Northern Utah Mirror Lake Highway Loop with pictures (comp write up)

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Rode 244 miles today on Utah's famous Mirror Lake Scenic Byway with a friend that recently picked up a BMW ADV 800. This road consistently ranks in the top 10 rides in the lower 48. Had a blast. Not much traffic. Temps were mild. The map isn't the best but the red outline shows the route. We went counterclockwise. After breakfast at my house we left at 0900hrs and hit the road.

633bbfb6aaaf85d81810e26afd0b4fdd.png


This pic was taken 60 miles into the trip. That's Mt Timpanogos in the distance. Tops out around 11,200 feet. on the other side to the right of the ridge is Salt Lake City
507b2ba25ef8cc277087fd1492b18ee1.jpg


Next stop was a small country store in Samak. These folks are known for their smoked trout
aaeb3f46843db45bdae2aa87e353781e.jpg


Shown here is Slate Gorge. Been meaning to bring a rod and climb down to the water and fly fish it. There are miles of streams like this in the area.
79629c75ecf368a2e0f76362711a1e1a.jpg


This is towards the top of Bald Mt. Pass. We started the ride at 4,400 feet at my house and we're close to 10,000+ feet at this point
addec9790389c98cde938bba17ed442c.jpg


Pano is close to the top of the pass
5718811f963e94a940a923f1d9e50af2.jpg


On the Continental Divide looking north towards Hayden Peak and the High Uintas wilderness
9f25b76ee23588fa197c7674094ca74d.jpg


We're on the north slope of the Uintas heading north towards Evanston, Wy.
8280f9c400cf0bb2abc1ad96555712ec.jpg


Looking south back towards the High Uintas Wilderness where we came from
ccd285b7a39852704eb4185cb466f92d.jpg


After refueling in Evanston, Wyoming my riding partner decided he wanted to cross another pass and took off and I needed to get on the freeway and make time as my family was waiting for me at the Snow Basin Ski Resort for their weekend Music festival

This pic was taken looking south into Echo Canyon from the rest area there. In the distance I'll be making a hard right and then head west towards Mt Green, Ut. and Snow Basin Resort.
a231ba3c709155c10fd2bb9df9cdcd57.jpg


Not sure if East of the Mississippi there are many of these...we even have some stretches posted at 85MPH
73dfb42a376c8407b2d910f917199f9f.jpg


Behind the bike is Snow Basin, home of the 2002 Winter Olympics downhill (15 miles from my house). This road is shown on the map as the red loop just before the end of the trip.
a5c9b5abbf5c085634a13af781523444.jpg


Entrance to Snow Basin
34c0b0b16c37331f6621587295115f13.jpg


Base Lodge and the music festival
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b492/Frulk/IMG_1025_zps0eamitqo.jpg

Must have been 45 HD's in the bike parking area. somehow two cafe'd bikes ended up on either side of of me...a Thruxton and an older Suzuki with some nice engine mods.
84e78f785809c6121646ce854283d2e1.jpg


Descending from approx. 8300 feet at the Snow Basin parking lot to almost 4600 feet as I make for the home stretch down Trappers Loop was a hoot.

Some thoughts on the bike.

1) The café seat IS more comfortable than the stock but does not allow for the fore and aft movement and after a couple hundred miles I can feel that limitation in my knees.

2) I detected some buzziness in the grips. It does not appear to affect my hands with tingling unless I have a death grip on the bars while cornering hard at speed.

3) Altitude doesn't really affect the power delivery. There is enough torque present at over 10,000+ that I don't remember having to shift more on the climbs

4) As a naked tourer this bike is exemplary. I had a constant side wind for about 35 miles until I turned west on one stretch. No fairing to catch the wind, and a 540 pound bike (more or less) add up to some confidence inspiring handling at freeway speeds in strong crosswinds.
 
Loved our trip to Utah a few years back( Bryce & Zion), saw Utah made top 10 states to retire on a few lists....
That BMW looks like a monster compared to the CB1100.....hope it did not bully you around!
 
