Nice kick between 7K and redline...

_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Bike has about 200 miles and I am starting to briefly open it up. Break it in fast and it'll be fast, right? Anyway the thing has a nice strong kick above 7K, pulls hard to 8K, in 2nd gear. Really does feel like 80+ HP. I know some dyno runs have shown RWHP in the low 80s. I believe it. A pleasant surprise.
 
Dang 200 miles and you are zinging it to 8k? My bike will never see 8k. Ive got 2300 miles on mine and its only been to 5k.

Not saying you cant or shouldn't do that, I just don't. I sold my FZ-1 Yamaha with 30,000 miles on it and although the redline was at 13K, mine had only been to 8k once and mostly never over 6 k.
 
Ferret- Eventually "The Force" will be with you, son, and you will not be able to refuse it's draw... It is powerful, more so to those who deny it's need. Big Red will not be denied...
 
Lol the last bike I would zing to redline regularly was my 73 Yamaha RD 350... In 1973. My GS1100e, my KZ1000 nor my FZ-1 ever saw redline

I don't ride like that anymore, haven't for years. I'm fine just cruising around.

Ive only been to 100 twice in the last 20 years. 3 years ago on the autobahn in Germany (106 mph) and then again last year in Montana ( 110 mph) on rt 89, a straight stretch of road 20 miles long with nothing but fields on either side, on our way to Glacier. literally used to do it everyday in the 70s on a long local straightaway on my way into work in the morning just to get the morning started. Then 1 day I had 3 deer jump out in the road and I couldnt get it stopped in time. They split up, I weaved, and I missed one by maybe 3 feet.retty sure I could have reached out and smacked it in the rump with my hand had I been able to let go of the bars. Can't get that out of my mind. It was soooo close. Could have been really bad. Things happen very quickly at that speed.

When you get to a certain age, and are truly and honestly amazed that you survived considering how you rode when you were young. It changes your outlook about riding fast.

On the track is one thing, where its wide open, clean, everyone going the same direction, no cross streets, no driveways, but on the streets with cars and critters and gravel, and debris.....it's just too much of a risk for me.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Dang 200 miles and you are zinging it to 8k? My bike will never see 8k. Ive got 2300 miles on mine and its only been to 5k.

Not saying you cant or shouldn't do that, I just don't. I sold my FZ-1 Yamaha with 30,000 miles on it and although the redline was at 13K, mine had only been to 8k once and mostly never over 6 k.
You're babying your bikes, LOL! I think you must be talking about the 2nd gen FZ, right? I had the first gen, an '05. Dang fast bike, way faster than the CB1100. The gen 1 had a strong kick above 7K to redline, really straightened the arms out nicely.

There is an old saying, "break it in fast and it'll be fast, break it in slow and it'll be slow." I have broken in quite a number of new bikes over the past three decades just this way and have never had any issues. Particularly these days where the manufacturing tolerances and materials are so good, they're made to wear in with normal usage. I wouldn't hold the bike at that RPM just yet but allowing it to rev freely through the upper zone and then upshift should not at all be harmful. The redline is put where it is because that is the maximum safe RPM; the bike has a rev limiter and it is built hell-for-strong. You are not going to hurt this bike by shifting just below redline.
The ferret_imp said:
Lol the last bike I would zing to redline regularly was my 73 Yamaha RD 350... In 1973. My GS1100e, my KZ1000 nor my FZ-1 ever saw redline

I don't ride like that anymore, haven't for years. I'm fine just cruising around.

Ive only been to 100 twice in the last 20 years. 3 years ago on the autobahn in Germany (106 mph) and then again last year in Montana ( 110 mph) on rt 89, a straight stretch of road 20 miles long with nothing but fields on either side, on our way to Glacier. literally used to do it everyday in the 70s on a long local straightaway on my way into work in the morning just to get the morning started. Then 1 day I had 3 deer jump out in the road and I couldnt get it stopped in time. They split up, I weaved, and I missed one by maybe 3 feet.retty sure I could have reached out and smacked it in the rump with my hand had I been able to let go of the bars. Can't get that out of my mind. It was soooo close. Could have been really bad. Things happen very quickly at that speed.

When you get to a certain age, and are truly and honestly amazed that you survived considering how you rode when you were young. It changes your outlook about riding fast.

On the track is one thing, where its wide open, clean, everyone going the same direction, no cross streets, no driveways, but on the streets with cars and critters and gravel, and debris.....it's just too much of a risk for me.
I hit a deer at 70 mph once and thank God I survived it OK. The deer did not. It was at night, I was pushing to get somewhere, and I was a young man. It is often the luck of the draw at that point.

That said, I'm talking in 2nd gear, like getting onto the freeway or just opening her up to clear out the cobwebs, as we used to say. I really have little interest in cracking 100 mph any longer. But the CB will give you all a nice little thrill up in the high region of the tach in the first couple of gears, which was unexpected. The bike really seems to be loosening up and getting smoother and quicker with every ride.
 
Dang hitting a deer at 70. That had to be a mess lol. Not sure I could climb back on after that. We have so many deer and so many leo 's around here anymore, riding fast is hardly worth it.

