New toy to scoot around on

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
It's a 2019 C650GT. 60 hp, twin cylinder, DOHC 650 with CVT, ABS, traction control, electric windscreen, heated grips, heated rider & passenger seats, 15" wheels. Rated at 112 mph. I haven't taken delivery yet but the reviews are glowing.

af4181d684a097e55e35d2f0b1df9fda.jpg
 
Maxi scooters are awesome. Congrats LR
 
Looks good LongRanger. All day cruisin' comfort and a deep well of storage.

I did freeway rates on a Piaggio single cylinder 500 cc (39 hp) and no problems sustaining 120 km/h all day, although likely not nearly as smooth as I expect the C650GT twin would be.
 
Nice Scoot! I had one of those as a loaner on one of my R1200R's numerous warranty visits to the dealer. I had ridden so many of their loaner bikes that I chose the scooter for my last loaner as sort of a goof, but I found it very comfy and more than competent on the freeways.
 
Does it come with a Starbucks gift card? :P

Congrats! Looks like fun!
 
Stichill_imp said:
That's awesome! I'm so curious...have never ridden any kind of scoot.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.

You might not like the acceleration-from-stop "lag" of a CVT-equipped scooter. It is an unusual feeling. However, at mid-stride the velocity picks up nicely on a CVT.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
That's awesome! I'm so curious...have never ridden any kind of scoot.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.

You might not like the acceleration-from-stop "lag" of a CVT-equipped scooter. It is an unusual feeling. However, at mid-stride the velocity picks up nicely on a CVT.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.
I'll bet. Like most 2-wheeled conveyances...I might not be able to touch down around the floorboards. :)

GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
That's awesome! I'm so curious...have never ridden any kind of scoot.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.

You might not like the acceleration-from-stop "lag" of a CVT-equipped scooter. It is an unusual feeling. However, at mid-stride the velocity picks up nicely on a CVT.
The real question for inquiring minds: can it wheelie under any circumstances? :P
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
That's awesome! I'm so curious...have never ridden any kind of scoot.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.

You might not like the acceleration-from-stop "lag" of a CVT-equipped scooter. It is an unusual feeling. However, at mid-stride the velocity picks up nicely on a CVT.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.
I'll bet. Like most 2-wheeled conveyances...I might not be able to touch down around the floorboards. :)

GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
That's awesome! I'm so curious...have never ridden any kind of scoot.
You might like the convenience and economy Stich.

You might not like the acceleration-from-stop "lag" of a CVT-equipped scooter. It is an unusual feeling. However, at mid-stride the velocity picks up nicely on a CVT.
The real question for inquiring minds: can it wheelie under any circumstances? :P
The only CVT that I am aware of that can [routinely] pull off a wheelie is this:



(click for more)

Its start-from-stop is eerily like scooter, but immediately after that it will leave sport bikes in dust until maybe 80 mph after which they will pass by. I believe top speed is capped to 180 km/h - probably to prevent belt shredding. Aprilia actually had to detune the engine for the powertrain.

Additionally, you can store a full-face helmet where the gas tank normally goes on a motorcycle, plug in your electronic gadgets in the "tank storage", and gasoline is poured into a filler under the passenger seat.
 
I saw some reviews of that bike. The conclusion seemed to be that it was a two-wheeled spork, not really good at being a scooter or a motorcycle.
 
Good on you LongRanger. Looks a lot of fun.
 
Thread starter
The wheelbase is 62.2", which is longer than the CB1100's 58.5" wheelbase, but yes, it has 15" wheels which are considered large for a scooter. But it weighs about 575 lbs, about the same as a CB1100 DLX but nearly 100 lbs. heavier than my R1200R.
 
Pretty awesome! What are the service intervals like on the beemer?
Kymco has a new maxi coming to the states. Wish honda would bring over the integra 750 dct scooter

affcc99a2821341a020bd494755cda64.jpg




Ps I see that you have a 15 rt.. have you had any problems with it? Currently looking at 15-18 r1200r's and rt's
 
Thread starter
On the C650GT, basic service intervals (fluids, filters, etc.) are DIY every 6000 miles. CVT belt and chain/sprocket final drive inspection (enclosed oil bath) is every 12,000 miles. Special tools are required to replace the CVT belt so I’ll probably suck it up and have the dealer do it. I think valve inspection is every 24,000 miles and requires about an hour of shop time just to remove the Tupperware.

The RT has been a good bike for me (I’m 6’6”). Supremely comfortable and has tremendous range (300+ miles per tank). Very smooth and powerful engine but I still haven’t mastered consistently smooth shifts with the gearbox. I believe the ‘16 and newer bikes have an updated transmission. The RT isn’t exactly a light bike but it remains the lightest “touring bike” you can get (depending on how you define “touring bike”). No regrets with my purchase. The only problem I’ve had is a burned out low beam, which I was unable to replace myself. The dealer charged 0.3 hours to do the job. How he got his hands up behind the fairing to access the bulb is beyond me.

Interesting that you mention Kymco. They manufacture the C650GT engine for BMW, though it’s exclusively a BMW product and was designed in-house by BMW. The bikes are fully assembled in Berlin.
 
Back
Top