NH riding

curlyjoe

Road warrior
Thread starter
One of my favorite areas to ride these days is in the area north of Wilton, NH and east of Hillsboro, NH.

Route 136 from Greenfield to New Boston is a great road and route 149 from Weare to Hillsboro is good too.

It's sad to see this old fire engine in a shed that is literally collapsing. Hopefully somone will rescue it and restore it some day.


Sign looks encouraging at the start of route 149 in Weare


View to the west from Deering, NH on route 149
 
Ive ridden in NH. It's really beautiful up there. KAncamagus Highway, White Mountains, Mt Washington Auto Road. Awesome
 
I have also ridden in New Hampshire in recent years and also driven there many, many times years ago in a Ford station wagon loaded with a canvas tent and my young family.
It's a beautiful state, and if I ever considered moving out of Canada (that will never happen) it would be to NH.
 
Great area for many outdoor activities and just plain looking at.
Two years ago we went to Lake Winnipesaukee and saw Shane from the Walking Dead :-)
In the 80's I took my 900 Ninja on a couple camping trips in the Whites
I was thinking of trailering my CB with us next time we go...
 
Thread starter
I picked up my 2008 ST1300 and went for a 220 mile ride in the same area on Saturday. It's an amazing bike. :)

 
Curly, that bike is beautiful in red. Mine is black. I like the red better.

You might want to put some bygdawd rear tip-over bars on it, or MCL or even some Goldwing bars will fit. Will protect the bags if it goes over.

Add some RLETS! I may have the only ST in the US with RLETS! (You might need Nemo to get them on though :). )
 
Beautiful Joe. I like the red too. Mine is also black. Great combo the ST and the CB.

I have a set of the Gold WIng bars in garage I never installed. Couldn't get the holes lined up. Maybe wrong year?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Curly, that bike is beautiful in red. Mine is black. I like the red better.

You might want to put some bygdawd rear tip-over bars on it, or MCL or even some Goldwing bars will fit. Will protect the bags if it goes over.

Add some RLETS! I may have the only ST in the US with RLETS! (You might need Nemo to get them on though :). )
The bygdawd tip over bars look perfect. I'll have to order a pair. The left engine guard (black plastic cover) has some scratches on it and unfortunately the tank on the left side has a small dent with some of the paint gone. I didn't see these imperfections at the dealer so I messed up there. Also, the tank stickers and a warning sticker near the right rear rack are still there, lol.

Funny about you mentioning the RLETS. I was thinking the same thing on my ride yesterday and wondering if it was appropriate for this bike, lol.

When I left the dealership, I was a little disappointed in the sound of the engine so I stopped and filled the tank with fresh gas. Gradually through the ride, the engine sounded better and better and the fuel economy improved with time. I have a feeling this bike sat in a garage for an extended period of time which would explain the low miles on the odometer. I'll have to do a seafoam treatment. I ordered a service manual and will check the condition of the spark plugs and brake pads. The dealer changed the engine oil and filter and also changed the gear oil in the shaft drive.
 
One thing you wont like so much about the ST is changing the oil filter. What a pain, especially compared to changing the oil on the CB. THe oil filter on the ST is on the back of the engine over the centerstand pivot. Oil runs all over the exhaust unless you cover it with aluminum foil. I curse it eveytime I do it and I've done it like 17 times now lol. Rear end oil is a piece of cake.

Coolant inspection is behind left inspection cover by cyclinder head. HArd to see. BUt if you pull the little rubber cap and can see any coolant in there you are good to go.

Btw those covers have a push pin, and after removing push pin they have to swing out to the side horizontally before they will come off.

ST-Owners.com is a great site, very helpful and friendly like this one. I actually use Joe (moderator over there) as an mentor for moderating here.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the heads-up on the filter, ferret. Sounds like a real pain. Would a funnel of appropriate size and shape with a rubber hose on the end work or is there not enough room to get it under the filter?

I started checking out ST-owners.com. As you said, it looks like a great forum.
 
Ferret, someone on the ST board suggested putting a plastic bag over the filter and catching the oil. I did that and had no oil all over anything. Didn't seem that bad to me, although the filter is a pain.

Curly, I would also suggest going here and printing out the pages for removing the panels. I did and it made them so much easier to get off. Easier than following the service manual. http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com/tech_tips/st_tech_tips/front_fairing_removal.html

Although you can get a Fenda Extenda for it if desired, You can get a really nice carbon fiber one from the UK. I can look it up if you want. Looks good on the black bikes.
 
Not much room because of the centerstand. Use the search engine over there for changing the oil filter and you will see a dozen methods guys have come up with to change it. Some use aluminum foil, some use turkey basting pans wrapped around the centerstand legs, some do it on center stand some do it on side stand and some use a combo of the two.

If you find a way that isn't a (1) pain and (2) mess, let me know lol

Edit: popgun, that's a thought. I have another change coming up soon, I will try that.
 
I remember the fun of changing the oil filter on my ST1300. I would place aluminum foil around everything near the filter. Correct me if wrong ferret, but I seem to remember having to put the ST on the side stand to get at the filter. I would do this after having drained the oil pan whilst on the center stand.

Beauty of a bike there CJ. Mine was red also but a 2005.
 
I don't own an ST but I do like them. Would using a front wheel chock, which would allow you to retract the center stand, make oil changes any easier?
 
back from a great CB ride. Um no LR actually it seems the easiest way to get to the filter is on the sidestand but at the same time pulling the centerstand down (and holding on to it) and out of the way.
 
Thread starter
I was out west of Jaffrey, NH on route 124 which is one of my "new" favorite roads. Mount Monadnock dominates the skyline in this area.

Mt. Monadnock


Lucky folks in houses that have a view of Mt. Monadnock.
 
Back
Top