Not an oil thread .... just an oil change interval question

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've been faithfully changing oil in the CB1100 on a regular basis. First at less than 1000 miles, next at approx 3000, and most recent at 6500 miles. Oil used is Honda GN4 10w30.

I know Honda also recommends another more expensive oil. Do they recommend oil changes at the same 3000 mile interval, or is the interval stretched out to 5000 miles or more between changes?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Bob
 
I change the oil on my bikes once a year and use Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil . In that year it is about 4000 miles per bike.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
I've been faithfully changing oil in the CB1100 on a regular basis. First at less than 1000 miles, next at approx 3000, and most recent at 6500 miles. Oil used is Honda GN4 10w30.

I know Honda also recommends another more expensive oil. Do they recommend oil changes at the same 3000 mile interval, or is the interval stretched out to 5000 miles or more between changes?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Bob
The shop manual for my '13 says 4K mile intervals for the oil change. I usually start thinking about changing after 3K, especially if those miles were ridden in the absurd summer temps we get around here. During the cooler months, 4K works just fine for me.
 
Everyone makes his own luck.
I try mine by changing oil round about every 12.000km together with the filter using 10W40. So doubling Honda's recommended interval.
Til now no problems over 50.000km.
Think the CB can take and stand it.
Otherwise I would stick to Honda's interval.

Wisedrum
 
in my climate place if you cruise only by low rpm (maybe -3000) and never drive in stop and go traffic....are longer intervals ok i think....

in our driver-manuals stands: 6000km (3700mil).......
 
I am not Honda engineer nor an oil expert. I've been in automotive business for 4 decades. All my vehicles follow manufacture standards or shorter intervals.
My CB always takes 100% full synthetic 10W40 Motul and OEM filters, 5-6000 kms intervals ...cars, always OEM filter and synthetic oil in winter only.
In general for any vehicle: very short distances, commuting in traffic, frequent stops, extensive idling, extreme low/high temp, puling a trailer, carrying a heavy load, you would consider shorter intervals or/and 100% full synthetic oil that provides better engine protection...always OEM filter.
The bottom line: follow manufacture recommendations.. small variation in service intervals will do no harm to your engine.
This is my advice. Make your wise choice upon reading other members input and internet resources.
 
I am not Honda engineer nor an oil expert either ;) I was in the motorcycle business for nearly 2 decades.

I have found that if you follow the manufacturer's (who are engineers and oil experts) recommendations on filter and oil, brand, type, viscosity and change intervals, your motorcycle will be fine.

That when you stray from those recommendations, you are on your own. :thumbsup:
 
That's my approach too. I just follow the manufacturer's recommendation and not try to overthink it. My car is worth a lot more than my CB, and I don't tell the dealer what to use when he services that vehicle. I really don't give it a second thought. Not sure why I'd be any more anal with my CB.

Ohio, I'm not in front of my owners manual but I believe the recommended interval is every 4000 miles. I also believe they endorse GN4, so you should be fine.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I am not Honda engineer nor an oil expert either ;) I was in the motorcycle business for nearly 2 decades.

I have found that if you follow the manufacturer's (who are engineers and oil experts) recommendations on filter and oil, brand, type, viscosity and change intervals, your motorcycle will be fine.

That when you stray from those recommendations, you are on your own. :thumbsup:
Hey, now we have 6 decades experience together and none of us is Honda engineer nor an oil expert either ....sounds familiar...:D
Did you miss any oil change yet ? :P
 
The owner's manual for my '17 EX states 8,000-mile intervals for the oil change, which pleasantly surprised me.
 
The '17 has a longer oil-change interval than the earlier models which specify 4,000 miles or 6,000 kms intervals. The oil-filter change interval is twice that—i.e. 8,000 miles/6,000 kms.
 
Why?
Did Honda change anything or something with the engine or did they simply correct a too cautious recommendation. I wonder.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Why?
Did Honda change anything or something with the engine or did they simply correct a too cautious recommendation. I wonder.

Wisedrum
Same question could be asked regarding the valve-adjustment intervals, since mine is listed at 12,000 miles while all the previous models are listed at 8,000 miles.
 
When I first read a test about the Honda in 2013 the magazine listed an 24.000km interval for valve inspection. When I bought a lttle later the bike I saw in the Owners Manual a 12.000km one to my surprise.

