Not My CB1100! Ageing Motorcyclists are buying the wrong bike.

Lol started getting AARP stuff in the mail 22 1/2 years ago. Never did join. Imagine how Nacho and Rocky feel.

I turned 55 in May 2005. Didn't start keeping records of my mileage until Jan 1, 2006, but have ridden 270,362 miles since then as of today. Will add to that tomorrow.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol started getting AARP stuff in the mail 22 1/2 years ago. Never did join. Imagine how Nacho and Rocky feel.

I turned 55 in May 2005. Didn't start keeping records of my mileage until Jan 1, 2006, but have ridden 270,362 miles since then as of today. Will add to that tomorrow.
wow, wow Ferret stop for a moment....
I would like to know how many miles total you've ridden on all bikes in your life, estimated number is fine with me, please.
 
YouTube said your video is no longer available, MTC. :(
 
Weird. Wonder if I just put the link here if it will work.

If not, it's not THAT great of a song, but it felt right for this thread on aging/ageing/deteriorating.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol started getting AARP stuff in the mail 22 1/2 years ago. Never did join. Imagine how Nacho and Rocky feel.

I turned 55 in May 2005. Didn't start keeping records of my mileage until Jan 1, 2006, but have ridden 270,362 miles since then as of today. Will add to that tomorrow.
wow, wow Ferret stop for a moment....
I would like to know how many miles total you've ridden on all bikes in your life, estimated number is fine with me, please.
wow, wow Ferret stop for a moment....
I would like to know how many miles total you've ridden on all bikes in your life, estimated number is fine with me, please.

PB, I estimate I've ridden about 820,000 miles in 56 years which would be an overall average of 14,641 miles a year.

I commuted by motorcycle plus pleasure riding and vacations for 24 years from 1965-1989, but never kept records of mileage... but can figure a minimum of 15,000 miles a year. This figure is probably low since I was commuting approx 60 miles a day 6 days a week 50 weeks a year (360,000 miles),

Then from 1990-2013 spent another 23 years not commuting, but riding after work, on weekends and vacations (accurately measured at 11,172 miles per year from 2006 when I began recording mileage to 2013). Figure I rode a similar number of miles per year from 1990-2005 (add 256,956 miles)

Then I retired in 2013 and have accurately measured an average of 22,552 miles a year for the 9 years from 2014-2022 (add 202,968 miles).

Best estimate I can come up with.

I've ridden in all of the lower 48 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. My wife rode with me for 49 of those years and has only missed about 10 of the states, but rode in Canada and Europe with me. She quit riding in 2021.

Had a great life on 2 wheels.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Weird. Wonder if I just put the link here if it will work.

If not, it's not THAT great of a song, but it felt right for this thread on aging/ageing/deteriorating.
It did work this time, thank you.
 
The ferret_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol started getting AARP stuff in the mail 22 1/2 years ago. Never did join. Imagine how Nacho and Rocky feel.

I turned 55 in May 2005. Didn't start keeping records of my mileage until Jan 1, 2006, but have ridden 270,362 miles since then as of today. Will add to that tomorrow.
wow, wow Ferret stop for a moment....
I would like to know how many miles total you've ridden on all bikes in your life, estimated number is fine with me, please.
wow, wow Ferret stop for a moment....
I would like to know how many miles total you've ridden on all bikes in your life, estimated number is fine with me, please.

PB, I estimate I've ridden about 820,000 miles in 56 years which would be an overall average of 14,641 miles a year.

I commuted by motorcycle plus pleasure riding and vacations for 24 years from 1965-1989, but never kept records of mileage... but can figure a minimum of 15,000 miles a year. This figure is probably low since I was commuting approx 60 miles a day 6 days a week 50 weeks a year (360,000 miles),

Then from 1990-2013 spent another 23 years not commuting, but riding after work, on weekends and vacations (accurately measured at 11,172 miles per year from 2006 when I began recording mileage to 2013). Figure I rode a similar number of miles per year from 1990-2005 (add 256,956 miles)

Then I retired in 2013 and have accurately measured an average of 22,552 miles a year for the 9 years from 2014-2022 (add 202,968 miles).

Best estimate I can come up with.

I've ridden in all of the lower 48 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. My wife rode with me for 49 of those years and has only missed about 10 of the states, but rode in Canada and Europe with me. She quit riding in 2021.

