Oil Filter Change: Every oil change or every other?

dbarkdoll_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Just wondering if y'all replace the oil filter every oil change, or every other oil change as the user manual suggests. If you do every other, do you leave the oil filter in place, or take it off and drain it? Thanks.
 
Ditto on every oil change.

Did my first at 519 miles (9 days in service), with GN4 to finish break-in.

Did my second at 4011 miles (<90 days in service), with HP4S (Honda synthetic).

With synthetic, I may go to 9,000 miles (instead of 8,000 miles), to the next change, depending upon color and level.

Then before the summer heat, I plan to change to Castrol Power One, 10W-40. With trips planned for Death Valley and Laughlin in April, Duck Creek and Grand Canyon North Rim in May and Prescott in early June, that will put me easily at 8,000 to 9,000 miles by mid June.

Side note: Wife asked me to prep the house air conditioner today to prepare for company, after church, tomorrow. Our two weeks of Spring is already over!

Back to the primary question: One reason to use a new filter each change ("cheap insurance" is an accurate statement) is that if the filter has reduced flow from contaminants, the internal bypass will open, so that the oil is no longer filtered.

I started out by ordering the Honda oil filter + wrench, part 15410-MCE-H51. With the well fitting cap wrench, I will continue with the Honda oil filter part 15410-MFJ-D01
 
New filter = new synthetic oil = every 5-6000 km/3 - 4000 mi = no exceptions = OEM = trouble free :biker:

pb
 
"With synthetic, I may go to 9,000 miles (instead of 8,000 miles), to the next change, depending upon color and level."

9,000 on odometer, instead of 8,000 = 5,000 miles interval, instead of 4,000 miles interval, "depending upon color and level"
 
Fresh GN4 oil & new oem filter every 4,000 miles.
 
I have used 3,000 mile oil chnage intervals on 4 wheel vehicles most of my life.

With synthetic blend, my 2016 truck is now at 4,000 mile intervals.

All manufactures, of which I am aware, have extended recommended oil change intervals for synthetic.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advice/car-maintenance/synthetic-oil-change-interval

Honda's recommendation of 4,000 miles is for non-synthetic.

Therefore, possibly extending to 5,000 miles for synthetic seems reasonably conservative.

Will see how the color looks at 8,000 miles on the odometer.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Thanks SportsterDoc :thumbsup:, I know that but I stay with my intervals
:beerchug:

pb
No criticism, at all.

I used Castrol pure synthetic on my Triumph and, if I remember correctly, changed it every 3,000...some habits are deeply ingrained!

Hoever, I am at 6,200 mikes in less than 5 months and most miles are long distance cruising. Next 4 trips are 400 or 700 miles, each.
 
Thread starter
Well, FWIW, my machine has had all of her scheduled oil changes with GN4 and a new oil filter on each, and I agree with the cheap insurance mantra, so thanks for the reassurance y'all. :thumbsup:
 
This is a direct translation from portuguese, but here we usually say that "changing oil without changing filter is like having a bath without changing underwear". I believe that this is pretty understandable.
 
Thread starter
I completely understand the notion of changing the filter with every oil change. I wonder why the manual suggests every other. Seems like it would benefit them to make the interval every oil change, it would make them more money and help preserve the reliability of their machines.
 
For the minimal amount extra it may cost to install a new filter I always do change it. In fact in AU Honda sell a service pack which contains a filter, drain plug washer, and HP4 which can be found in most bike shops for the same cost as a single container of oil ... the filter is free.
 
On one oil change a while back, I re-used the filter...but I wouldn't do it again. After removing the filter to let it drain, I had to reinstall it much, much tighter than it was before, just to keep it from leaking. For the price of a filter, it simply doesn't make sense not to put a new one on.

People seem to over-think oil, and I am not one of them. It gets changed once a year, usually in April or May, regardless of how many miles I ride the bike.
It works out well though....a 5,000 mile year is pretty average for me.
 
well here's my .o2 worth... most bikes I change filter every other time. this bike is different. you can't change all 5 quarts. 1 quart stays in the sump. so on this bike I change every time.
 
Back
Top