Newbie looking at purchasing 2014 Deluxe

drodg33

Been there
Thread starter
I have been hanging around here for a bit and I am getting pretty serious about buying a 14 CB1100 DLX. I sold my last motorcycle about four years ago it being a ST1300. I don't believe I will be riding much long distance any longer so I started looking at early mid 70's CB750's and CB500's. Should have bought one about three years ago before they got pretty pricey. Anyhow I would like to actually see a CB1100 before buying one and if possible ride one. My local dealer can get one and he has given me a fair price but I cannot seem to find one any where close. I live in the Chicago area (Indiana) so I am wondering if any one from the Chicago are knows where there might be one to test ride? Thanks for any input and I have enjoyed this sight for awhile now.
 
As of three weeks ago I knew of several. Three standards and two Dlx. Do a search of the Chicagoland dealers and check their on-line inventory and call them up. Test rides are a little harder to come by. It varies by dealer. Some can't wait to hand you a key while some flat out won't demo this bike. Ask me how I know...

Otto Bros. In Lyons, Il had a Dlx vin number 64, if memory serves. Dupage Honda had a standard that I did ride. Fox Valley Honda had one of each that they are reeeeal proud of - if you know what I mean. And Des Plaines Honda had a standard. There are also a few 2013's around and you won't have much trouble demoing one of those, I found out.

Good Luck! Enjoy the shopping! :hello:
 
I dont know where you are from but DLX models are getting hard to come by. Abernathy Honda called me today and said they cant help. Southern Power sports in Chattagnooga called and said no dice also. Those are two big Honda dealers in my part of the world. Plenty of standards and 13s available. Not sure what is going on with this.

My guess is that the 1100 is a slow seller period. My local stealer had a std that sold and was traded right back in with a fart can on it. Probably was not fast enough. ONly 190 miles. THey still want 500 under list which is a joke and dont have the original exhaust. Idiots.
 
Getting a CB has pretty much cured me of getting an older Honda (except perhaps the CJ360T) as it has most of the charm of the old bikes without all the heartaches (e.g. carbs etc.). It's pretty much how you remember them, rose coloured glasses and all. Better motor, better chassis and handling, better reliability.

Only not as cheap, but I bet it's cheaper to own.
 
There are still two in the Cool Springs Tennessee Honda dealer, one of each. My dealer said the DLX is not selling well and production is down, so down they cannot get one.
 
If you're heading to Des Plaines Honda, and if you are particularly fond of ham with your breakfast meal, then stop in at L&L which is about a block west on Northwest Hwy (US14).
(I'm beginning to notice a trend in my posts)
 
Rboe_imp said:
Getting a CB has pretty much cured me of getting an older Honda (except perhaps the CJ360T) as it has most of the charm of the old bikes without all the heartaches (e.g. carbs etc.). It's pretty much how you remember them, rose coloured glasses and all. Better motor, better chassis and handling, better reliability.

Only not as cheap, but I bet it's cheaper to own.
Absolutely my feelings and experience. When I started street riding, it was on the 360/550/750 progression. That was 40 years ago and the bikes were new. No problems owning each one for only a few years. During the past three years I picked up a CB400T and a CB900 Custom as a result of those fond memories. Even though these two bikes were in fantastic condition, they needed almost constant TLC, and those carbed bikes do not like to sit, and problems in other areas will pop up due to age and the 1970s technology.

Whenever they were parked for a spell, I got tired of worrying what problem would make itself known next. I sold both and bought my 1100, it was the best decision I've made in a while. I am so glad Honda completely re-engineered the 1100 rather than just copying parts from the old models. Stepping back and looking at the big picture, it was really the only decision they could have made, what with the buying public used to fuel injected modern technology of current brands and models.
 
The ethanol in our fuels, something the old bikes didn't have to contend with when we rode them, contribute to idle bikes going to hell. I dumped my CB350F this past spring as I was not looking forward to another summer of pulling and cleaning four carbs. On the other hand, my single carb XR650L has been sitting a lot and it still starts and runs great. Go figure.
 
