New Tires

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Had a heck of a time finding a pair of matching tires for my CB1100 Std. I wanted same brand, same model tire and radials. Only thing found was a pair of Metzeler Road Tec Z8 M spec, reasonably priced at Revzilla, so I bought them. I only need the front tire right away, as the Dunlop (Dunflop) OEM is cupping badly on the left side only. Dunflop doesn't have the D205s anymore and showed no listing for my tire sizes. I'm not sure I would buy them, even if I were to find them. I've never had good success with that brand.
 
Thread starter
TCinNC_imp said:
http://www.americanmototire.com/cat...2&osCsid=5cef8edecbe7bd9b8712ac13f193ab16
You can find your matching Metzler front tire here for $107.89 plus free shipping. I just realized you need the rear tire, they have it here also, for $139, I just ordered one.
Yes, I saw those but the prices were about the same, plus HondaParts ships from FL. Chaparal is in CA. Not sure about AMT.
Chaparal showed the Bridgestones as OEM for 2013 models. Wonder why Honda put Dunflops on the 2014?
 
Honda put either Dunlop or Bridgestone on the 2010-2014 bikes.
 
I'm pretty sure mine had Dunlop tyres originally. They were OK. Can't get them in Australia now; nor the Bridgestone BT54s. I've been using Michelin PR3s and loving them even if the rear is slightly oversize.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Next time, try Chaparral (on-line). They have the OE Bridgestone BT54's.
+1. The BT54 is a good all around tire. It's kinda nice to have the luxury of keeping the factory sizes. To my way of thinking, if you deviate, have a good reason and be prepared to accept any trade offs.
 
Thread starter
Looking at the width of the front forks, there is plenty of room for a wider tire than 110. Might look for a 120 x 18 x 18 next time, if it is even made for a street bike. Wider tire = better stability.
 
White Dog_imp said:
Looking at the width of the front forks, there is plenty of room for a wider tire than 110. Might look for a 120 x 18 x 18 next time, if it is even made for a street bike. Wider tire = better stability.
That's true, but narrower tire = easier turn-in and better responsiveness and agility. I guess it all depends on what you're after.
 
Thread starter
The Metzelers came yesterday and were returned today. Revzilla sent me a rear tire with 0315 date code. I would have expected a newer tire from such a large tire dealer. Sarah, in Customer Service quickly sent me a prepaid return label and I'll get a refund once the tires arrive back to them and are processed. She also set up a new order for the same tires and is holding it until i call with my CC # after the refund is processed. She also arranged to have the replacements sent directly to them in Philly so they can see the date codes before they ship to me. Before I turned the tires over to UPS, I took a look at the date code on the front tire and was quite surprised to see 2012 and made in China. Sarah says their goal is to ship tires newer than 2 years but year 2012? Somebody dropped the ball.

If for some reason the second set of Metzelers are unacceptable, I'll order Bridgestone BT54's from Chapparel.
 
Unless they tell you otherwise, there's probably no assurance that Chaparral, or any other retailer, will have tires in inventory with a more recent date code (especially for OE specific tires such as the BT54). I just paid $50 for a new front BT54 from an eBay retailer who is liquidating his inventory. Date code is 2114. I'm fine with that, especially for the CB.
 
White Dog_imp said:
The Metzelers came yesterday and were returned today. Revzilla sent me a rear tire with 0315 date code. I would have expected a newer tire from such a large tire dealer. Sarah, in Customer Service quickly sent me a prepaid return label and I'll get a refund once the tires arrive back to them and are processed. She also set up a new order for the same tires and is holding it until i call with my CC # after the refund is processed. She also arranged to have the replacements sent directly to them in Philly so they can see the date codes before they ship to me. Before I turned the tires over to UPS, I took a look at the date code on the front tire and was quite surprised to see 2012 and made in China. Sarah says their goal is to ship tires newer than 2 years but year 2012? Somebody dropped the ball.

If for some reason the second set of Metzelers are unacceptable, I'll order Bridgestone BT54's from Chapparel.
Receiving old "new" tires is a real bummer as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they are going to check the date codes before shipping is pretty cool. Hopefully you end up with tires that you are satisfied with when all is said and done.
 
Thread starter
I wonder if most riders are as anal about the age of tires as I am? I've replaced tires as "young" as 4 years because they were cracked and dry-rotted. Guess where the bike is stored makes a big difference.
LongRanger_imp said:
Unless they tell you otherwise, there's probably no assurance that Chaparral, or any other retailer, will have tires in inventory with a more recent date code (especially for OE specific tires such as the BT54). I just paid $50 for a new front BT54 from an eBay retailer who is liquidating his inventory. Date code is 2114. I'm fine with that, especially for the CB.
There also is a seller on ebay offering the BT54 front tire for $207.44. Oh, wait--the seller is a BMW dealer. That explains the "suggested retail cost."
 
Ok, time to fess up. My '06 Ducati Monster is basically a brand new bike (it has less than 4000 miles) and still has the original Pirelli Diablo's. The tire date codes are "2105," so yes, they're 12 years old. They're in good shape visually and the age never bothered me, until today. I just came back from a 140-mile ride on a very familiar route and they were... scary. Fine on the straights but it felt like I was riding on ice around the curves. No grip, zero confidence. They're coming off this week!
 
Thread starter
Dang! This thread might have contributed to extending your life. I'm glad my next door neighbor encouraged my Friday night to go to hospital ER. Diagnosed with blood clots in my leg and lungs. Doc told the nurse the clot in the lung area was "an ugly one." Still a patient for another 24 hours but already on blood thinners. The Doc said motorcycling started the blood clots because I was not stopping on rides often enough to get the blood circulating in my legs. She stopped short of calling me a wimp, however. <grin>
 
Whew! Good call listening to the neighbour, White Dog! Hope it is sorted quickly.

Out of interest, what were your symptoms?
 
Even put of more curiosity what do they consider a reasonable amount of time to sit before getting off. I have been sitting on motorcycle seats for hours at a time for years lol.
 
Get compression socks. I use them for plane flights after having a friend get DVT from flying

Also daily 81mg asprin, but see your doctor first


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
You think that sitting in general is the insinuation here or what the position and/or vibrational a motorcycle seat offers.? Do interstate truckers have similar medical expectations of blood clots? I'm with Cormanus on the curiosity of symptoms that caused the doctor to blame (perhaps partially) your bike riding time. I like Dr. Elipten's advise on the socks though.
f91f2f5a10c3b754566666f2934796b8.png
 
Back
Top