Nice restoration, what year is it?

Rocky_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Because of our lousy spring weather, I haven't had the CB out very much yet, but several times when I've stopped for gas or a coffee with other people around, I get the above comment and question.
They are quite stunned to learn that it's a brand new motorcycle - then they realize their mistake when they get very close to the bike.
But that shouldn't be too much of a surprise because there are so few around and have only been available in Canada since 2013.
I'm sure it has happened to many of you too.
 
Yep, mostly old codgers with poor eyesight, they also point the bike out to their wives as you ride past, probably saying "Ooh look Gladys, remember when I had one of those?"
 
And Gladys, also short of sight, says, "And I'm glad you don't have one so often any more."
 
The other day a guy next to me at a red light says hey man what year is that, I said it's actually a new 14, a retro bike I said,he's like man I knew that was a CB but it couldn't be 40 years old!:)
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
The other day a guy next to me at a red light says hey man what year is that, I said it's actually a new 14, a retro bike I said,he's like man I knew that was a CB but it couldn't be 40 years old!:)
yeah, One guy approached me at the parking lot and said
"What a well maintained bike, what year it is?"

Mature gent in his 60s (no that is not old)
 
I've actually had two recently that walked up and said "Is that the new CB 1100?" Word must be getting around.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Because of our lousy spring weather, I haven't had the CB out very much yet, but several times when I've stopped for gas or a coffee with other people around, I get the above comment and question.
They are quite stunned to learn that it's a brand new motorcycle - then they realize their mistake when they get very close to the bike.
But that shouldn't be too much of a surprise because there are so few around and have only been available in Canada since 2013.
I'm sure it has happened to many of you too.
It's been happening to me regularly since last year. It's gotten to the point where I can see the question coming just by the expression on the persons face. Kind of a quizzical, confused look. :P

One leather and denim clad Harley rider at a stop light took me completely by surprise. Rather than inquire about the bike's year, he said, "Hey, is that the new CB1100?". Who woulda guessed?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
And Gladys, also short of sight, says, "And I'm glad you don't have one so often any more."
You've become quite the comedian of late mate.

Speciality seems to be knobs and erections. Which is good!
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
And Gladys, also short of sight, says, "And I'm glad you don't have one so often any more."
You've become quite the comedian of late mate.

Speciality seems to be knobs and erections. Which is good!
There was a time when they went together.
 
I had a couple park next to me (they were driving a car) and the husband and I picked up a conversation about the CB. He asked what year it was and when I told him it was brand new, a 2014, his wife immediately exclaimed "he told me that was a vintage!" She proceeded to take a picture of the CB! Had a guy in a car at a stop light tell me that "he owned a bike just like that once"; you should have seen the look on his face when I told him it was a 2014 model!
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
I had a couple park next to me (they were driving a car) and the husband and I picked up a conversation about the CB. He asked what year it was and when I told him it was brand new, a 2014, his wife immediately exclaimed "he told me that was a vintage!" She proceeded to take a picture of the CB! Had a guy in a car at a stop light tell me that "he owned a bike just like that once"; you should have seen the look on his face when I told him it was a 2014 model!
I think all these similar replies prove that Honda got it right since the CB fools so many people.
I love the retro look and I've had a lot of similar experiences with my Bonneville.
The first time I even heard of a CB1100 was a picture in a bike magazine. I was immediatly lusting for one, but they weren't available in Canada yet - not until 2013.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I missed getting one last year, but with the six-speed, standard ABS and the improved digital display, I'm rather glad I had to wait a year.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
I had a couple park next to me (they were driving a car) and the husband and I picked up a conversation about the CB. He asked what year it was and when I told him it was brand new, a 2014, his wife immediately exclaimed "he told me that was a vintage!" She proceeded to take a picture of the CB! Had a guy in a car at a stop light tell me that "he owned a bike just like that once"; you should have seen the look on his face when I told him it was a 2014 model!
I think all these similar replies prove that Honda got it right since the CB fools so many people.
I love the retro look and I've had a lot of similar experiences with my Bonneville.
The first time I even heard of a CB1100 was a picture in a bike magazine. I was immediatly lusting for one, but they weren't available in Canada yet - not until 2013.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I missed getting one last year, but with the six-speed, standard ABS and the improved digital display, I'm rather glad I had to wait a year.
I think all these similar replies prove that Honda got it right since the CB fools so many people.
I love the retro look and I've had a lot of similar experiences with my Bonneville.
The first time I even heard of a CB1100 was a picture in a bike magazine. I was immediatly lusting for one, but they weren't available in Canada yet - not until 2013.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I missed getting one last year, but with the six-speed, standard ABS and the improved digital display, I'm rather glad I had to wait a year.
I too fell in love at first sight.

