Oil cooler

You might be right Noleshot, but they still have to meet US federal emission and noise regulations, and the EU regs too. Plus AUS and whatever the rest of the world has.

It would be interesting to try though. Wanna volunteer? :) Don Guhl can reflash your ECU and give you any fuel map you want. Maybe a PCV can do the job instead. Give it try and remove your cooler. Let us know... J/K ya know. Don't blame me if you burn valves or melt a piston!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You might be right Noleshot, but they still have to meet US federal emission and noise regulations, and the EU regs too. Plus AUS and whatever the rest of the world has.

It would be interesting to try though. Wanna volunteer? :) Don Guhl can reflash your ECU and give you any fuel map you want. Maybe a PCV can do the job instead. Give it try and remove your cooler. Let us know... J/K ya know. Don't blame me if you burn valves or melt a piston!
This could be attempted in Florida where there are no vehicle inspections. I happen to like the looks of the oil cooler but I'm tempted by the thought of 4 big Mikunis AND the oil cooler!
 
Just came across this old thread...
Has anyone done any mods to the oil cooler or is every single cb1100 on this forum running stock?
I too think it's a bit of an eyesore and blocks the view of the crown jewels.
Anyone have the curved oil cooler mounted to the forks? Would love to see pics of that and seems to me the best solution and enhancement to the aesthetic of a critical bike part.
 
I think one member moved his some so he could fit an old Windjammer fairing.
 
CB1100DLX_imp said:
Just came across this old thread...
Has anyone done any mods to the oil cooler or is every single cb1100 on this forum running stock?
I too think it's a bit of an eyesore and blocks the view of the crown jewels.
Anyone have the curved oil cooler mounted to the forks? Would love to see pics of that and seems to me the best solution and enhancement to the aesthetic of a critical bike part.
As everyone knows, I also hate the looks of it. Heck, if Honda would of made it a little bigger, they could of made it a liquid cooled engine instead. :rofl:
 
Tomas, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum on the oil cooler. I like it because it's functional and aesthetics-wise, it brings to mind the race bikes of the 70s.

But I totally get how you and others might not like it for its radiatoresque stature and it's just plain blocking the showpiece engine.

And even as a fan of oil coolers, I'm quick to admit, they can be taken possibly too far.

 
Rolls_imp said:
Tomas, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum on the oil cooler. I like it because it's functional and aesthetics-wise, it brings to mind the race bikes of the 70s.

But I totally get how you and others might not like it for its radiatoresque stature and it's just plain blocking the showpiece engine.

And even as a fan of oil coolers, I'm quick to admit, they can be taken possibly too far.


Wow, is that car for real................that's crazy.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
For the sake of vanity (and for no other reason), I'd like to toss the oil cooler on my CB, but I imagine it's a bad idea. I understand Honda had issues controlling cylinder head temps and my removing the oil cooler would likely make things worse. Still, to me, it uglies up the bike. Has anyone tried this and lived to tell about it?
Somehow one of my favorite films comes to mind.

 
What a beautiful bike! I suspect the owner sprayed the tank and side covers and did away with the pin striping. I notice, too, that RLETs have been installed. As they should be!

Wonder what the mirrors are?
 
It has a number of subtle mods, doesn't it? I also noticed the turn signals...practically invisible but yet they look like they'd still give good signalling.
 
We have seen that bike here before. I remeber commenting on putting stickers on the side covers. JUst not sure how to dig up the thread.
 
Back
Top