Observed Valve Clearance

Does anyone here have a source for valve shims other than a dealer? Also, are the shims on the newer 1100s compatible with the 1983 model? I just found out my spare engine has a set of Andrews racing cams in it. They call for .004 inch on both sides and I will need to reset all of them when I reassemble it.
:thanks:
 
The shim sizes are unlikely to be compatible. There are multiple shim sizes but the most popular today is the 7.5mm (7.48mm). 25mm were very popular on bikes in the 80's and 90's.

As an example, my 1995 Triumph are 25mm shim over bucket and the 2017 CB1100EX is a smaller shim under bucket. Smaller shims are used on more modern engines to reduce the mass which has to move very fast.

There are no end of online sellers. You just need to get the right diameter for your bike and then the right thickness depending on your requirements. You might find a shim kit better value for money if you have a lot to do but possibly not, it just depends on what you need and how much time you have to spare.
 
Tev62_imp said:
The shim sizes are unlikely to be compatible. There are multiple shim sizes but the most popular today is the 7.5mm (7.48mm). 25mm were very popular on bikes in the 80's and 90's.

As an example, my 1995 Triumph are 25mm shim over bucket and the 2017 CB1100EX is a smaller shim under bucket. Smaller shims are used on more modern engines to reduce the mass which has to move very fast.

There are no end of online sellers. You just need to get the right diameter for your bike and then the right thickness depending on your requirements. You might find a shim kit better value for money if you have a lot to do but possibly not, it just depends on what you need and how much time you have to spare.
Thanks for your input. I have 25mm shims on top. I will check with my local shop, but I don't think they will be of much help. Thay won't do a state inspection on a bike from the eighties.
 
max_imp said:
could anybody be so kind and email this spreadsheet to me ? I can click on it and see it in the browser, but the export / download commands don't work (in my config). Thanks you so much !!
 
Hi Gecko, i clicked on; file, download, OpenDocument ( odf ) ( six varieties available ).
It downloaded ok for me, but since i'm the publisher it may not work for someone else, i have had this happen in the past,
have reverted back to "all users" but it may have reverted back again, could you confirm it still does not work for you?

Tried to email to you but the group's email has no option for an attachment and the odf has been rejected by the "reply" option, just checked the settings on the g spreadsheet and it shows still
open to all?



Failing that you could try screenshots and photoshop them in the size you like.
 
Thread starter
I could see those options, Max, and it downloaded fine for me.
 
I just got done checking my valves at 30,000 miles and I came up with .007"s on all the intakes and .013"s on all the exhausts. Plenty of room for normal wear and I don't have to mess with it for another 30,000 miles. Woot!
it was a heck of a lot harder getting everything out of the way than it was checking the valves themselves.
 
Back
Top