Not so comfortable after few hours

ryanschillinger_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So my last couple bikes have been cruisers and I was getting tired of the feet forward position. Really loved the idea of the cb1100 since it came out here. I've been doing a lot of commuting on the bike without noticing much discomfort, but spent a lot more time in the saddle yesterday. Noticed a kind of burning pain in my left shoulder, like on the back side. Also butt was getting pretty tired. What position needs to be adjusted to help with the shoulder pain? Bars too close? Too far? I have the levers set so my hands fall naturally to them and everything. Maybe I'm just not used to this riding position yet.
 
You probably need to install ape-hangers... too much time as a pirate :P
I pulled the bars way back and up which really helped me get comfortable. I'm pretty short in the arms. Are you small, tall, etc?
 
The seat is a source of frequent complaint and many solutions can be found on the forum. Corbin, K&H and the humble AirHawk all provide relief to tired and aching butts.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Hmmm, ape hangers on a CB. I did see a 750 that had ape hangers and a tall sissy bar recently, sorta made me cringe.


Funny, I think wider, more pulled back bars are not only more comfortable on this bike, but suit it's style better. I see everyone do low bars and a cafe solo seat and think that is fashion over function.
 
I know what you mean! Seems my arms are a bit too short so I searching the threads on "bar backs", did adjust them but still need a bit more reach.
First mod was a Corbin seat, pricey and definitely not for everyone so do your research. Many options, none cheap. Just read about Kontour seats, add them to your reading and research list.
On a recent long trip my butt and the Corbin seat finally reached agreememt and I had several days of very comfortable riding.
 
Well, bar risers and set backs only do that- raise and move back. The angle of the bar stays the same.

What I did is bars that are the same height, and not moved back, but more pulled back- (swept towards the rider) as well as wider for more leverage on the bars and less shoulder strain.





 
I read many "solutions" on many forums. to discomfort, wind buffeting, sore this or that, vibration, pretty much exclusively relegated to changing stuff. Depending on the individual, I would say handlebars are probably the most often replaced, and probably one of the more important individual comfort items.
I don't see much consideration discussed at all regarding what I consider to be the one thing that IMO, is in most need of improvement. The rider. Like the general public, many riders would benefit from being in better health, losing weight, engaging in physical activity like regularly working out, and so forth. I'm not commenting on any particular posters, just offering another perspective ;)

ryanschillinger_imp said:
So my last couple bikes have been cruisers and I was getting tired of the feet forward position. Really loved the idea of the cb1100 since it came out here. I've been doing a lot of commuting on the bike without noticing much discomfort, but spent a lot more time in the saddle yesterday. Noticed a kind of burning pain in my left shoulder, like on the back side. Also butt was getting pretty tired. What position needs to be adjusted to help with the shoulder pain? Bars too close? Too far? I have the levers set so my hands fall naturally to them and everything. Maybe I'm just not used to this riding position yet.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Well, bar risers and set backs only do that- raise and move back. The angle of the bar stays the same.

What I did is bars that are the same height, and not moved back, but more pulled back- (swept towards the rider) as well as wider for more leverage on the bars and less shoulder strain.
Hey Josh... those bars look great, and I like the idea a LOT. Three questions...any issue at all with tank clearance when turned full stop? Were you able to use existing cables and such or did you need to lengthen anything? Last but not least, what bars are those (part number, source)? Thanks in advance!
 
Counterintuitive point. For highway speeds on a naked bike, lower bars might actually help. Leaning in to the breeze, straighter back, less butt pressure. I have a bad back, and I find some lean better for the bones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Lots of good info guys. Thanks!
Yes, I am working on getting healthier, especially since we have a baby on the way. Started going back to the gym and eating better. I'm a big guy, but my legs aren't that long. I'm about 265lbs and 6' tall, but wear 30" length pants...
PowerDubs, what type of seat and bars are you running? Look like a nice classic combo.
I was trying to imagine where my arms would feel most comfortable as I was riding, but I'm not really sure yet. I kinda thought maybe a little wider or angled like PowerDubs' bars and a bit forward might work, but wouldn't know until I tried it.
I might try the Airhawk pad, was reading some good things about it. Haven't heard of Kontour seats until now. I have a Street Shield EX but usually run without it.
My last bike was an 08 Yamaha Roadliner that I bought new the beginning of 2010, and I really like it. I was just ready for a change, and had been admiring the CB since it came out. Realized they were getting scarce, didn't know they stopped bringing them over so quickly. Figured I'd go get one. Still need to get mine set up for carrying a passenger with a backrest for my top case, and install the hard side cases. Probably need to upgrade the rear shocks at some point as well.
 
Ryan,

The US spec bars are higher than the Japan bars. With no faring and those tall bars the wind blast at 70 mph wore me out. I love the look of the stock seat but thought is was both uncomfortable and it had me always sliding forward into the tank. The combination of the Road Comet 1 faring, lower CB500F bars and Corbin seat has made my CB11 all day comfortable. I've done several 6 hour rides stopping only for gas and it's great. Cheers.

Chip



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Mod%20a7.jpg.html]
 
I've got an Air Hawk....not sure it helps. The best thing I've discovered is to find a slow road and stand up for a while. Thought it was dangerous at first until I remembered standing on on the YZ125 more than I sat down.
 
The pads you use for bleacher seating or the kneel down pads you can buy from Home Depot. One cost me $5 the other was given to me. They work wonders for long trips, just finished a 5500 mile one, 13 riding days averaging 425 miles a day. Stock seat. A number of 10-11 hour days. Around town, don't need them much because the rides aren't that long!
 
Thread starter
Chip, did you post a how-to on the bar swap? Those about same width or are they narrower? I am starting to think a different set of bars might make a big difference but would want to keep factory controls and wiring. Replacing the stock seat, rear shocks, and a set of bars might be a good plan.
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Chip, did you post a how-to on the bar swap? Those about same width or are they narrower? I am starting to think a different set of bars might make a big difference but would want to keep factory controls and wiring. Replacing the stock seat, rear shocks, and a set of bars might be a good plan.
Yes I did Ryan and It's here. Over 44,000 views so somebody must like it!

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=980

All the best.

Chip
 
Good point Motogeezer on the conditioning of the rider as an important factor. Significantly overweight? Back pain? A lot of discomfort issues can be attributed to a lack of overall fitness. I find that for people with back issues strengthening your core is particularly helpful.
 
Back
Top