OEM Honda Fork Boots

2017EX_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have been thinking about adding fork boots to my 2017EX for some time now. I like the old school look, but also protecting the fork tubes from stone nicks, dust, and dirt. Up to this point the fork boot options for the CB1100 have been aftermarket, or other bike brands ( Kawasaki, Triumph, etc. ) that happened to be of a size that would fit.

Now there are OEM Honda boots made for our 41mm forks, as they are standard equipment on the 2019 CB1100EX. None of the parts houses in the U.S. have 2019 CB1100EX parts diagrams or parts availability yet, so I emailed Mr. T at Samurider. They cannot be seen in the pictures of the 2019, but aparantly the Honda boots also use zip ties to secure, according to Mr. T.. It has been my experience that sometimes these applications have low profile dedicated zip ties, and sometimes they are run of the mill generic, so I asked Mr. T. to include the zip ties in his quote.

The price for a set of boots with zip ties and shipping, Mr. T. put at $110. Currently the zip ties are out of stock at the Honda warehouse, so Mr. T. estimated 5 weeks form order to customer receiving the parts. Maybe a little bit on the pricey side compared to other options, but I prefer OEM and will probably be ordering a set shortly. Mr. T. said he will probably be adding OEM Honda fork boots to parts listings available for the CB1100 on Samurider.
 
That's great info, thanks 2017.

I'll soon be placing my big order with Mr T, and Honda OEM boots will be the way I will go too.
 
Thread starter
obleo_imp said:
I like your thinking , please post some pics after installed, thanks in advance.
Yes, I will be posting pics of the final product with boots, but with the stated delivery time at the moment, and getting the time to do the installation, it will probably be at least a couple of months down the road.

Although not particularly difficult to do, I have never personally done this MOD before. The shop manual, and YouTube videos I have studied all call for removal of both forks at the same time, except one video. That one particular video pointed out that if the boot installations are done one fork tube at a time, there will always be one fork tube holding fork alignment. This made absolute sense to me, and is something that may not have occurred to me had I not seen that video. Also suggested was attention to which bolts use thread locker, and anti seize on steel bolts into aluminum. Other than that, I would not recommend doing this MOD without using a torque wrench. Hope this info helps. :biker:
 
Plan for about an hour to an hour and a half. Definitely pay attention to the encoding wheel and sensors - treatment them with care.
 
If you haven't changed your fork fluid yet, it would make sense to do it now while you have them off the bike. it is super easy to do. I use kerosene to clean the internals, and Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF at 4" from the top collapsed.
 
Thread starter
Today I pulled the trigger, and ordered a set of 2019 CB1100EX OEM Honda fork boots with dedicated ( I assume they are dedicated/specialized, but who knows at the moment ) zip ties from Mr. T. at Samurider. The cost charged to my PayPal account for the parts, including shipping after conversion from Yen to Dollars was $108.26.

I had explained to Mr. T. that in addition to 2019 parts not being available yet in the U.S., exploded diagrams and part numbers for the 2019 are not available yet as well. So, I asked Mr. T. if he could email me a PDF of the 2019 front fork assembly exploded parts diagram showing the boots and zip ties, as well as the part numbers. If Mr. T. sends me that info, I will post it for everyone. :biker:
 
2017EX, I dealt with him few times = professional service.... And do not forget about pics, before and after installation, or you will face 5 demerit points from your M license alone :P:)
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
2017EX: are you able to get Mr. T to tell you the part number via email, since he was able to order them?
That is what I requested, along with exploded parts diagram PDF. If he supplies the info I requested I will post it for everyone.
peterbaron_imp said:
2017EX, I dealt with him few times = professional service.... And do not forget about pics, before and after installation, or you will face 5 demerit points from your M license alone :P:)
LOL, absolutely, I definitely dont want any demerits, so before and after pics is a done deal when the time comes.
 
FWIW somewhere on the forum the ferret posted a tutorial on installing fork gaiters/boots on the 1100. I used it as a guide when I did mine - winter 2018.
It's not a sticky that I could find so can't make a link to it.
I think I may have used the forum search feature to find it, but still had to do a lot of digging.
It's well worth the time to find and read.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
2017EX: are you able to get Mr. T to tell you the part number via email, since he was able to order them?
Mr. T has been off for the Japanese National Holiday ( April 30 to May 6 ), so he just replied back to me. Here are the part numbers for the 2019 CB1100EX, The Boots : 51611-MGC-JQ2 ( each )
The Zip Tes/Clamps: 51612-MGC-JQ1 ( each )
Mr. T also sent me the 2019 exploded parts diagram, attached below.

The diagram does show that something is used the secure the upper end of each boot, but I have no idea whether they are just zip ties, or metal clamps with tightening screws. Judging from the pictures of the 2019EX, if they are in fact metal clamps, they would appear to be black. Whichever they are, they were on back order when I ordered them and the boots, so I wont know the answer to that question until Mr. Ts estimated arrival to me in early June.

Here are some clamps other members have used,
Cookiemech used black metal Kawasaki clamps, Band Part # 92072-1046 ( each ), with Band Screw Part#220AB0416 ( each )

Tink used silver Honda metal clamps ( Honda includes the clamp screw ) Part #51612-KA4-831 ( each )

I will update when the parts arrive, and of course before and after pictures when the project is done.

 
Thread starter
Installed the OEM Honda fork boots yesterday. Spent the day in garage listening to my favorite CDs on the boom box, and took my time, taking a drink from my coffee cup from time to time. Is also took longer than necessary, because I was cleaning parts before putting them back on. I was surprised to find that the only bolts that had thread locker on them were the four caliper mounting bolts. Per the Shop Manual, all four caliper bots were new. As for all the other bolts, that threaded into aluminum, they all received a small amount of of anti seize. In Ferrets excellent tutorial thread on fork boot installation, johnnyj wrote in post #14 about breaking an Allen wrench trying to remove one of the axle pinch bolts. Since I did not find any thread locker on any bolts except the caliper bolts, I am wondering if that was a steel bolt seized in an aluminum hole? The Honda clamps are black, with black zinc screws. Originally I had thought to use stainless clamp screws with acorn nuts, but discovered it was not feasible to use the acorn nuts because of screw length and proximity to the lower fork bridge. Since the clamp screw thread is exposed, I like the stainless for corrosion resistance. The length of the replacement is the same as stock, cross head, M3 with .50 pitch. Very pleased with the slightly different new look.
 
Back
Top