New tires!

michael1954

Been there
Thread starter
I am going to be an optimist :D and believe I will be able to ride this fall and winter, regardless of my problems with my vision. So, I am finally putting new tires on my EX. I remember reading several threads about increasing the tire size, but my memory failed me. I went ahead and ordered std size, front and rear, new radial-ply tubes and rim flaps for both tires. I hope I did not buy a 'bad' tires without the Forum's advice, but I bought Bridgestone's BT54 tires all around. The std size has served me well, even though I do like the look of a larger tire, the bike has never seemed to need them. Hopefully I did okay. I am glad to be back! Thanks, George, for the trick to get the Forum looking like it used to! :biker:
 
Michael for most of us I think, going to larger sizes was not because of a fault with the stock tire sizes, but due to a lack off alternate replacements available in the stock sizes.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Michael for most of us I think, going to larger sizes was not because of a fault with the stock tire sizes, but due to a lack off alternate replacements available in the stock sizes.
Know much about the BT54 tires? They replace the D205's, which I could not find, and are std size radials.
 
The only reported problem I recall with the BT54s is that the front tyre doesn’t last too long. Can’t say myself; I’ve never had them, but forum members have had them.

Bridgestone’s BT32s get a better wrap.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The only reported problem I recall with the BT54s is that the front tyre doesn’t last too long. Can’t say myself; I’ve never had them, but forum members have had them.

Bridgestone’s BT32s get a better wrap.
That's right with the BT54. Only half as long as the rear tire. In numbers, 15.000km compared to 30.000km. Now I mounted the BT023 as a front tire and hope for more km. It has a very different deeper profile structure and is available for the CB. Will see how it works out. In Germany we are alllowed to mix tires as long as the fitting specs are right. They are.
 
Thread starter
Wisedrum_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The only reported problem I recall with the BT54s is that the front tyre doesn’t last too long. Can’t say myself; I’ve never had them, but forum members have had them.

Bridgestone’s BT32s get a better wrap.
That's right with the BT54. Only half as long as the rear tire. In numbers, 15.000km compared to 30.000km. Now I mounted the BT023 as a front tire and hope for more km. It has a very different deeper profile structure and is available for the CB. Will see how it works out. In Germany we are alllowed to mix tires as long as the fitting specs are right. They are.
That's right with the BT54. Only half as long as the rear tire. In numbers, 15.000km compared to 30.000km. Now I mounted the BT023 as a front tire and hope for more km. It has a very different deeper profile structure and is available for the CB. Will see how it works out. In Germany we are alllowed to mix tires as long as the fitting specs are right. They are.
Since it seems I bought a front that will not last too long, it seems it must be softer rubber. Did it grip better since softer tires usually do?
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
not really. tread depth was fairly dismal from new
Funny, I googled the BT54 tires and found a thread from the Forum from 2014. Several members were thrilled about the tire and its performance. Not sure if they are still here or if they kept using them, but at the time they seemed to like them. Guess I will find out since they will be here Tuesday next week.
 
Thread starter
488e957d00e640c76b11e0c490c19f57.jpg

2b08a33a369505ce2600a766d848206e.jpg

491c2da5b46e12052e6d6dd6928cc4b1.jpg


da55850128c5ea83ca2b58c7d895ce32.jpg


Hi guys, these are the pixs of the BT54s I bought new. The picture that shows both in the box, shows how bad the front looks. I also have a pix of the new rear BT54 and the new T-32. What do you all think? I am glad I returned the front BT54, as it looked used and with very thin thread. The T-32 looks much deeper and should last much longer. The third pix is the front BT54.

377dce8f35c603b156a542abcb95732b.jpg

This last pix is the new T-32.
 
Michael, do you have a tread depth gauge?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Michael, do you have a tread depth gauge?
No, but just eyeballing it, the T-32 looked way deeper than the front BT54. I wonder if it even had 2/32 of an inch. It looked way shallow compared to the T-32. I sent it back, so I do not know its true depth, but I have seen enough tires to know it looked funny.
michael1954_imp said:
488e957d00e640c76b11e0c490c19f57.jpg

2b08a33a369505ce2600a766d848206e.jpg

491c2da5b46e12052e6d6dd6928cc4b1.jpg


da55850128c5ea83ca2b58c7d895ce32.jpg


Hi guys, these are the pixs of the BT54s I bought new. The picture that shows both in the box, shows how bad the front looks. I also have a pix of the new rear BT54 and the new T-32. What do you all think? I am glad I returned the front BT54, as it looked used and with very thin thread. The T-32 looks much deeper and should last much longer. The third pix is the front BT54.

377dce8f35c603b156a542abcb95732b.jpg

This last pix is the new T-32.
Another pix of the T-32 showed up, the front BT54 is the 4th pix.
 