Thread starter
Well I have had numerous classic cars and you are correct about them sitting and having issues. I am kind of tired of it and I would like a bike with ABS and fuel injection. I have looked at the different mods you all have done and I like being able to make my bike personal to me. As i said on a previous post my last bike was a ST1300 and it was a great bike but I never really went anywhere with it except for early morning rides etc. I was always home the same day. So I think until I retire down the road most of my riding will be 200 mile or less rides. So that being said I think the CB1100 really fits where I am today. I love the styling and the new price point is comfortable for me.
 
I don't think I'm really all that old, but I look at the new bikes with their heavy transformer styling cues and they leave me cold. Bikes like the CB, Triumph Bonneville, Moto Guzzi V7 Special (and Racer for some odd reason) and now the Yamaha SR400 I find very attractive. I wish Kawasaki would bring over the W800 and that Honda would do a refresh on the GB500 (GB650 perhaps?). I nice 500-650cc single, standard, with classic British early bike styling would make for a nice day or town bike. Better than a large 1100cc brute (I find the CB is gentle in town but ideally a 400lb single or small twin would make more sense and be light enough to throw through the twisty bits - not unlike the Guzzi V7). The Royal Enfield should be mentioned but a buddy has one and he is sorting that bike as often as I did my old 350 four. Maybe even more so. A nice cool bike, but it should be a second bike, not a primary.

But the V7 is just a bit small for me and while I like V twins and singles, having at least one inline four in the stable rounds things out nicely.

I had visions of long rides and tours when I got back into riding but for the most part is has not materialized (two long over nighters in five years - the shame!) and yet I still buy gear like I'm going to tour. What a dreamer! Perhaps when I retire.

For me the CB really hits most of ticks for a bike for me and where I used to think the old 650L would be last bike they would pry from my cold dead fingers, the CB may just be that machine. It's heavier, but much easier to swing a leg over...... :D
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I don't think I'm really all that old, but I look at the new bikes with their heavy transformer styling cues and they leave me cold. Bikes like the CB, Triumph Bonneville, Moto Guzzi V7 Special (and Racer for some odd reason) and now the Yamaha SR400 I find very attractive. I wish Kawasaki would bring over the W800 and that Honda would do a refresh on the GB500 (GB650 perhaps?). I nice 500-650cc single, standard, with classic British early bike styling would make for a nice day or town bike. Better than a large 1100cc brute (I find the CB is gentle in town but ideally a 400lb single or small twin would make more sense and be light enough to throw through the twisty bits - not unlike the Guzzi V7). The Royal Enfield should be mentioned but a buddy has one and he is sorting that bike as often as I did my old 350 four. Maybe even more so. A nice cool bike, but it should be a second bike, not a primary.

But the V7 is just a bit small for me and while I like V twins and singles, having at least one inline four in the stable rounds things out nicely.

I had visions of long rides and tours when I got back into riding but for the most part is has not materialized (two long over nighters in five years - the shame!) and yet I still buy gear like I'm going to tour. What a dreamer! Perhaps when I retire.

For me the CB really hits most of ticks for a bike for me and where I used to think the old 650L would be last bike they would pry from my cold dead fingers, the CB may just be that machine. It's heavier, but much easier to swing a leg over...... :D
I know I have all of the stuff and I did do some longer rides from Indiana down to the Appalachians etc. I am ashamed to say not many. I think it was more about the dream of a long ride, tour. I don't really do that anymore. Though I still dream.... I have had my share of BMW RT's also that are great bikes but local service doesn't exist and so I think the CB1100 can work for me with a few mods until I can take off 10 days and do a real tour.
 
I think most of us "waste" money on the dream. But you know, aim for the stars, maybe hit the moon. :D
 
Aim for the stars, scratch head. Put down weapon. Pop to the dealer and buy a CB1100. Heaven. :D
 
Excellent. Keep us posted.
 
Thread starter
I will keep you posted. I am pretty excited about buying one and I just need to do a little work on the wife this weekend....
 
Back
Top