Looks good. The scenery that you have shown is beautiful. What are the riding conditions like? Good surface? Tight? Sweepers? Some dirt? A mixture of all?

Cheers.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Loved our trip to Utah a few years back( Bryce & Zion), saw Utah made top 10 states to retire on a few lists....
That BMW looks like a monster compared to the CB1100.....hope it did not bully you around!
The BMW 800 is a nice bike and most folks on one wouldn't be able to stay with me in the corners but the owner is a very talented rider that can put me to shame if he really wanted to (in part due to the fact he's about 100 pounds lighter than me and as stated, he is a better rider). From a mechanical standpoint (considering the dissimilar categories the bikes are in) the Honda didn't give up anything to the Beemer otherwise.
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Looks good. The scenery that you have shown is beautiful. What are the riding conditions like? Good surface? Tight? Sweepers? Some dirt? A mixture of all?

Cheers.
A mix. We chose to stay on pavement but there are miles and miles of well maintained dirt roads if you want to leave the tarmac. The road was in surprisingly good condition. No wet areas. No potholes and most surprisingly no salt/sand residue from the winter. Considering it's still somewhat early in the year around that area the road was remarkably well maintained. Climbing the pass the lower portions are fairly straight but the curves become tighter at the top. Heading north into Wyoming the road straightens out and there are 2-3 mile stretches that if you're so inclined, will allow you to hit the governed speed (disclaimer, I do not advocate that type of behavior) :angel:
 
Thanks Frulk, you are a lucky man.

Cheers.
And of course I understand. Some may ride within the "law", but if, inadvertently, we don't, then it should be.
 
10,000ft for O2 is weak pilots. My desk was at 4,300 meters and my bed at 4,000m. I worked there for 9.5 years. The Antamina mine in Peru.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
10,000ft for O2 is weak pilots. My desk was at 4,300 meters and my bed at 4,000m. I worked there for 9.5 years. The Antamina mine in Peru.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, but acclimatisation is the key. I once, to avoid some Cumulogranite, went to 16,000 without oxygen, and I would have to say that my thought processes became a little questionable. I've also done some runs in a decompression chamber that produced some amusing results that are probably best left for another discussion (can't for the life of me work CB1100, or even Other Bikes, into it).

Cheers
Also your post could lead to some interesting after-dinner discussion. Antamina? What the?
 
I once drove to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado, around 14,000 ft I believe. Just walking about at that altitude was tiring. My old Fiat wasn't happy either, running rich and sputtering the whole time. Glad our bikes are fuel injected now.
 
Thread starter
Altitude affects some people at heights as low as 7000 feet. At 9k everybody is starting to feel it (granted at varying degrees). As stated previously acclimatization is the key. Couple times during the summer I hump a 35-50 pound pack into the Wind River Mts for fly fishing. Most of those 5-7 day stretches are spent above 10k and day hikes can take us up to 11.7k. Much much easier to get to those altitudes on the back of a CB1100 like I did today
 
Altitude is hard on the body. How men have free climbed Everest is amazing. Fuel injection is a great invention over carbs if the system compensates.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Frulk_imp said:
Altitude affects some people at heights as low as 7000 feet. At 9k everybody is starting to feel it (granted at varying degrees). As stated previously acclimatization is the key. Couple times during the summer I hump a 35-50 pound pack into the Wind River Mts for fly fishing. Most of those 5-7 day stretches are spent above 10k and day hikes can take us up to 11.7k. Much much easier to get to those altitudes on the back of a CB1100 like I did today
Frulk, I'd give my left nut to walk up that way.


Cheers
 
Ptrodactyl, if you are after a walking boot made in Australia have a look at the "4002 Mulga Bushwalking Boot" made by rossi in Adelaide and it could do the job when on the bike also.

Regards
 
Awesome looking place to ride.
 
Fantastic pictures and report, Frulk. Looks like an amazing place to ride. I'm jealous.
 
Back
Top