Had a great life on 2 wheels.
wow, wow Ferret stop for a moment....
I would like to know how many miles total you've ridden on all bikes in your life, estimated number is fine with me, please.

PB, I estimate I've ridden about 820,000 miles in 56 years which would be an overall average of 14,641 miles a year.

I commuted by motorcycle plus pleasure riding and vacations for 24 years from 1965-1989, but never kept records of mileage... but can figure a minimum of 15,000 miles a year. This figure is probably low since I was commuting approx 60 miles a day 6 days a week 50 weeks a year (360,000 miles),

Then from 1990-2013 spent another 23 years not commuting, but riding after work, on weekends and vacations (accurately measured at 11,172 miles per year from 2006 when I began recording mileage to 2013). Figure I rode a similar number of miles per year from 1990-2005 (add 256,956 miles)

Then I retired in 2013 and have accurately measured an average of 22,552 miles a year for the 9 years from 2014-2022 (add 202,968 miles).

Best estimate I can come up with.

I've ridden in all of the lower 48 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. My wife rode with me for 49 of those years and has only missed about 10 of the states, but rode in Canada and Europe with me. She quit riding in 2021.

Had a great life on 2 wheels.
Colossal achievement in your motorcycle life.
I bow my head before such a man like you are, Ferret!

:worship:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Weird. Wonder if I just put the link here if it will work.

If not, it's not THAT great of a song, but it felt right for this thread on aging/ageing/deteriorating.
It did work this time, thank you.
It did work this time, thank you.
(+1) Yep, flick worked.
 
Pretty sure Ferret has ridden more in one year than I have in 47 riding years. If Ferrets are known for something, it would be persistence, and he has that.
Go Ferret! Keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road.:clap::biker:
 
tommymck_imp said:
I thought it was entertaining...but I was probably biased because I think that it might be our own Tev62 (could be wrong, but the possibility was enough to keep me watching!)
It is me tommymck. :angel:

Still not selling the C anytime soon, actually loading it up for a one night camping trip this Saturday.
Rboe_imp said:
I mentioned that tall high center of gravity bikes were a poor choice for older riders with back issues - and he responded that his back was shot. No picking up napping bikes for him.

So why the heck push adventure bikes?!
Because I ordered a 1250GS with a low chassis and sticky out cylinders :D
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
The vid raises some good points, My aging hip joints certainly agree with his comments.

Oh and it definately is from our Irish member..our very own Tev62!
:thumbsup:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I mentioned that tall high center of gravity bikes were a poor choice for older riders with back issues - and he responded that his back was shot. No picking up napping bikes for him.

So why the heck push adventure bikes?!
It is a strange agenda from a funny duck.

ADV bikes sales have been dealership fast moving rolling stock for years. Anyway, he likes using the f-bomb a lot.
Eeh, sorry! :angel:
I work full time with a business partner in a small niche IT business, it is a stressful enough existence and I make the YouTube videos as an hobby and distraction. I'm not one for lying in, sitting around or watching Netflix and for now this is how I spend some of my spare time.

I can be a bit "potty mouthed" but I'm not sure where that cane from really? I went to a Catholic Boarding School since I was 11 and was an Alter Boy etc etc. I think it all went wrong when I left school at 16 and joined the Merchant Navy (Merchant Marine)! I never did get a tattoo though.

I seem to of hit a nerve with this video, most of my videos get a little following with the odd one with a few thousand views. This one is currently at 169,000 views in ten days and I am six days behind on acknowledging peoples comments, there are so many I can't keep up.
 
If Mr. Ferret could only have figured wireless key on his car he wouldn't be riding so much. :poke:


:D
 
Rboe_imp said:
If Mr. Ferret could only have figured wireless key on his car he wouldn't be riding so much. :poke:


:D
:rofl: I hate all these new electronics on cars and much prefer a key, like I have on my Ridgeline, which admittedly I don't drive very much. It's a 2010 and has 65,000 miles on it now. BTW I also figured how many miles I put on my truck last year... 2,228. An average of 185 miles...a month lol.