There was a missing “[“ on one of the picture links, Michael. I fixed it.
 
Just had a new Angel GT installed on the front. I thought Pirelli'd stopped making them, but this one was manufactured this year. I also bought a rear for when I need it. That was manufactured last year.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Just had a new Angel GT installed on the front. I thought Pirelli'd stopped making them, but this one was manufactured this year. I also bought a rear for when I need it. That was manufactured last year.
Had them on my Z900RS. They gripped the corners well and fast!
 
I’ve had one set in the past and really liked them. Couldn’t get them during Covid. I’m relieved they’ve turned up again.
 
I am also in the market for some new rubber.

My Cb1100 is a 2017 plate however the codes on the tires say 2014 so guessing these are the originals and also the inner tubes.

Being some 10 years old they do feel a little hard and not very grippy in the wet. Originals fitted are 110/80 R18 and 140/70 R18

I see a few of you changed from stock size?

What is the recomended alternative sizes?

Was looking at Bridgestone T32 which i assume can run with tubes?

I can get the original D205's but they are quite expensive and many touring/sports tyres get better right ups?
 
Thread starter
Davidjill_imp said:
I am also in the market for some new rubber.

My Cb1100 is a 2017 plate however the codes on the tires say 2014 so guessing these are the originals and also the inner tubes.

Being some 10 years old they do feel a little hard and not very grippy in the wet. Originals fitted are 110/80 R18 and 140/70 R18

I see a few of you changed from stock size?

What is the recomended alternative sizes?

Was looking at Bridgestone T32 which i assume can run with tubes?

I can get the original D205's but they are quite expensive and many touring/sports tyres get better right ups?
I kept stock sizes, just to make it easy and the size has never been an issue with handling. I definitely bought two new tubes from Honda off the "PartsFish.com website". Much better price than any store. I also replaced the spoke protector strip on each rim, to make each setup brand new. Now all I got to do is get my health back up to steam and get riding. I am just about there! And yes, the T-32 and BT54 both use tubes on the EX.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Davidjill_imp said:
I am also in the market for some new rubber.

My Cb1100 is a 2017 plate however the codes on the tires say 2014 so guessing these are the originals and also the inner tubes.

Being some 10 years old they do feel a little hard and not very grippy in the wet. Originals fitted are 110/80 R18 and 140/70 R18

I see a few of you changed from stock size?

What is the recomended alternative sizes?

Was looking at Bridgestone T32 which i assume can run with tubes?

I can get the original D205's but they are quite expensive and many touring/sports tyres get better right ups?
I kept stock sizes, just to make it easy and the size has never been an issue with handling. I definitely bought two new tubes from Honda off the "PartsFish.com website". Much better price than any store. I also replaced the spoke protector strip on each rim, to make each setup brand new. Now all I got to do is get my health back up to steam and get riding. I am just about there! And yes, the T-32 and BT54 both use tubes on the EX.
I kept stock sizes, just to make it easy and the size has never been an issue with handling. I definitely bought two new tubes from Honda off the "PartsFish.com website". Much better price than any store. I also replaced the spoke protector strip on each rim, to make each setup brand new. Now all I got to do is get my health back up to steam and get riding. I am just about there! And yes, the T-32 and BT54 both use tubes on the EX.
Thanks, just pulled the trigger on T32's with new tubes as well :-)
 
After a few Bridgestone BT54F for the front I changed to BTO23 in stocksize. Hopefully I will get more km out of this tire than out of the previously used ones, which lasted round about 13.000km averagely. I guess I will, because the BTO23 has a totally different profil structure.

As for the rear tire I stay with the BT54F. I've mounted them and all of the used tires has been good for more than 26.000km. Maybe it's my riding style, which makes it possible. But not with the front tire til now. The engine may be too heavy to allow more km with the front BT54F and its profil. This may change now. Will see. Mostly I brake with the rear brake because of the CBS, which I like. So my braking style is not the case for the relative low amount of km compared to the rear tire.
 
Davidjill_imp said:
I am also in the market for some new rubber.

My Cb1100 is a 2017 plate however the codes on the tires say 2014 so guessing these are the originals and also the inner tubes.

Being some 10 years old they do feel a little hard and not very grippy in the wet. Originals fitted are 110/80 R18 and 140/70 R18

I see a few of you changed from stock size?

What is the recomended alternative sizes?

Was looking at Bridgestone T32 which i assume can run with tubes?

I can get the original D205's but they are quite expensive and many touring/sports tyres get better right ups?
David, many of who changed from the stock size did so only because the only available radial tyres did not have a stock 140/70 for the rear. The Michelin Pilot Road 3 and the Pirelli Angel GT only came with a 160/60 rear. Luckily they seemed to work fine. The Michelins, in particular, were a long wearing tyre.
 
Back
Top