I like Mike's style as well (and impressed with his video abilities). He seems to be a ponderer like myself. Always pondering something.
In 1977 at the age of 27 I got my first real liter bike a new Kawaskai KZ 1000 (had a few Harley Panheads before then but don't count them). Since then I've had quite a few amazing liter bikes... GS1100E, VF1100S, two FZ-1's, 2 CB 1100's, and an ST 1300. They may be larger but I just love how competent bikes of 1000cc and up are. They can thrill you with their high speed ability and amaze you with their low speed ability. What I mean by that is you can go cross country, 2 up with luggage and pass someone up a grade just by twisting your wrist, You can be going the speed limit in Utah, come up behind an 18 wheeler doing 75 and just squirt around him leaving him in the dust with a flick of the wrist, yet you can be running 55 on a state route and come to a small village and drop down to 25 without downshifting, roll thru the village and accelerate out the other end, without shifting. It's almost like riding an automatic.
I've owned a few smaller than 1000cc since....a couple three 650's couple three 750s , a 790, an 850, two 883s, and just always found them lacking. Age, (I turn 67 later this week) strength, or health may force me someday to get something smaller and there are a few that I would consider SV650, NC700, CB500X, maybe a couple of others, but don't think I will be happy if that comes to pass.