OE Bridestone tires: My $0.02

Scotty_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I recently replaced my tires with the Bridgestone BT-54R. OEM tire in OE sizes. I did my research and know that they are not long wearing, particularly the front due to minimal tread depth.
Anyway, with around 400 miles on them, maybe a bit less, I can report that I really like them. I'm getting good feedback from the tires in the twisties; when something slips a little, or moves in an unexpected way, I don't get the feeling of being on the ragged edge.
I just hope that front tire lasts - it already has me inspecting its wear. Yes, I'm diligent with tire pressure.
 
Excuse my ignorance, but why there's a wire in the center groove of the front tire? Or perhaps the photos had tricked my eye??
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
I don't know how aggressively you ride, but 400miles is a barely broken in tire, I think you should relax

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Stay tuned.
zirconxi_imp said:
Excuse my ignorance, but why there's a wire in the center groove of the front tire? Or perhaps the photos had tricked my eye??
Color from the mold. Not wire.
 
My 2014 came with the Dunlops, which apparently aren't available anymore. I've had three sets of the OEM Bridgestones in stock sizes and have been happy with their performance, but not thrilled about the wear rate. I've gotten about 8,000mi out of each set.

A few weeks ago I mounted a new set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8's in stock sizes but will not be able to try them out until Spring.

Are there any other choices of matched front & rear sets in stock sizes?

 
I was very disappointed with the original Dunlop tires my 2014 Dlx came with. The front tire exhibited extremely uneven wear, and developed a minor case of head shake after a few thousand miles. Was this due to imbalance? Possibly, but this was not obvious. I have switched to the Bridgestone Battlax tires and am very happy with them.
 
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
My 2014 came with the Dunlops, which apparently aren't available anymore. I've had three sets of the OEM Bridgestones in stock sizes and have been happy with their performance, but not thrilled about the wear rate. I've gotten about 8,000mi out of each set.

A few weeks ago I mounted a new set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8's in stock sizes but will not be able to try them out until Spring.

Are there any other choices of matched front & rear sets in stock sizes?
That's a good looking tire, I also like your blacked out rims
1a5f924b7c552c7fba45c2581db2a2de.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
RandyB got like 19,000 miles out of his rear OEM Bridgestone, but like everyone else, only got about 6 out of the front if I recall correctly.

Mine originally had Dunlop's and I believe they lasted a little over 8000 miles. I'd run them again, but they were hard to get...then impossible to get. Switched to the Michelins which I really liked, but again became hard to get....then impossible to get.. Now I am on Pirelli Angel GTs. Also happy with them, but don't know about the mileage yet, and I've heard they are being discontinued in sizes that will fit our bikes ( and those aren't stock sizes.).
 
Bridgestone BT31s come in the stock sizes. Radial options other than the Metzlers are hard to find.
 
The ferret_imp said:
RandyB got like 19,000 miles out of his rear OEM Bridgestone, but like everyone else, only got about 6 out of the front if I recall correctly.

Mine originally had Dunlop's and I believe they lasted a little over 8000 miles. I'd run them again, but they were hard to get...then impossible to get. Switched to the Michelins which I really liked, but again became hard to get....then impossible to get.. Now I am on Pirelli Angel GTs. Also happy with them, but don't know about the mileage yet, and I've heard they are being discontinued in sizes that will fit our bikes ( and those aren't stock sizes.).
This was my report on the front.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1145&pid=13181#pid13181

OK, here is where I replaced my first rear.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13166&pid=214531#pid214531
 
Thread starter
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
My 2014 came with the Dunlops, which apparently aren't available anymore. I've had three sets of the OEM Bridgestones in stock sizes and have been happy with their performance, but not thrilled about the wear rate. I've gotten about 8,000mi out of each set.

A few weeks ago I mounted a new set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8's in stock sizes but will not be able to try them out until Spring.

Are there any other choices of matched front & rear sets in stock sizes?
LWJ, it's pretty much the BT-54 and the Z8 if you, like me, want to stick to OE size and radial. The (other) OE Dunlops may still be available.
I am liking these new BT-54s. Nice feel. But I am a backcountry, winding roads rider, usually just for pleasure, with little highway riding, so I think I may be looking get another front before too long if I stick with the BT-54. I'll keep y'all posted.
 
Back
Top