NGK LMAR8A-9 vs -9S

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Noticed that mechanics have historically used NGK LMAR8A-9 spark plugs on my 2014 CB1100DX. Noticed that the spec says to use NGK LMAR8A-9S for Honda's. Asked ngk.com (aka sparkplugs.com) vendor about this ... their answer: "The only difference is the the "S" on part number 6817 LMAR8A-9S stands for special gasket. Usually the means the gasket is made of stainless steel. The NGK-4313 LMAR8A-9 plugs just have the standard plated steel gasket." FYI, the two models are both $6.54ea from this vendor. Anyway, I bought the 9S model.
 
^^+1^^
Awaiting spring instalment:

77dafc37186c8278454114dddebd58c3.jpg


4ce3398f78c40ee631491136bc74b1ab.jpg
 
bflint_imp said:
Noticed that mechanics have historically used NGK LMAR8A-9 spark plugs on my 2014 CB1100DX. Noticed that the spec says to use NGK LMAR8A-9S for Honda's. Asked ngk.com (aka sparkplugs.com) vendor about this ... their answer: "The only difference is the the "S" on part number 6817 LMAR8A-9S stands for special gasket. Usually the means the gasket is made of stainless steel. The NGK-4313 LMAR8A-9 plugs just have the standard plated steel gasket." FYI, the two models are both $6.54ea from this vendor. Anyway, I bought the 9S model.
So you have been running the non S plugs in your dlx without issue?

BTW here's an interesting thread about the plugs and post 79 by Max may very well explain the purpose of the special washer

Spark Plugs
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
Noticed that mechanics have historically used NGK LMAR8A-9 spark plugs on my 2014 CB1100DX. Noticed that the spec says to use NGK LMAR8A-9S for Honda's. Asked ngk.com (aka sparkplugs.com) vendor about this ... their answer: "The only difference is the the "S" on part number 6817 LMAR8A-9S stands for special gasket. Usually the means the gasket is made of stainless steel. The NGK-4313 LMAR8A-9 plugs just have the standard plated steel gasket." FYI, the two models are both $6.54ea from this vendor. Anyway, I bought the 9S model.
So you have been running the non S plugs in your dlx without issue?

BTW here's an interesting thread about the plugs and post 79 by Max may very well explain the purpose of the special washer

Spark Plugs
All my service invoices show the non-S plug part number. This is the first time I looked at the installed plugs ... so can only testify that last dealer (my fav MotoWorld .. not) installed non-S plugs. Seemed to run ok. Just one more reason though to do my own work here in San Diego. I have always told the service dept's that I am not concerned about costs ... I just want it done correctly and to use OEM stuff ... these NGK plugs are the first non-OEM mech stuff I have knowingly purchased based on current lead times to get the Honda OEM plugs. OBW .. could not find the Max post in the link you posted.
 
Page 8 post #79 is Max's post
 
That Max seems to be a pretty smart fella and luckily shares his observations/ knowledge with us
 
^^ +1

This forum is lucky to have a good number of people like him.
 
So at this point we can say using spark plugs without the "S" at the end are safe to use?
With that being said let's just be careful and inspect them once in a while to avoid any type of corrosion, right?
It's not like we are getting wet under hurricanes everyday
 
Here I will issue my standard disclaimer: Beware counterfeit NGK plugs, particularly those bought on Ebay for a very good price.
Stick with a real shop or a reputable source.

Don't ask me how I know. But, NGK has a "how to spot a fake" section on their website.
 
Back
Top