Nifty details and ramblings

Verdecken_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I've only been on the bike a total of 45 minutes, but I've been 'checking in' on it every hour or so since. Based on my ride and my idle staring at it, I've come to the realization that Honda is just one of those companies that makes products for the fans and not the critics. The CB11 gets panned by pro and amateur critics for being worse than a '90s nighthawk in a straight out drag, less horse power than 'this,' and far heavier than 'that,' but I doubt many of these people have loved the pure riding experience on an old CB. This bike is about the joy of riding. It has plenty of power and ergos to do just that.

After finding things like the clever little locking helmet hook (my 71 CB750 was pre any helmet hooks), the even-lighting of the gauges, the smooth ball joints on the mirrors, it hit me. The CB1100 is doing for the UJM fans what the CB750 did for motorcyclists in 1969; it's making the machine more refined and easier to just get on and enjoy without as much wrenching. Maybe these are pointless ruminations, but my FZ07 is a hot selling bike and after riding both the CB and FZ in the same day, I'd take the CB any day, hands down.

The details, the finish, build quality, and just overall feel and experience is worlds above. Going 70 on the FZ felt slightly terrifying as if I would be blown off or sideways or just snap the handlebars, and stopping had to be gradual or else I'd flip end over end as the sloppy suspension collapsed forward. Conversely, everything about the CB is smooth and refined. Acceleration, engine braking and downshifting, braking, just riding at 70+, it all felt qualitatively 'better.'

I'd be interested in hearing the little things others have noticed about our bikes that endears the CB11 to you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The objective accolades have already been written. For me, it's the subjective superlatives that matter the most. There's something about the riding position and feeling of the engine that no other bike I've owned can duplicate. It's just supremely pleasant and pleasurable. The bike makes no excuses for its shortcomings and demands nothing in return, except to experience the moment and enjoy the ride.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
The objective accolades have already been written. For me, it's the subjective superlatives that matter the most. There's something about the riding position and feeling of the engine that no other bike I've owned can duplicate. It's just supremely pleasant and pleasurable. The bike makes no excuses for its shortcomings and demands nothing in return, except to experience the moment and enjoy the ride.
+1, LR!
 
I was attracted to the CB1100 from the get go primarily for its looks. All the other positives are more or less like icing on the cake.
 
I've made the mistake in the past of buying a bike after reading statistics in magazines. Statistics from road tests written by 20 year old journalists who's idea of a bike test is to chase other journalists around a race track. Obviously you want the bike with 172bhp rather than the slug with only 169bhp! It takes an honest man to know his limitations (mine are 100bhp) but once he does then a whole new world of biking opens up.
 
The moment when I noticed that background of the Wing emblem on the tank is not solid black, but actually has a splash of red in it.
 
Like everyone on this forum, we all seem to have basically the same feelings for the bike, the look and craftsmanship are spot on but I love seeing the expression of others when they see the bike and start up a conversation or give an approving smile or nod.
 
I can feel a Zen moment coming on here. Sounds like we all appreciate romantic rather than classical quality values. Best not get discussing that here as I'm sure there are other forums dedicated to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
 
Gee, I dunno exactly what to add. I've only had my CB1100 std for a few weeks and it is still under 1000 miles. It is smooth for sure...plenty of power. I'm addressing the lack of "leg stretch" capability with engine bars and pegs. They are "in the mail." I wish mine had ABS, but it was the only new 2014 left in the region when I bought it for a very large discount. Love the 6th gear. The way the engine pulls reminds me of the old Kawa Voyager inline four that I had a couple of years ago. Of course being much lighter, it zooms faster...Believe it or not, my 95 BMW K75 3 cyl seems slightly smoother, but lacks a sixth gear and winds up big time even at 55 mph.
 
Guth_imp said:
I was attracted to the CB1100 from the get go primarily for its looks. All the other positives are more or less like icing on the cake.
+1
 
Excellent post, Verdecken... And the rest of you sum it up superbly.

After spending almost 2 hours waxing mine this afternoon after work all I can add is... I feel like I've come home.

... qg
 
Not sure what to say that hasn't been said already. Love this bike. First time I saw it online I remember thinking "what a sweet looking bike." I ended up selling my Yamaha Bolt and bought the CB. Nothing against the Yamaha (it's a great bike, and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a solid, reliable midsized air-cool vtwin) but the build quality between the two is night and day. Not to mention the CB is way faster and sportier, without sacrificing comfort and ergonomics.

I laugh when I read comments online about the CB1100 being "too pricey" or "not enough power" without even riding the bike. They have completely missed the point. The second I saw the CB and rode it, I immediately noticed the superior build quality and craftsmanship of the bike. The bike has that "solid" feel, and gear changes just click right into place like a precision Swiss watch. And 0-60 in 3.3 to 3.6 seconds is considered "slow" ? Sure it doesn't have crazy peak horsepower, and it can't rev to 15K+ rpm, but this engine's power delivery is exceptional for daily riding due to its strong low-end and midrange torque.
 
When I bought mine, I was looking on Craigslist for a old CB750 for a daily rider (to and from work). I owned a 09 Harley FXDL, that I rode as a daily rider. The Harley wasn't happy in the traffic and Deep South summer heat. I saw a listing for a 2014 CB1100 STD (new) at the Honda dealer. Never knew they made them. Stopped after work the next day and made a trade deal. I absolutely love this bike. Of corse I have customized it to suite my wants, needs and desires. I really want a Harley Street Gluide, but won't get rid of the Honda to get one. Just need to save up. Mean while. Will continue to enjoy my CB.
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
Not sure what to say that hasn't been said already. Love this bike. First time I saw it online I remember thinking "what a sweet looking bike." I ended up selling my Yamaha Bolt and bought the CB. Nothing against the Yamaha (it's a great bike, and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a solid, reliable midsized air-cool vtwin) but the build quality between the two is night and day. Not to mention the CB is way faster and sportier, without sacrificing comfort and ergonomics.

