Not My CB1100! Ageing Motorcyclists are buying the wrong bike.

I just came across that video, too. Anything with a CB1100 and an 'X' through it immediately rubs me the wrong way.

He gives too many numbers for me. I've learned that I can adjust to bikes if the seat height is at 31" or more, my preference is 33-34".
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
I just came across that video, too. Anything with a CB1100 and an 'X' through it immediately rubs me the wrong way.

He gives too many numbers for me. I've learned that I can adjust to bikes if the seat height is at 31" or more, my preference is 33-34".
The CB1100 is an excellent bike.

The video is not about the CB1100, but about the rider. The host could have started with the Triumph T100; same motive.

If left the bike basically for the same purpose that is behind the video and found myself looking at adventure bikes and the like back in 2019.
 
I thought it was entertaining...but I was probably biased because I think that it might be our own Tev62 (could be wrong, but the possibility was enough to keep me watching!)
 
Thread starter
tommymck_imp said:
I thought it was entertaining...but I was probably biased because I think that it might be our own Tev62 (could be wrong, but the possibility was enough to keep me watching!)
:rofl:

The host was a bit of a funny duck of a bloke.
 
As important as the distance from the seat to the peg, is the position of the peg relative to the rider's hip. Directly below or behind the hip rotates the rider forward, whereas, slightly in front of the hip, positions the rider in a more up-right, casual position, which I think most riders find more comfortable for a long ride. As hard as we try, re-positioning the foot-pegs and foot-controls is not easy on most bikes not made in Wisconsin, USA.
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy_imp said:
As important as the distance from the seat to the peg, is the position of the peg relative to the rider's hip. Directly below or behind the hip rotates the rider forward, whereas, slightly in front of the hip, positions the rider in a more up-right, casual position, which I think most riders find more comfortable for a long ride. As hard as we try, re-positioning the foot-pegs and foot-controls is not easy on most bikes not made in Wisconsin, USA.
Absolutely Nach. :thumbsup:
 
I mentioned that tall high center of gravity bikes were a poor choice for older riders with back issues - and he responded that his back was shot. No picking up napping bikes for him.

So why the heck push adventure bikes?!
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I mentioned that tall high center of gravity bikes were a poor choice for older riders with back issues - and he responded that his back was shot. No picking up napping bikes for him.

So why the heck push adventure bikes?!
It is a strange agenda from a funny duck.

ADV bikes sales have been dealership fast moving rolling stock for years. Anyway, he likes using the f-bomb a lot.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
As important as the distance from the seat to the peg, is the position of the peg relative to the rider's hip. Directly below or behind the hip rotates the rider forward, whereas, slightly in front of the hip, positions the rider in a more up-right, casual position, which I think most riders find more comfortable for a long ride. As hard as we try, re-positioning the foot-pegs and foot-controls is not easy on most bikes not made in Wisconsin, USA.
That is certainly true, but it comes at a cost (not just a price). HD has built many lovely bikes over the years, I mean it, great to look at. And I am equally happy I didn't own any of them. Weight is the last thing anybody needs on a bike, unless he or she is equally heavy and the streets are long and straight ;)
 
I don't know. My BMW R1250GS weighs in about 5 pounds heavier than my CB1100, so not much difference there. I can't speak to the center of gravity specifically, but the GS is definitely easier to pick up. It has the handhelds and the ergonomics specifically for doing that. I've had occasion to have to pick up both, and the GS is far and away easier. The GS is also way easier to get on the center stand. In fact, the reason I had to right the CB was during an ooops in the garage trying to get it on the center stand. I had to pick up the BMW several times during a weekend off-road seminar where they have you do that in the wild, and it's a piece of cake.

And, the BMW to me is certainly the more comfortable touring bike.

Having said all of that, 90 percent of my riding is either commuting, tooling around on the weekends or a couple of longer trips a year. The CB1100 is as comfortable and manageable for me as any other bike, and it's more fun for that type of riding. So far, the ravages of time haven't slowed me down too much, but I'd imagine that my 1250GS would be the easier bike if I started to slow down. So I don't disagree with the overall premise of the video, which is that folks might discount something like the R1250 when in actuality it might be the easier to manage than some other bikes.
 
The vid raises some good points, My aging hip joints certainly agree with his comments.

Oh and it definately is from our Irish member..our very own Tev62!
 
So... On the one hand, I appreciate the comments about seat height -- A couple of my friends went from Goldwings to BMW F850GSs to change their seating position and to reduce the weight. While I see some validity in the overall point, and probably wouldn't have recommended the CB1100 to my Goldwing-riding geriatrics, I don't feel I will gain much in comfort myself from switching from my CB1100 to a mid-size adventure bike.

On the other hand, this video is my response to the "You Should Do This..." and "You've Been Doing It Wrong..." messaging that seems to be the norm on the internet.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
So... On the one hand, I appreciate the comments about seat height -- A couple of my friends went from Goldwings to BMW F850GSs to change their seating position and to reduce the weight. While I see some validity in the overall point, and probably wouldn't have recommended the CB1100 to my Goldwing-riding geriatrics, I don't feel I will gain much in comfort myself from switching from my CB1100 to a mid-size adventure bike.

On the other hand, this video is my response to the "You Should Do This..." and "You've Been Doing It Wrong..." messaging that seems to be the norm on the internet.
Yeah, it annoyingly "screams" at the viewer. However, the educated good folks of the Forum can see through that mess pretty easily.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
So... On the one hand, I appreciate the comments about seat height -- A couple of my friends went from Goldwings to BMW F850GSs to change their seating position and to reduce the weight. While I see some validity in the overall point, and probably wouldn't have recommended the CB1100 to my Goldwing-riding geriatrics, I don't feel I will gain much in comfort myself from switching from my CB1100 to a mid-size adventure bike.

On the other hand, this video is my response to the "You Should Do This..." and "You've Been Doing It Wrong..." messaging that seems to be the norm on the internet.
Yeah, it annoyingly "screams" at the viewer. However, the educated good folks of the Forum can see through that mess pretty easily.
Yeah, it annoyingly "screams" at the viewer. However, the educated good folks of the Forum can see through that mess pretty easily.
It screams less than most "You've been doing X wrong you're whole life" videos. I was more annoyed by the the misspelling of "aging", which I've learned since is not a misspelling in the UK and Canada (or so Google tells me). The main thing was that I like this song and now had a "motorcycle" reason to share it with you all. LOL
 
In Canada and the U.S. , the preferred spelling is aging. British usage favours the variant ageing, which is also accepted in Canada. :P
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
In Canada and the U.S. , the preferred spelling is aging. British usage favours the variant ageing, which is also accepted in Canada. :P
... I "don't like" the spelling "ageing" myself either.
 
HA! I don't like it at all either. I have started getting AARP newsletters in the mailbox. I throw them away with great disdain. Mrs. G got her first one not too long ago. I heard a loud yelp as she checked the mail. One would think she had discovered a snake in our mailbox.

I know I have nothing to complain about here, being on what's probably the younger side of the spectrum here. But, visiting Mom in her over-55 community this weekend, and my birthday coming up this week, she commented "Huh. As of Tuesday, you'll be able to live here if you wanted to."
 
Back
Top