New Tyres - new noises!

ElevenForty_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all,

Just had new tyres (TIRES!!) and inner tubes mounted to my CB. Bridgestone Battlax T31. Standard 18" sizes front and rear. I now have a lot of noise coming from the front wheel at all speeds over 15mph. Sounds like a bad wheel bearing but at a constant frequency. I checked it all out and reinstalled both wheels to correct procedure. Wheels spin freely, no brake calliper binding. Checked out chain slack - fine. Bike has 6000 miles and had no such noise on original Dunlops (which I didn't really like) T31's in this size are designed to be used with or without tubes as required. I am now 200 miles in on the new rubber so they should be scrubbed in.

I removed front mudguard and went for a spin. Noise still there albeit not as intrusive so ruled out excessive resonating between tyre and mudguard. I have a road comet nose cone fitted so I will remove that next to repeat the experiment.

Anyone else have similar problems after fitting new tyres? Anything obvious about the front or rear axles I may have missed out?
 
I really liked the OEM Dunlop's on my 2017 and replaced them with the same , including inner tubes . No strange noises from either wheel .
 
I ran one set of T31s on my 2011 bike and had no problem with noise. Hope you figure it.
 
I don’t know if it would cause noise, but are the tires mounted in the right rotational direction? It can happen. My dealer did it and had to remount a tire. Naturally I didn’t notice until I got home.
 
Hi there,

Any luck finding the solution? I'm having exactly the same issue with my new front Bridgestone T 32.
I had Bridgestone before in other bikes and never had this issue. Did already 300 miles and the noise is still there. Went to my mechanic and he can't find nothing wrong. But the noise was not there before the tire change... I checked the Honda parts assembly manual and everything seems correct.
It's driving me nuts and can't believe its just the tire. Would be a possibility that when they changed the tire, they changed the rotation direction of the rim (rotation of tire is correct), making the bearings settle in a different way? Maybe dumb question but can't see anything else...
 
Maybe check that each spacer is on the correct side. On some bikes they are asymmetrical; not sure about the CB1100.
 
I think this is a feature of this tyre but possibly exacerbated by heavier loads, i.e. heavy bike + heavy rider. Can I be rude enough to ask you if you are a heavy weight person? I am a heavy fella and I do get this front tyre noise off the T31 which I did not get with the OEM tyre. I'd be fairly sure there is no issue with the install and this is the nature of this tyre on this bike. The noise may not be there with a lighter rider but I couldn't say that for sure. It is something to do with the tread design and how it hits the road. You could try lowering or raising the PSI on the front by one or two to see if it has any impact. I wear earplugs as much as possible which negates almost all of this front end noise.

Just out of interest, this is a very well known noise feature on the 1200 Triumph Tigers with the OEM Metzeler Tourance Next which drives everyone crazy. It was so bad on mine I sent the tyre back to be examined by Pirelli (same group) who said it was normal. It drove me to a headache on the bike if I had forgotten to fit earplugs. I changed to Bridgestone A41's and 80% of the noise went.
 
That's interesting Tev. I have OEM Metzler Tourance Next's on my NC 750 and I don't notice any tire noise.

I used hear noise from the Michelin front tires on my ST, FJR, but it never bothered me. I figured it was echoing up thorough the front fairings
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's interesting Tev. I have OEM Metzler Tourance Next's on my NC 750 and I don't notice any tire noise.

I used hear noise from the Michelin front tires on my ST, FJR, but it never bothered me. I figured it was echoing up thorough the front fairings
I can imagine that is the case The Ferret, I really think it is a function of the heavy load of the larger bikes which had them doing it. The NC being a lighter machine probably doesn't tax the tyre so much. I really liked the feel of the Metzeler, great feedback wet or dry and a reasonable wear rate.
 
Rod, if you look you will see that there are little arrows on the wheel, the rotors, and of course, the tire.

My dealer mounted a tire backwards on the wheel of one of my bikes once. Mistakes happen. Wish I had noticed before I got the wheels home. Had to go back…
 
YEARS ago Metzeler reversed the rotation on some of their front tires , they explained that additional research shoed that the rec=verse rotation was better . Installer got confused when they just looked at the treads on the front tire and some installation mistakes were made (including a tire on one of my bikes ! )
 
Tev62_imp said:
I think this is a feature of this tyre but possibly exacerbated by heavier loads, i.e. heavy bike + heavy rider. Can I be rude enough to ask you if you are a heavy weight person? I am a heavy fella and I do get this front tyre noise off the T31 which I did not get with the OEM tyre. I'd be fairly sure there is no issue with the install and this is the nature of this tyre on this bike. The noise may not be there with a lighter rider but I couldn't say that for sure. It is something to do with the tread design and how it hits the road. You could try lowering or raising the PSI on the front by one or two to see if it has any impact. I wear earplugs as much as possible which negates almost all of this front end noise.

Just out of interest, this is a very well known noise feature on the 1200 Triumph Tigers with the OEM Metzeler Tourance Next which drives everyone crazy. It was so bad on mine I sent the tyre back to be examined by Pirelli (same group) who said it was normal. It drove me to a headache on the bike if I had forgotten to fit earplugs. I changed to Bridgestone A41's and 80% of the noise went.
Seems to be a good tire.
 
I confirm that the Bridgestone Battlax T31 are consistently noisier than any of my previous tires, and this phenomenon is frequently mentioned on other forums. As the noise comes mostly from the front tire I have noticed that it is more pronounced when I wear my modular helmet (closed) than my jet. They are also probably the best tires I have ever had in terms of grip, specially on wet roads. They give me added confidence and despite the noise I have just bought a new pair. I hope than once reassured about the origin of the noise you will get used to it and forget it , and enjoy the better handling!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I ran one set of T31s on my 2011 bike and had no problem with noise. Hope you figure it.
I ran these on my 2014 CB1100 last year on my annual cross country and had no problems/noises.
 
I’ve same noise coming form my front wheel. I thought it might be the bearing but after reading this post it could very well be a noisy tyre.
Have to check tyre brand but i think it s Battlax
 
One of the nice things about being over 80 - can't hear those annoying little sounds - like my wife asking if I took the trash out.
 
Back
Top