I laugh when I read comments online about the CB1100 being "too pricey" or "not enough power" without even riding the bike. They have completely missed the point. The second I saw the CB and rode it, I immediately noticed the superior build quality and craftsmanship of the bike. The bike has that "solid" feel, and gear changes just click right into place like a precision Swiss watch. And 0-60 in 3.3 to 3.6 seconds is considered "slow" ? Sure it doesn't have crazy peak horsepower, and it can't rev to 15K+ rpm, but this engine's power delivery is exceptional for daily riding due to its strong low-end and midrange torque.
I too absolutely adore my CB EX, and I can only agree on your comments concerning the build quality, fit 'n finish.
Its typical Honda (other than the chipping on the paint around the spark plugs :dodgy:).
Meaning, one of the best, if not the best.

And together with Honda, I consider Yamaha to be one of the best bikes too in terms of fit 'n finish (and Harley too tbh).
My dad has a XV1900 (Stratoliner/Roadliner) and that is also exceptional when it comes to little details.

The engine details for one are breathtaking.

Long story short, how come you conclude that the finish is night and day difference between the two?
I saw a Bolt and it could easily stand next to a CB in the fit 'n finish department.
 
Riko_imp said:
MikeOxbig_imp said:
Not sure what to say that hasn't been said already. Love this bike. First time I saw it online I remember thinking "what a sweet looking bike." I ended up selling my Yamaha Bolt and bought the CB. Nothing against the Yamaha (it's a great bike, and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a solid, reliable midsized air-cool vtwin) but the build quality between the two is night and day. Not to mention the CB is way faster and sportier, without sacrificing comfort and ergonomics.

I laugh when I read comments online about the CB1100 being "too pricey" or "not enough power" without even riding the bike. They have completely missed the point. The second I saw the CB and rode it, I immediately noticed the superior build quality and craftsmanship of the bike. The bike has that "solid" feel, and gear changes just click right into place like a precision Swiss watch. And 0-60 in 3.3 to 3.6 seconds is considered "slow" ? Sure it doesn't have crazy peak horsepower, and it can't rev to 15K+ rpm, but this engine's power delivery is exceptional for daily riding due to its strong low-end and midrange torque.
I too absolutely adore my CB EX, and I can only agree on your comments concerning the build quality, fit 'n finish.
Its typical Honda (other than the chipping on the paint around the spark plugs :dodgy:).
Meaning, one of the best, if not the best.

And together with Honda, I consider Yamaha to be one of the best bikes too in terms of fit 'n finish (and Harley too tbh).
My dad has a XV1900 (Stratoliner/Roadliner) and that is also exceptional when it comes to little details.

The engine details for one are breathtaking.

Long story short, how come you conclude that the finish is night and day difference between the two?
I saw a Bolt and it could easily stand next to a CB in the fit 'n finish department.
I too absolutely adore my CB EX, and I can only agree on your comments concerning the build quality, fit 'n finish.
Its typical Honda (other than the chipping on the paint around the spark plugs :dodgy:).
Meaning, one of the best, if not the best.

And together with Honda, I consider Yamaha to be one of the best bikes too in terms of fit 'n finish (and Harley too tbh).
My dad has a XV1900 (Stratoliner/Roadliner) and that is also exceptional when it comes to little details.

The engine details for one are breathtaking.

Long story short, how come you conclude that the finish is night and day difference between the two?
I saw a Bolt and it could easily stand next to a CB in the fit 'n finish department.
Hard to explain, but you would notice the difference in fit and finish between the two once you look real closely and start noticing the details. And the real difference is when you ride off and literally feel the CB being better quality. Again, not to hate on the Yamaha Bolt, it's a great bike for the price. But there is a reason why that Yamaha is around $8K and The CB1100 is $10K to $11K+. Once again, you get what you pay for.
 
The difference in feel when riding is also because of the layout and concept.
One is a V twin and the other is a 4 in line, thats automatically much smoother, nothing to do with build quality.

When looking at what you get, I'd say the yami is priced quite high, only about 2k less, yet the CB has a lot more going on.
Better brakes, suspension and substantial more power.

I'd say the Yamaha is price so high, because of the quality.
Its an inferiour bike at that matter but priced like a superior bike, because of the build quality.
 
Just to clarify, not to over-generalize Yamahas by any means; I'm just comparing the CB to the Yamaha Bolt (not all Yamahas), which is somewhat of an entry-level type of cruiser; very minimalistic (in a good way), simple etc. I will add, the Bolt had some massive low-end torque, like right off idle, it pulls hard, but loses steam after that!

But I do believe comparing the two, there is a huge difference in fit and finish. Sometimes hard to explain, but just small details here and there once you look closer. Like Riko mentions, the CB has a lot more going on (Better brakes, suspension and substantial more power). I'd also like to add the transmission is much better on the CB; not that the Bolt had a bad tranny, the CB is just that much better.
 
I've got less than 500 miles on my CB so can only give a first impression. To me, coming from Valkyries and Harleys, it seems extremely light, solid, and agile. The transmission is the smoothest I have ever driven. I am so use to searching for neutral that I have to get use to shifting twice to get down from second to first! I do not miss the clunk! I owned a Suzuki GS750E back in the 70s. The CB brings back memories of everything I loved about that bike!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top