What do I do? Make my own decision wether to inspect or not, change or not.

So its up to you....all a little bit confusing, if you not only keep strictly to the manual and read some more 'info'.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Wisedrum_imp said:
When I first read a test about the Honda in 2013 the magazine listed an 24.000km interval for valve inspection. When I bought a lttle later the bike I saw in the Owners Manual a 12.000km one to my surprise.

What do I do? Make my own decision wether to inspect or not, change or not.

So its up to you....all a little bit confusing, if you not only keep strictly to the manual and read some more 'info'.

Wisedrum
Let me restate my original question.
Assuming the normal interval running GN4 SAE 10w/30 (non-synthetic, I think) is 4000 miles, does Honda specify a longer change interval if one were to run their recommended synthetic?

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
When I first read a test about the Honda in 2013 the magazine listed an 24.000km interval for valve inspection. When I bought a lttle later the bike I saw in the Owners Manual a 12.000km one to my surprise.

What do I do? Make my own decision wether to inspect or not, change or not.

So its up to you....all a little bit confusing, if you not only keep strictly to the manual and read some more 'info'.

Wisedrum
Let me restate my original question.
Assuming the normal interval running GN4 SAE 10w/30 (non-synthetic, I think) is 4000 miles, does Honda specify a longer change interval if one were to run their recommended synthetic?

Bob
Let me restate my original question.
Assuming the normal interval running GN4 SAE 10w/30 (non-synthetic, I think) is 4000 miles, does Honda specify a longer change interval if one were to run their recommended synthetic?

Bob
This question you should address to Honda, if service manual does not answer it.
Using synthetic oil does not necessarily mean longer intervals, but it definitely means better engine protection.
Some synthetic oil companies claim longer intervals, but it does not mean Honda approves it
If in deep doubt, strictly follow manufacture service intervals, do not exercise at all at your own, and do not ask others for advice that may influence your decision.
If you want my private opinion which oil is better in this matter: 1-synthetic, 2-semi synthetic/synthetic blend or 3-conventional/regular/mineral , my answer is as indicated 1-2-3....
Each manufacture sets certain standards, which in my understanding is "good minimum"...one can always go above it...
Hope this summary helps you :)
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
When I first read a test about the Honda in 2013 the magazine listed an 24.000km interval for valve inspection. When I bought a lttle later the bike I saw in the Owners Manual a 12.000km one to my surprise.

What do I do? Make my own decision wether to inspect or not, change or not.

So its up to you....all a little bit confusing, if you not only keep strictly to the manual and read some more 'info'.

Wisedrum
Let me restate my original question.
Assuming the normal interval running GN4 SAE 10w/30 (non-synthetic, I think) is 4000 miles, does Honda specify a longer change interval if one were to run their recommended synthetic?

Bob
No. I can see no mention of different intervals in the 2013 Service Manual or the Owner's Manual.
 
Those of you who go with synthetics, make certain you're choosing an oil without friction modifiers. They play he** with the clutch.

As for myself, I'm a follow the owners manual kind of guy. I trust Honda's engineers.
 
Thread starter
DHB_imp said:
Those of you who go with synthetics, make certain you're choosing an oil without friction modifiers. They play he** with the clutch.

As for myself, I'm a follow the owners manual kind of guy. I trust Honda's engineers.
I also follow them to a 't' I was just curious if they gave an extended oil change interval if I ran synthetic instead of dino GN4.

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
When I first read a test about the Honda in 2013 the magazine listed an 24.000km interval for valve inspection. When I bought a lttle later the bike I saw in the Owners Manual a 12.000km one to my surprise.

What do I do? Make my own decision wether to inspect or not, change or not.

So its up to you....all a little bit confusing, if you not only keep strictly to the manual and read some more 'info'.

Wisedrum
Let me restate my original question.
Assuming the normal interval running GN4 SAE 10w/30 (non-synthetic, I think) is 4000 miles, does Honda specify a longer change interval if one were to run their recommended synthetic?

Bob

For the '17, they recommend:

API SG or higher. SAE 10W‐30, JASO T 903 MA
Don't use "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" oils.
yearly or every 8000 miles/12000km

So, as previous models use -as far as I know- identical mechanics, bits and pieces, I'd follow the same recommendations as on the latest models without worry.
 
Back
Top