Im not saying at all that others shouldn't experience the thrill of a redline or high speed run, its just not for me anymore. Been there..survived it lol
 
Ferret - For me, all of 62 years and I still can't resist "The Force" ,tho it has lost some of it's power...
Someday I will grow up, tho a shovel probably won't be far behind :)
 
darmahman_imp said:
Ferret - For me, all of 62 years and I still can't resist "The Force" ,tho it has lost some of it's power...
Someday I will grow up, tho a shovel probably won't be far behind :)

Lol..yea I can understand that. You sound like a "young" 62, whereas I'm an " old" 63
 
Ferret is the kind of guy you want to find to buy a used motorcycle/car from. They are hard to find. I have cut some real capers on motorcycles in my youth and pretty lucky to get away with them to be honest. Back then, there just didnt seem to be as much traffic and law everywhere. I have never owned anything in my life I didnt open up to see what it had but I have slowed way way down.
 
Thread starter
Here is my little update; this bike is FAST. I don't mean for what it is; it is genuinely quick. It loves to rev and can be ridden hard between 6-8K RPM, where the power is strong and the control is excellent.

I don't know about how other CB's feel but seat of the pants, for this bike's weight (running 91 octane) I am guessing a good 85 HP at the rear wheel.

I think if the speedo cutout was disconnected it is an honest 130 mph machine, not that I recommend that on the street.

The Freddie Spencer video shows just what I'm talking about. He is riding it exactly that way, keeping the revs high and getting a great drive out of every turn. The bike really likes to be in that zone, if you like that sort of thing. It is no slug by any means.

Freddie Spencer On a Bad Seed CB1100
 
Good to know it's there if I would choose to use it
 
Jim different dynos get different results. I have seen dyno reports showing peak power at 7500 and peak torque at 5000. ive seen horsepower figures anywhere from 79 to 84. i suppose individual bikes could give different results as well.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
Interesting about your note from 7k to redline. A dyno test by one of the magazines shows something to the contrary.

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=377111
if you're on the dyno in 5th or 4th gear and the bike hits the speed limiter and starts cutting out, you can't get the bike into a higher rpm like you could in lower gears
if you're on the dyno in 5th or 4th gear and the bike hits the speed limiter and starts cutting out, you can't get the bike into a higher rpm like you could in lower gears I keep it below 100; I just cracked 90 today but it got up there real quick. This bike has loosened up and gained power unlike any new bike I can remember, most likely because it's air-cooled and the tolerances are a bike looser and parts "mate" a bit more. That is, it starts out a bit loose and then the rings and valves begin to seat more so than with a liquid-cooled engine.
Deanohh_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
Interesting about your note from 7k to redline. A dyno test by one of the magazines shows something to the contrary.

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=377111
if you're on the dyno in 5th or 4th gear and the bike hits the speed limiter and starts cutting out, you can't get the bike into a higher rpm like you could in lower gears
if you're on the dyno in 5th or 4th gear and the bike hits the speed limiter and starts cutting out, you can't get the bike into a higher rpm like you could in lower gears
That graph is not telling you the truth. My bike pulls hard right past 8,000 rpm in the first three gears. In fact it reminds me of my FZR400, it loves to rev and likes being ridden up there. No way does the power fall right off like the graph shows. Mine keeps on building right into the red zone. I love it.
Now it is all making sense to me. I think these earlier dyno runs were done without the knowledge of the speed limiter. I would love to see a real run with the thing unhooked. I bet you would see around 90 HP. I think a good comparison is with the V45 Interceptor, back in 1983. The bike weighed exactly the same, had a virtually identical wheelbase (that helps with a launch for 1/4 mile testing) and was claimed by Honda to put out 86 crankshaft HP. RWHP as measured on the dynos of the day was around 77-80. That bike could get through the 1/4 in the mid 11's. I wager a plug nickel the CB1100 would kick its butt if uncorked. This bike has HUGE potential.
The ferret_imp said:
Jim different dynos get different results. I have seen dyno reports showing peak power at 7500 and peak torque at 5000. ive seen horsepower figures anywhere from 79 to 84. i suppose individual bikes could give different results as well.
Yeah, the dynos and the bikes vary as does the weather, test conditions, etcetera etcetera...
The ferret_imp said:
Jim different dynos get different results. I have seen dyno reports showing peak power at 7500 and peak torque at 5000. ive seen horsepower figures anywhere from 79 to 84. i suppose individual bikes could give different results as well.
Found something seems to be posted by you as well, showing 87 HP at 7500 RPM. That is just exactly what I think I'm feeling.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?122982-Honda-CB1100-2013/page2
 
Dang how in the world did you find that? I just transferred all that info over to here in a thread called "compared to the classics" , I thought these guys might find interesting.

This was off internet info I had dug up, before seeing any actual dyno charts. Info was very hard to come by back then. The Japanese and Aussies who had had the bike for 2 years had no forums and weren't talking about it on the net.

I wrote that back in Dec 12 when the bike was just a rumor here. I had already told my dealer I wanted his first. He told me he had no info it was coming lol.
 
I think I get a little high frequency vibe getting up to 5-6k rpm and so i just assumed it would get worse if I kept going... But it actually gets smoother up into the 7-8 k rpm area. Or am I imagining it?
 
Back
Top