My biggest electronic gripes are when I'm driving my wife's Highlander and I come to a stop and the stupid thing quits running, until you let off the brake and it starts up again. That and the "adaptive cruise" that starts slowing down about 1/4 mile back and it's real gradual, so you don't notice... you are running on cruise control 72 up the freeway and look down and discover now you're only doing 58 because the guy in front of you isn't even running the speed limit of 65. :@

That and all the switches are on opposite sides on Ridgeline and Highlander, so I go to turn on the windshield wiper in her car and end up messing up the headlights which she has programmed to come on automatically. Then I get yelled at. :dodgy:
 
Yeah, I am very familiar with all these unnecessary gizmos but do not like them either = too many
A lot of option like your SCC and ISG can be turned off by the driver.

4c03c410f84696a8f47ef11e1c3094b8.jpg
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
If Mr. Ferret could only have figured wireless key on his car he wouldn't be riding so much. :poke:


:D
:rofl: I hate all these new electronics on cars and much prefer a key, like I have on my Ridgeline, which admittedly I don't drive very much. It's a 2010 and has 65,000 miles on it now. BTW I also figured how many miles I put on my truck last year... 2,228. An average of 185 miles...a month lol.

My biggest electronic gripes are when I'm driving my wife's Highlander and I come to a stop and the stupid thing quits running, until you let off the brake and it starts up again. That and the "adaptive cruise" that starts slowing down about 1/4 mile back and it's real gradual, so you don't notice... you are running on cruise control 72 up the freeway and look down and discover now you're only doing 58 because the guy in front of you isn't even running the speed limit of 65. :@

That and all the switches are on opposite sides on Ridgeline and Highlander, so I go to turn on the windshield wiper in her car and end up messing up the headlights which she has programmed to come on automatically. Then I get yelled at. :dodgy:
Features like that can be disabled.

One thing for sure, for the mainstream, feature configuration choices are not going away or going to decrease.

Some trim levels are offering "less" aimed at "senior" vehicle shoppers who have voiced their dismay. I don't know if less costs more.
 
She LOVES all that stuff. The more gizmos the better for her. Auto opening doors. Cars that automatically unlock as you get close. Heated and air-conditioned seats.

Her Mustang doesn't even have a gas cap, push a button that opens the flip lid and just put the pump nozzle in.

I'm not going to disable ANYTHING on HER car, cause yep I'll get yelled at.

edit* I do disable the "lane assist" feature when I am driving it (another feature she likes). We have a lot of narrow, curvy roads and the dang steering wheel jerks back and forth every time you get near an edge or centerline which ruins proper apexing lol.
 
Many cars which have LKA - Lane Keeping Assist, also have an option called LDW - Lane Departure Warning, which will notify the driver by friendly beeping instead of wheel jerking back and forth. You or Mrs. may try this option.
I prefer LDW over LKA.
Glad our CBs have none of these.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
She LOVES all that stuff. The more gizmos the better for her. Auto opening doors. Cars that automatically unlock as you get close. Heated and air-conditioned seats.

Her Mustang doesn't even have a gas cap, push a button that opens the flip lid and just put the pump nozzle in.

I'm not going to disable ANYTHING on HER car, cause yep I'll get yelled at.

edit* I do disable the "lane assist" feature when I am driving it (another feature she likes). We have a lot of narrow, curvy roads and the dang steering wheel jerks back and forth every time you get near an edge or centerline which ruins proper apexing lol.
I actually like the Lane Assist feature in cages, especially when driving on U.S. roads.
 
Wife's Outback has lane assist. I've used it and disabled it. It can be useful at times so I'll enable it from time to time. But I don't drive it that much. Looking at replacing the F150 with something smaller (e.g. Outback, CX-5 or CX-50 etc.) and the newer cars have a lot of new gizmo's.

My pickup has cooled and heated seats - in Phoenix do not poo-poo vented seats. :D Alas; top levels only on the cars I've looked at.
It also it has no gas cap, and that is a very cool feature. I do wish my truck had trailer backup assist 'cause my small Kenda trailer is a PITA to back up. And I ain't no back up artist!

My main wants: no surprise, a comfortable seat, and quiet. I also like to sit higher perferring to look down on all my minions. :P Light coloured interior, especially seats, to keep from burning my body parts and oddly enough black shows more dirt.
 
Be active and semi-fit and you can ride anything is my motto, if you a lardy arse who can't move and want to ride like a youngster then you pump out videos like this.
 
ichiban_imp said:
Be active and semi-fit and you can ride anything is my motto, if you a lardy arse who can't move and want to ride like a youngster then you pump out videos like this.
Thanks very much, too kind ichiban!
 
Back
Top