NoNoise Motorsports Hearing Protectors

I've not tried those, but I have never found an earplug I have been happy with. Sometimes they block out so much all you can hear is your own heartbeat and breathing. Sometimes they make my ears actually hurt, and sometimes one foam earplug will expand just fine and the other one won't expand and stay in.

I even tried the custom kits that you mold inside your ears.

Would love to find an earplug I could be happy with.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've not tried those, but I have never found an earplug I have been happy with. Sometimes they block out so much all you can hear is your own heartbeat and breathing. Sometimes they make my ears actually hurt, and sometimes one foam earplug will expand just fine and the other one won't expand and stay in.

I even tried the custom kits that you mold inside your ears.

Would love to find an earplug I could be happy with.
+1 Mickey. I have tried about every type of ear plug there is and they always cause some level of discomfort and sometimes pain. It's discouraging when you buy some costly custom plugs and then find they're unusable. I would like to find some that would work for me but worry about being disappointed and out the cost again.
 
I used to have some custom musicians ear plugs. An audiologist creates a mold of your ear canal so they are a custom fit to your ear. I've seen some of the DIY earplug kits, this is a little more serious of a kit. They also had swap-able attenuation , 9dB, 15dB, 25dB. Worked great for mixing sound on concerts and festivals, I imaging they would have been perfect for motorcycles. I use my custom In-Ear-Monitors now, similar idea but with speakers built in.

Custom Ear Plugs

[url=http://www.hearos.com/products/ultimate-soft]I buy these in bulk, keep a pair in my wallet.

Better than the squared off foam plugs. You can pretty easily adjust the amount of attenuation depending on how far you insert them in your ear.

Some people prefer silicon ear plugs.

[url=http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/noise-ear-plugs/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value]I've persanally used them but they're probably be good on a bike.

Then there's this style.

[url=http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html]I like them for music but I'm not sure they'd fit under a helmet well.
 
I wear Howard Leight Air-Soft plugs. They weren't too pricy and have been comfortable enough for me so far.
 
I have used Bose noise cancelling in ear for two years. Model QCi 20. I won't ride any distance without them now. With a corded connection there is full control over an iPhone. Listen to music clearly or just silence, up to you. Below 60mph there is virtually no wind or engine noise. Wind noise above that is greatly reduced. There is no issue with fitting a helmet over them with the three users that I know that have them. Much, much better than moulded ear plugs or any other plug.
Not cheap, cost me about AUD350 as a new model but available at a better price now. Around the USD 250 mark I believe. Maybe even a later model available now. I don't give endorsements easily, but Bose (and Airhawk) are an exception.

Cheers
 
I've been using E.A.R sponge ear plugs for years with pretty good satisfaction. I've also used the silicone plugs mentioned by kevbroce with good satisfaction. I have several pairs of them now, but use them mainly for sleeping when I travel if it's noisy.
I saw those offered by Bikebandit, but read a review somewhere that wasn't glowing so passed on them. I read that quite a while ago and can't remember now where I read it.
 
I've had good luck with these. They really block a lot of sound (maybe a bit too much, actually, but I don't feel completely deaf), and I can usually take them in/out 3-4 times during a day's ride before they start to lose their ability to "spring back" when inserted in the ear. That can be pretty annoying when it finally happens...but since they're so cheap (200 pairs for $27), I just carry several pairs on longer trips and consider them disposable. Comfort level is better than any other plugs I've tried, though my ears will start to feel a little sore after a long day of riding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015TB...UTF8&psc=1
 
I was going to try the No Noise, until other forum members posted about Earpeace ear plugs. The Earpeace plugs are 2/3 the cost of No Noise, come with a nice aluminum storage tube, 3 different noise level reducing filters, and include a third ear plug, in case you loose one. Comparing the specs, Earpeace noise reduction is a bit better than the No Noise. The storage tube stores 2 plugs in the top end of the cylinder, and the spare in the bottom end of the cylinder.

The pull tabs on some plugs are too long, and hit the inside of my helmet. The pull tabs on the Earpeace are like those found on in ear hearing aids,and do not hit the inside of my helmet. I have found the standard size Earpeace plugs are reasonably comfortable, and with the max noise reducing filter in use, I still have situational awareness hearing. Earpeace has recently come out with what they call "Petite" size, which is 20% smaller in diameter than the standard size. This smaller size is for people with smaller ear canals, who find standard sizes painful for extended use time, and/or who have difficulty keeping standard size seated in their ear canals. Here is a link to Earpeace: MOTO Earplugs
 
I think there is an entire thread around here that has a more generic "Hearing Protection" title, but I'm on my phone now and it's too much of a pain to search for it. That said, I have tried several of the cone-shaped earplugs like No-Noise or Earpeace and all of them hurt my ears after a period of time. In 2017, I tried Mack's Pillow Soft earplugs at TheFerret's suggestion. Pillow Soft™ Silicone Earplugs: Find a Retailer | Mack's Ear Plug

There's a little more fiddling required to get then seated properly, but they are both quiet and comfortable for me. I reuse the same set for 4 or 5 rides or until I drop one and it picks up some gravel (happens enough to be worthy of mention). I actually buy the store brand version of the Mack's to save a few dollars.

Another benefit of these for those that listen to music is that they work really well to keep your earbuds in your ears and to suppress other helmet noise that typically creeps in around the earbuds. I rip one of the Mack's in half, put my earbuds in, then press in half an earplug over and around the earbud. Works pretty well and especially if you wear a Buff or balaclava under your helmet.
 
2017EX_imp said:
I was going to try the No Noise, until other forum members posted about Earpeace ear plugs. The Earpeace plugs are 2/3 the cost of No Noise, come with a nice aluminum storage tube, 3 different noise level reducing filters, and include a third ear plug, in case you loose one. Comparing the specs, Earpeace noise reduction is a bit better than the No Noise. The storage tube stores 2 plugs in the top end of the cylinder, and the spare in the bottom end of the cylinder.

The pull tabs on some plugs are too long, and hit the inside of my helmet. The pull tabs on the Earpeace are like those found on in ear hearing aids,and do not hit the inside of my helmet. I have found the standard size Earpeace plugs are reasonably comfortable, and with the max noise reducing filter in use, I still have situational awareness hearing. Earpeace has recently come out with what they call "Petite" size, which is 20% smaller in diameter than the standard size. This smaller size is for people with smaller ear canals, who find standard sizes painful for extended use time, and/or who have difficulty keeping standard size seated in their ear canals. Here is a link to Earpeace: MOTO Earplugs
For me, the Earpeace brand was next to pluggerz. I who'ed and haw'ed between the two. I rationalized the heck out of Earpeace and for the things you also said. Earpeace comes with the aluminum container which adds to the cost of the product. I find those little containers too fidgety for me, but it wasn't a deal breaker. pluggerz comes with a neat, albeit plastic pill-like box. Since I had a product like Earpeace in the past and I almost couldn't get the plug out of my ear (i.e. too small), I decided to go with pluggerz. So far they have been pleasant and economical to use, as well as easy to locate (orange colour).
 
Back
Top