No Monkey for now

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Dealer called today to say my Monkey was finally in. I've had a deposit on it since early June. Drove down there with my tie-downs. Cute little red non-ABS Monkey was waiting as I walked in the door. Salesman pulled out my paperwork and asked me to sign the sales contract with some rather exorbitant documentation, freight, and set-up fees (combined, they represented about 25% of the cost of the bike). I objected. He has a long list of folks who want the bike and refused to negotiate or budge on anything. I walked out. Honda will make more.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Dealer called today to say my Monkey was finally in. I've had a deposit on it since early June. Drove down there with my tie-downs. Cute little red non-ABS Monkey was waiting as I walked in the door. Salesman pulled out my paperwork and asked me to sign the sales contract with some rather exorbitant documentation, freight, and set-up fees (combined, they represented about 25% of the cost of the bike). I objected. He has a long list of folks who want the bike and refused to negotiate or budge on anything. I walked out. Honda will make more.
Good decision, 25% over is sick...will you get back deposit, or is lost forever??
 
Thread starter
He returned my deposit. It's a good dealership with sound integrity. I completely understand his unwillingness to negotiate considering the demand for the bike, but it cost him an easy sale.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
He returned my deposit. It's a good dealership with sound integrity. I completely understand his unwillingness to negotiate considering the demand for the bike, but it cost him an easy sale.
I do not blame at all for walking away , they all have to make a profit but 25 % over the cost of the bike !
 
i'm sure there'll be plenty of monkeys available in dealerships all over the country come spring. it sounds like that dealer smelled blood and wanted to gouge a honda fanboy.
 
That is now illegal in Ontario. Everything must be indicated in writing upfront. I am glad you managed to get out of the surprise.
 
by honda.com you can read:

Monkey

$3,999*

Starting MSRP

+ $190 destination charge



and with ABS 200 more
and in my place its 4480 plus 130 but we get here only the ABS version.....
or
at time is USD and sfr round the same level



 
Honda Motor Company (HMC), like virtually all manufacturers, itemizes freight & set-up. It is based on the engine size, and doesn’t distinguish geographical differences in the U.S.. ALL dealers are charged the same. Each dealer may then mark it up to whatever they want it to be. My lifelong experience is that almost every dealer misstates the actaul F&S to their customers by telling them “This is what HMC charges us.” The F&S charges are a cost of doing business so the dealer’s gross margin is tagged on. It is separated out from the original retail price to make the unit seem less expensive. (Obviously). Asking a dealer to forego F&S doesn’t just reduce their “profit”, it slips into the “losing money” category. The “hang tags” we placed on each unit would show the “price” of the unit in large font, and underneath that, in smaller font, would say “plus freight, set-up, and document fees”.

The “document fee” is PURE PROFIT. Always meant to be. A collaborative, insidious, and made-up charge to generate additional revenue. Ever notice how the fee, when mentioned on a radio ad, ALWAYS says “may include a NEGOTIABLE document fee of up to $150”? At least it always does within the state of Washington. It’s the law. Intended for customers to HEAR the word negotiable so they realize it isn’t mandatory.

I experienced all of this as the finance mgr at a Honda dealer for three years. I would listen to one of the owners sell bikes and side-by-sides as she, and the sales mgr, cleverly manipulated customers into over-paying. My “job” was to get the customer approved with a finance company at the lowest interest rate possible. Let’s say 4.00%. Then tell them “Congratulations! Your credit is SO GOOD, we just got you approved for a five-year loan at 6.00%! (The dealer gets an instant credit for the 2% difference, and the longest possible borrowing term increases that amount)

Math is hard. People are innumerate. (Illiterate...only with numbers not letters). The dealerships count on getting customers that didn’t sit in the front row in math class. It’s their bread and butter. As the owner would often say “I am NOT their mother! They are making their own choice!”

Still barely pays the bills, though. Owning a dealership is a financial struggle in the best of times. These aren’t the best of times.

You might think I’m a cynic, but all I’ve done is set down the facts...not just opinions.
 
Thread starter
^ Agree 100%

A buddy walked into a Honda car dealership years ago, negotiated the price on a new S2000, and agreed to the dealer's financing. He drove the car home. Two weeks later the dealer called to say they'd be unable to honor the finance contract at the agreed-upon interest rate, but they would finance the car at a higher rate. This was unacceptable to my friend so he drove the S2000 back to the dealer, dropped off the keys, and walked across the street to finance a new Mercedes. The Honda dealer got stuck with a used S2000 with several hundred miles on it. (In hindsight, I imagine they had no difficulty reselling the car).
 
If my dealer tries to pull that crap on me when my Super Cub 125 comes in I am walking. And he knows it already. 25% added fees is bullcrap on such a low cost bike.

