other difference between the two. Here is a page from Babbits showing the new part number for the oil filter ( #10 of the parts listed ): https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/58e2bbf787a866054c370bb3/oil-pan-oil-pump

There are numerous listings online, including Amazon and eBay for these filters at less than $20 each, just search with the part numbers. That said, check out the attached link showing how to spot counterfeits of these oil filters first.
Genuine vs Counterfeit Honda Oil Filters
Also included in this link, below the real vs counterfeit Honda filter video, is a video comparing actual performance of a real vs counterfeit Toyota oil filter that is interesting. Name brand cross over filters might be OK ( I personally would still not trust K&N ) assuming that they are genuine, but for any small savings in price I am staying with OEM Honda.

:biker:
 
Thread starter
I would definitely hope that a genuine Honda filter would provide superior performance compared with an imposter counterfeit filter!

Since I have three vehicles that all use the same filter, I am going to continue using the Bosch 3300. I didn't realize that my two current Honda bikes could use this filter as well as my Nissan Note.

It's interesting to me that the Bosch filter is also made in the USA, and on tear-down, internally it looks an awful lot like the US made Honda filter, including the red silicon reverse-flow valve.


At $4 each, it is highly unlikely that anyone will try to manufacture counterfeit Bosch 3300 filters.

In fact, using Honda filters purchased from anywhere besides an authorized Honda dealer, you run an increased risk of obtaining an inferior counterfeit filter with subpar performance compared to genuine premium filters such as the Bosch or Mobil 1.

Apparently Walmart sells a $3 filter made by Champion that gets respectable reviews as well, the Super Tech Oil Filter, ST6607.

Unfortunately the ST6607 is blue, not black, so it's not a good aesthetic fit for the CB1100, but it's good to know that there are options.

I have been using the Bosch 3300 for several years in my car with good results and they are black as well.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Here's another video in support of sticking with the OEM Honda filter...

Not really applicable to where we have our filter but what a great video for the owners of those bikes. You could see that happening a lot.
 
Back
Top