New Windscreen

Ben70_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I had the opportunity to "commute" to the coast five times over the course of the summer, about 250 miles one way, and thought it would be nice to have some wind protection.
I agree with all who say the bike is lovely on country roads between 45 and 60 mph, naked. I do have to keep up with freeway traffic at times and enjoy longer rides, so after perusing the various options and opinions thought I would give the Plexistar 2 a try.
I copied Dude's lead from the "Windshield Hell" thread and Plasti-dipped the inside, actually used the Rustoleum Peel Coat, which offers a better color selection at Home Depot.
I chose silver with a dark gray over coat, which gives a pleasant non glare finish inside the shield and a nice look from the outside, close to matching the side cover.
Took it for a spin to Black Butte and it performed well, more wind noise but no real buffeting. Solid and stable to 85 mph, had a 15 to 20 mph headwind and crosswind at times, no problem. I look forward to getting to the coast again before it gets too wet, and feel like it will be a good fit for winter around here.



Ben
 
That looks like it will protect you from wind fatigue.

Do you think there will be any issue of the rider "getting hot" during summer season riding?
 
Thread starter
Absolutely! It was 94 here today and a very warm ride with that screen on. Just had to try it out. I usually don't like to ride in that heat even with no screen! Last gasp of summer though. During the heat I ride to the mountains or the coast, or not after about 10 AM.

Ben
 
Painted like that it looks like an old Bates handlebar mounted fairing from the 70's. Plexifairings do a good job for the money. I have run them on lots of my bikes.

172c7200a73983848b88d06a27e8a4db.jpg
 
Ben70_imp said:
I had the opportunity to "commute" to the coast five times over the course of the summer, about 250 miles one way, and thought it would be nice to have some wind protection.
I agree with all who say the bike is lovely on country roads between 45 and 60 mph, naked. I do have to keep up with freeway traffic at times and enjoy longer rides, so after perusing the various options and opinions thought I would give the Plexistar 2 a try.
I copied Dude's lead from the "Windshield Hell" thread and Plasti-dipped the inside, actually used the Rustoleum Peel Coat, which offers a better color selection at Home Depot.
I chose silver with a dark gray over coat, which gives a pleasant non glare finish inside the shield and a nice look from the outside, close to matching the side cover.
Took it for a spin to Black Butte and it performed well, more wind noise but no real buffeting. Solid and stable to 85 mph, had a 15 to 20 mph headwind and crosswind at times, no problem. I look forward to getting to the coast again before it gets too wet, and feel like it will be a good fit for winter around here.



Ben
The ferret_imp said:
Painted like that it looks like an old Bates handlebar mounted fairing from the 70's. Plexifairings do a good job for the money. I have run them on lots of my bikes.

172c7200a73983848b88d06a27e8a4db.jpg
Hey ya, great contrast between the two. Super Ben70.
 
Ben70_imp said:
I had the opportunity to "commute" to the coast five times over the course of the summer, about 250 miles one way, and thought it would be nice to have some wind protection.
I agree with all who say the bike is lovely on country roads between 45 and 60 mph, naked. I do have to keep up with freeway traffic at times and enjoy longer rides, so after perusing the various options and opinions thought I would give the Plexistar 2 a try.
I copied Dude's lead from the "Windshield Hell" thread and Plasti-dipped the inside, actually used the Rustoleum Peel Coat, which offers a better color selection at Home Depot.
I chose silver with a dark gray over coat, which gives a pleasant non glare finish inside the shield and a nice look from the outside, close to matching the side cover.
Took it for a spin to Black Butte and it performed well, more wind noise but no real buffeting. Solid and stable to 85 mph, had a 15 to 20 mph headwind and crosswind at times, no problem. I look forward to getting to the coast again before it gets too wet, and feel like it will be a good fit for winter around here.



Ben
Mount one of these to your PS2 and the wind noise will disappear.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-tour-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade
 
Thread starter
Thanks, TC... I am on the bubble over that. Afraid if I put that on, combined with my funky top box it may cement my geezer cred in all who look upon me. All I need is a triangular orange flag :)
Really, though, that may be next. Cormanus would say ditch the whole thing, but I'm liking it.

Ben
 
Cormanus would also say don’t worry about your ‘geezer cred’. If it’s comfortable and works for you, go for it. There’s few other benefits from becoming a geezer.
 
Ben70_imp said:
Thanks, TC... I am on the bubble over that. Afraid if I put that on, combined with my funky top box it may cement my geezer cred in all who look upon me. All I need is a triangular orange flag :)
Really, though, that may be next. Cormanus would say ditch the whole thing, but I'm liking it.

Ben
There’s nothing wrong with geezer! Most of us that ride the CB probably fall into that category
 
Don’t say that too near misterprofessionality.
 
Back
Top