Oil Change/Shifting/Local ride pic

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Changed the oil today. Went from 10W-40 to 10W-30 and I swear I noticed an immediate change in the way the bike shifted. Just seems to be less noisy and the shifts feel softer if not necessarily smoother. Took the bike out and ran it for 30 miles over the backside of the Wasatch Crest into Ogden Valley and back to the house. Picture is about 8 miles from home and 4,000 feet higher.

6fcace11720f5a34614981d5e0ae59d1.jpg
 
I notice the same every time I change to fresh oil or so it seems. It was especially so in a Triumph Tiger 1050 I had. You knew it was time for an oil change when the shifting got dodgy.
 
Thread starter
Changed the oil at 3K and now at 6K. Surprised there was so much difference in the "quality" (for lack of a better word) of the shifts. Stepping down the recommended 30 weight may have had something to do with it.
 
Gosh you sure live in some beautiful country. Love those mountains
 
Thread starter
Honda's house brand Pro-Honda GN4. Bought right off the shelf from my Honda dealer in gallon container or quart size.
 
Those are interesting observations to me because I've never noticed any change in gear shifting after an oil change in any bike I've owned or currently own.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Those are interesting observations to me because I've never noticed any change in gear shifting after an oil change in any bike I've owned or currently own.
With the CB I think it's simply a false perception for me just as my bike always seems to run better right after a wash and detailing. The Triumph was another matter as there was a noticeable degrading of shift quality once oil had about 3K miles on it.
 
There was a lot of discussion on using 10W30 vs. 10W40 in our bikes. Some (not all by any means) reported engine or transmission noises when using 10W40 that went away when they switched back. Some had no problems.

I don't think anyone ever figured out exactly what was going on.

I am not starting an oil thread here! :) I would, but we don't have a popcorn eating smiley...
 
It just depends on temperature of your environment. If it's generally below 15°C (60F), use 10W30, if it tends to be more above, take 10W40. It's that simple.

For me that means early spring, late autumn, some rides in winter: 10W-30
Summertime: 10W-40.
 
Django,

Starting an oil thread huh? :P

Yes I know what you said is in the manual. ALL that was discussed. Over and over. Didn't change the results. Some had noises with 40wt. some didn't/don't. Personally, I just use the 10W30 no matter what. I don't care what brand/weight others use.

I posted it so that new guys would know it's been discussed in case they wanted to search for it.

Now if Guth would only get a popcorn eating smiley... :D
 
too early for popcorn. Now if we had a waffle smiley.......
 
The ferret_imp said:
too early for popcorn. Now if we had a waffle smiley.......
Yeah that would be great! But do you use 10W30 or 10W40 syrup? :rolleyes:
 
I use the recommended syrup of course ;)
 
I love waffles. Especially from the diner. What were we discussing.
I agree a bike can feel better shifting with a oil change. Its very slight. Ive noticed this more in other bikes other than the CB.
 
Back
Top