OEM Fuel Tank Replacement Questions

suhawk305

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday, I ordered a replacement fuel tank (2014 CB1100 Standard, black) on Partzilla:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/cb1100-ac/fuel-tank-fuel-pump
On the illustration, it is item "4": 17520-MGC-N40ZC TANK, FUEL (TYPE3)
I looks like it comes with the Honda wing tank badge, tape, etc.
But my Question is:
Does the tank already have the red stripe decal on it, or is that a separate item I should have ordered?
It appears on my existing fuel tank, that decal strip has clear coat covering it. The decal stripe I am talking about:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/cb1100-ac/mark
or https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/cb1100-ac/mark-1

I also ordered the:
Item 7: 17574-MFA-D00 GASKET, BASE
Item 11: 17711-S0X-931 RETAINER

What happened? Two very embarrassing drops:
The evening before my Berea Rally trip, I was in a hurry to load and strap down my CB on a typical Home Depot utility trailer...(by myself with little motorcycle trailering experience). I has the right side strapped and was tightening the left front ratchet. While tightening, the strap got bound-up. While unbinding the strap, it let loose and the right strap pulled the Cb over, landing onto the trailer side rail. The side rail put a crease dent along the lower side of the tank and dented the muffler can (OEM replacement also ordered). The second drop was when I was parking the CB in Berea which resulted in a torn RLET (already replaced) and a scratch in the muffler can.
 
Suhawk
It will come with the stripes, but without the badges. You should be able to get some 2 sided tape from a local body shop and transfers wing badges from your original tank
The original pump gasket and blue green fuel pump clip should transfer ok it you want to try.
I ve swapped tanks and pumps several times with no gasket or fuel clip leak.
 
When I ordered mine , OEM Japan/Takashi, came with stripes, badges, completely painted...I only had to transfer : gas cap & f/pump ass-y....1/2 hr job depending how much gas is left in your present tank.
Hope this helps.

pb
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I check with Mr. T first. His prices were pretty good, but I save over $100 USD with Partzilla (no shipping charge).
Mscb, Maybe we should get together and I will video you breaking a time record of swapping tanks, even faster you did in Berea! Lol. Seriously, your description of the fuel line disconnect will help me, when that time comes. I seen various posts on this forum on that subject.
 
Thread starter
5f9bcaeb27f9b3b4543f78f4de01abc1.jpg

Well my new fuel tank, with the wing badges and red trim stripes, was delivered today. Unfortunately, Partzilla pack all the parts in one box, which included the muffler. The tank has two nasty dents, probably due to the muffler’s mounting bracket finding its way through the packing material to the tank side. The muffler gasket was squished. Unbelievable! The box revealed some some rough handling by UPS. I am working with Partzilla to get replacement parts. Meanwhile, I will ride with my original tank, which is not that bad.

In case anyone is wondering, the fuel tank did not come with the warning labels! You have add the labels to your order. :rofl:
 
Dumba.....

That is their own fault for being so stupid as to put anything in the box other than the tank.

I really hope they don't try to push that liability & replacement cost off onto the shipper.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Dumba.....

That is their own fault for being so stupid as to put anything in the box other than the tank.

I really hope they don't try to push that liability & replacement cost off onto the shipper.
You are right on both points Josh. I told the Partzilla service rep that the tank should of been in a separate box, but they still wanted pictures of everything including the box so they may make a claim again UPS.

I just got my return shipping label. Let them sort it out.
 
Still not a ringing endorsement for them. Companies can have great sales people and great prices and be killed by the people in their shipping department. Every bit as critical as all the rest but so many neglect it.
 
Too bad, suhawk. Pretty sloppy work by Partzilla, though.
 
I would imagine that the tank comes without labels as different countries have different rules, and languages.

For example, Cormanus’ label probably says: Mate, wear a helmet and watch for ‘roos. :P
 
On the money popgun, except it’s “... watch for *#@%ing ‘roos!”
 
:rofl: :beerchug:
 
When I got my '13 CB all English labels were still on the tank...and when I peeled'em off there were 2 X $100 bills, one Australian and one American...lol.
 
Thread starter
Update: I received an undamage tank from Partzilla over a month ago. I decided to not install it until I had protective film put on the knee areas and rear of the tank. A local automotive body repair shop did the job for me. The protective film was applied to the area designated by the arrows:

8b124b942e8039553c2ee9087dbe7c75.jpg
 
suhawk305_imp said:
5f9bcaeb27f9b3b4543f78f4de01abc1.jpg

Well my new fuel tank, with the wing badges and red trim stripes, was delivered today. Unfortunately, Partzilla pack all the parts in one box, which included the muffler. The tank has two nasty dents, probably due to the muffler’s mounting bracket finding its way through the packing material to the tank side. The muffler gasket was squished. Unbelievable! The box revealed some some rough handling by UPS. I am working with Partzilla to get replacement parts. Meanwhile, I will ride with my original tank, which is not that bad.

In case anyone is wondering, the fuel tank did not come with the warning labels! You have add the labels to your order. :rofl:
Darn .. hate this .. now have to wait longer to ride your bike. Happened twice to me this summer when ordering car hood replacement for daughters car. 1st replacement was damaged by FedEx. 2nd one came dented from store house. Hope they get you a replacement tank asap.
 
Thread starter
Actually bflint, I received the replacement tank shown on my post #15. I have been riding with the original (slightly dented) tank all summer.
I’ll probably install the replacement tank later this fall, have to research the forum and my service manual to see how the gas line connector comes apart.
 
At some point UPS and FedEx will begin pushing back on companies who fail to properly package goods for shipment. There's no incentive to spend the time and money to properly pack goods if shippers are willing to accept liability for damaged shipments.

I bought a battery from an Amazon reseller and it arrived in an oversized box with no packing material, completely free to flop around with no cushioning. It hasn't failed yet but I can't believe it doesn't have internal damage. The reseller would not allow me to exchange it for another one. In hindsight, I should have refused the shipment.
 
Thread starter
You’re spot-on LR. The customers are impacted too.

In my case, Partzilla email me an UPS return shipping label. That’s fine, but Partzilla instructed me to keep the original shipping box in the event UPS needs to investigate the box. I spent a better part of a day to find a appropriate sized and sturdy-enough of a box to ship the tank back to them (auto body shops, etc). Not finding a box, I gave-up and brought the tank to a UPS store. It costed $30 for them to wrap and box the tank for shipment. I sent a claim to Partzilla for reimbursement and they never responded.
 
Back
Top