I however got C-ABS luckily on my 2013. :D

How is the new dash better? I love mine. Really clear day or night.
 
Thread starter
I too fell in love at first sight.

I however got C-ABS luckily on my 2013. :D

How is the new dash better? I love mine. Really clear day or night.
[/QUOTE]

To tell the truth I have never seen a 2013, just heard/read that the display is "improved."
My '14 has a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer and a series of fuel/distance related displays that can be brought up with two buttons.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I too fell in love at first sight.

I however got C-ABS luckily on my 2013. :D

How is the new dash better? I love mine. Really clear day or night.

To tell the truth I have never seen a 2013, just heard/read that the display is "improved."
My '14 has a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer and a series of fuel/distance related displays that can be brought up with two buttons.
[/QUOTE]
To tell the truth I have never seen a 2013, just heard/read that the display is "improved."
My '14 has a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer and a series of fuel/distance related displays that can be brought up with two buttons.
[/QUOTE]

I lack the gear indicator but don't miss it. Only had one bike with it and seldom looked at it.

I have a fuel gauge which is nice.

Fuel and distance info is also missing. I have a clock, odo, and trip.

All the things I ever use I have so I'm content. The new one seems a little more aimed at the iPhone generation. I wouldn't swap mine. Not for this reason, but because of the woeful new switchgear. Ask the ferret....
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
I too fell in love at first sight.

I however got C-ABS luckily on my 2013. :D

How is the new dash better? I love mine. Really clear day or night.

To tell the truth I have never seen a 2013, just heard/read that the display is "improved."
My '14 has a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer and a series of fuel/distance related displays that can be brought up with two buttons.
To tell the truth I have never seen a 2013, just heard/read that the display is "improved."
My '14 has a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer and a series of fuel/distance related displays that can be brought up with two buttons.
[/QUOTE]

I lack the gear indicator but don't miss it. Only had one bike with it and seldom looked at it.

I have a fuel gauge which is nice.

Fuel and distance info is also missing. I have a clock, odo, and trip.

All the things I ever use I have so I'm content. The new one seems a little more aimed at the iPhone generation. I wouldn't swap mine. Not for this reason, but because of the woeful new switchgear. Ask the ferret....
[/QUOTE]
Geez, mate, leave the Ferret alone and let his blood pressure settle a bit after the hammering you have him yesterday.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
And Gladys, also short of sight, says, "And I'm glad you don't have one so often any more."
:rofl::rofl::rofl::beerchug::thumbsup:
I was in the Dr's office last week, rode my CB. When I left, a guy in the waiting room asked if I was riding the Honda CB1100, (I was carrying my helmet). He said that he was parked next to me, and asked a bunch of questions about the bike, he had clearly been researching the CB1100. He said that he recently purchased his bike, but that they "don't make'em like they used to", and he is considering trading it in on something else,

The Dr's office we were at is in a complex in a hospital. Huge parking lot, and very unlikely to be going to the same office. When I got to my bike, there was a shiny new H-D Road King parked next to it,.......odd.
 
Back
Top