Oil drain plug

Thread starter
I used the Honda gasket, wider. Although when I did my last change the Honda washer spread out enough I had to unthread it off the plug. The same washer on the stock plug came right off??? 22 ft lbs each time, but I have a cheap torque wrench, that might have been it, those washers are soft.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I used the Honda gasket, wider. Although when I did my last change the Honda washer spread out enough I had to unthread it off the plug. The same washer on the stock plug came right off??? 22 ft lbs each time, but I have a cheap torque wrench, that might have been it, those washers are soft.
Ok, thanks.
 
Serious bummer with my 600 mile oil change. I broke the head off the magnetic drain plug. It cannot be torqued to 25nm. I would suggest if you use this plug, no more than 15nm at the most, it is just too fragile and does not have the bulk of the original.

I SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THIS WHEN I SAW IT, SO I GUESS IT'S A BIG SHAME ON ME.:@

They are coming to pick up the bike on Monday and take it to the shop to extract the stump. Thank God it didn't strip the crank case.
 
Oh man. And the service manual says 30 Nm...
 
meowguy_imp said:
Serious bummer with my 600 mile oil change. I broke the head off the magnetic drain plug. It cannot be torqued to 25nm. I would suggest if you use this plug, no more than 15nm at the most, it is just too fragile and does not have the bulk of the original.

I SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THIS WHEN I SAW IT, SO I GUESS IT'S A BIG SHAME ON ME.:@

They are coming to pick up the bike on Monday and take it to the shop to extract the stump. Thank God it didn't strip the crank case.
Meow, was the plug made of steel or alloy? I had purchased a magnteic plug for my XR650L once and sent it back upon discovering it was alloy. Hope your ride is OK.
 
meowguy_imp said:
Serious bummer with my 600 mile oil change. I broke the head off the magnetic drain plug. It cannot be torqued to 25nm. I would suggest if you use this plug, no more than 15nm at the most, it is just too fragile and does not have the bulk of the original.

I SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THIS WHEN I SAW IT, SO I GUESS IT'S A BIG SHAME ON ME.:@

They are coming to pick up the bike on Monday and take it to the shop to extract the stump. Thank God it didn't strip the crank case.
Thanks for sharing Meowguy...!
 
Geez, $35 bolt breaks off......I wonder if you just went by feel and not the torque wrench if you would be OK?
Oh, and Meowguy, this could come back to haunt you about tools needed....
-------------------------
RE: Tools you'll need

A great thread and thanks to the ferret for giving us this.

One thing I am a stickler on is the proverbial torque wrench. You really need to include two of them in your list. You will need one that goes from from 0 to 250 inch pounds and another to take you up to at least 80 foot pounds. That's a nice looking 32mm above, but what's missing?

You just cannot do the job properly without knowing you are torqued correctly.


---------------------------------
 
Quote:Oh, and Meowguy, this could come back to haunt you about tools needed....
I stand by what I said. I changed the equation. The new drain plug was not strong enough for that much torque and I failed to pick up on that before installation.

I further believe that if you have a Honda, you use only Honda parts on the major mechanical stuff. You wouldn't think a drain plug falls in that category but it does.

Whether the "Dimple" is alloy or not I couldn't say but the red flag should have been it's size. The head on it is only 13mm, the original is 17mm and much more massive looking.
 
Thread starter
Holy crap, I feel bad saying anything now. I have one in my dirtbike also, changed that one 5 times now and the CB 3 times. I've been setting the wrench for 22ft lbs.
That really stinks, I'd be pissed.
 
Careful of the scale on the wrench. Some are in kg-m instead of n-m.......thats about 10x too much. Or you could be using a bad wrench that's no good in the first place. Also most torque wrenches are not accurate in the lower and upper 20% of their range.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Geez, $35 bolt breaks off......I wonder if you just went by feel and not the torque wrench if you would be OK?
Oh, and Meowguy, this could come back to haunt you about tools needed....
-------------------------
RE: Tools you'll need

A great thread and thanks to the ferret for giving us this.

One thing I am a stickler on is the proverbial torque wrench. You really need to include two of them in your list. You will need one that goes from from 0 to 250 inch pounds and another to take you up to at least 80 foot pounds. That's a nice looking 32mm above, but what's missing?

You just cannot do the job properly without knowing you are torqued correctly.


---------------------------------
This is true in most areas of life!!

Chip
 
Back
Top