My deposit is 100% fully refunded in writing.
 
Thanks for the insight, Olyrider. What sort of profit would a dealer make on a motorcycle sale?
 
well i dont know wehre is the problem.....i pay max what is/stands on the honda page.........or just the official honda paper pricelist

means in my case here just : 4480 plus 130 

bcos our prices here are normal still included all taxes and so on...

btw.
a typical thing here is for example in a restaurant....we pay / support (salary) not the waiter with the tip.......its all includ in the price of the restaurant card...
 
alprider, the problem lies in the fact that different countries have different laws about what has to be disclosed as part of the price. In the US it appears that dealers can advertise bikes at price plus taxes and charges whereas in other jurisdictions—Australia, for example—dealers must advertise the drive-away-no-more-to-pay price for their state. Go to a motorcycle site here and price a new model. It will ask your postcode and then give you the price which includes registration, insurance and dealer charges.

So, were I to want a new Monkey, the Honda website advises me it should cost AU$6,074 made up as follows:

Recommended Retail Price $5199
Stamp Duty (government charge) $162
Compulsory Third Party Insurance $309
Registration and Statutory charges $205
Deliver, Pre-delivery & Inspection $199
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks for the insight, Olyrider. What sort of profit would a dealer make on a motorcycle sale?
+1, being on the inside works of a dealership, Olyrider would know.
Simply stated, my experience of trying to negotiate a bottom-line price for a vehicle at a dealership is like playing “Whack-a-Mole” at the County Fair! Dealer padding pops-up all over the place!
 
hmm but all this extra fees and tax gives the state and are fixed or not ? so you can make caclulate self the bill amount befor... just no surprice after ?
 
Olyrider_imp said:
Honda Motor Company (HMC), like virtually all manufacturers, itemizes freight & set-up. It is based on the engine size, and doesn’t distinguish geographical differences in the U.S.. ALL dealers are charged the same. Each dealer may then mark it up to whatever they want it to be. My lifelong experience is that almost every dealer misstates the actaul F&S to their customers by telling them “This is what HMC charges us.” The F&S charges are a cost of doing business so the dealer’s gross margin is tagged on. It is separated out from the original retail price to make the unit seem less expensive. (Obviously). Asking a dealer to forego F&S doesn’t just reduce their “profit”, it slips into the “losing money” category. The “hang tags” we placed on each unit would show the “price” of the unit in large font, and underneath that, in smaller font, would say “plus freight, set-up, and document fees”.

The “document fee” is PURE PROFIT. Always meant to be. A collaborative, insidious, and made-up charge to generate additional revenue. Ever notice how the fee, when mentioned on a radio ad, ALWAYS says “may include a NEGOTIABLE document fee of up to $150”? At least it always does within the state of Washington. It’s the law. Intended for customers to HEAR the word negotiable so they realize it isn’t mandatory.

I experienced all of this as the finance mgr at a Honda dealer for three years. I would listen to one of the owners sell bikes and side-by-sides as she, and the sales mgr, cleverly manipulated customers into over-paying. My “job” was to get the customer approved with a finance company at the lowest interest rate possible. Let’s say 4.00%. Then tell them “Congratulations! Your credit is SO GOOD, we just got you approved for a five-year loan at 6.00%! (The dealer gets an instant credit for the 2% difference, and the longest possible borrowing term increases that amount)

Math is hard. People are innumerate. (Illiterate...only with numbers not letters). The dealerships count on getting customers that didn’t sit in the front row in math class. It’s their bread and butter. As the owner would often say “I am NOT their mother! They are making their own choice!”

Still barely pays the bills, though. Owning a dealership is a financial struggle in the best of times. These aren’t the best of times.

You might think I’m a cynic, but all I’ve done is set down the facts...not just opinions.
In a similar way, that was my experience with the CB1100. The heckle level was actually quite low because we knew each other. However, he did show the math that his personal take was actually about $150. Now, the CB is no Monkey, but the honesty and perspective gave me a better understanding of the business. The dealer itself did not make much more. I started to question how bike dealerships actually make decent profit in sales. Anyway, that is other discussion.
 
alprider_imp said:
hmm but all this extra fees and tax gives the state and are fixed or not ? so you can make caclulate self the bill amount befor... just no surprice after ?
Yes, the state charges are fixed and not negotiable. Only the RRP and dealer deliver fees could be negotiated. My point was that Australia may differ from the US in that I got that price from the Honda Australia website and it would be a brave dealer who would go above it.

I'd be interested in any insights into how dealers make a profit. I suspect getting purchasers to take finance is one way.
 
Back
Top