Ohio River Scenic Hwy, Hwy 7

4 Paws_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anybody familiar with this road?
I'm looking for a pleasant way to ride from Marietta OH to SW PA, this road along the Ohio river looks tempting. Not in a hurry.
Any advice appreciated.
 
Yep ridden it many times. Runs between Ohio and West Virginia. Designated Ohio River Scenic Byway. The state thinks the river is scenic but it's just a big ol dirty river lol. Not a bad road, good surface, 55 mph limit on most of it. Just north of Marrietta you will be on the border of Wayne Natl Forest which would be on your left with wooded hillsides. On your right will be a small flat and then the river. We eat in Fly, Ohio on Rt 7 fairly often. Neat little restauarant on the bank of the river next to a Ferry we take when coming back from a loop in West Virginia. ( will be riding that loop at the end of the month and eating at Fly lol).

On a side note all of the roads going away from the river 800, 255, 536, 148, 78 are all fun roads to ride.( will be riding all of them at the end of the month too) and 26 running n/e out of Marrietta is fantastic.
 
SpamJ_imp said:
May I suggest the 555? Won't get you to PA, but Magic.
Very fun -- and highly technical. Decreasing radius turns and blind rises with sudden direction change immediately after. Be careful and you'll have a blast.
 
That's the northern section of 555 above rt 550. the southern section from 550 south to7 is a much safer and for me enjoyable road ( riding that at the end of the month too lol)

4 Paws, how are you getting to Marietta, and which bike are you riding?
 
Thread starter
I sold my Ural recently and bought a Triumph T100 Bonneville that I'm having a Watsonian Monza sidecar mounted onto. Dropping the bike off this weekend in Marietta and after the sidecar is mounted I was going to take 5 or 6 days to get home. First stop is my sisters in SW PA and then who knows, generally heading south. Since I'll be on a new bike with three wheels I'm not immediately searching out technical roads to ride, save them for the CB. Lots of tempting roads in the area and I figure a day or so to get used to the new rig then I can explore a bit.
Thoroughly enjoy sidecars and beginning to plan a longer ride hence the upgrade from the Ural.
Figured the "Scenic Highway" was anything but; looked like a simple 4 hour run on it should get me far enough north to hang a right and work my way towards my destination while giving me an acclamation period on a new to me bike.

Input appreciated.
 
Yea skip the side roads which are hilly and curvy and stick with 7 on a new rig. The Blue Ridge is scenic, the Ohio river not so much. Would be prettier in October, but a leisurly ride up the river on a motorcycle can't be a bad thing, can it?
 
Hmmm never eaten there

I could recommend the BOathouse BBQ down on the river for dinner, and the 3 rd street cafe for lunch
 
Ferret, Rossi Pasta is just not a restaurant, just a store to pick up many varieties of pasta.

Now the Busy Bee was always good for an interesting breakfast, not sure if it is anymore.
 
So what did you think of the Bonnie and the hack? Good rig?
 
Thread starter
Bonnie is a good bike. Rode the Seneca Hwy for the first time and I loved it! I really enjoy W Va. First time I've explored Ohio and I had fun there too, met some good folks along the way. Country stores are a good place for a gas stop. Spent a lot of time sitting on picnic tables talking bikes and roads. Several invites for dinner and a place to sleep.
Very light hack in the mountains is a handful but the roads were so dang good I called my wife and said I'd be a day late getting home. I was.

If y'all want to have the next rally in West Virginia I think I'll join you. The CB would eat those roads up!
 
Back
Top