New Tires Choices

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
I have to get new tires for my CB1100DX summer road trip. Did all the research (again) like everyone else on this forum. So ... I am seriously thinking about the Coopers Tire & Rubber Avon Spirit ST. All the research highlights these as hidden gems of the moto world.
*
Optionally I could select new Bridgestone T-32 which is supposed to be a major improve over the T-31.
*
Any biased thoughts out there? :)
*
For background, here is what I have had before;
1. Original Equipped with Bridgestone BT54 (lasted 5,200 miles).
2. Michelin Pilot Road 3 (lasted 10,500)
3. Michelin Pilot Road 3 (replaced at 7,000 for summer trip; should have kept for after trip).
4. Pirelli Angel GT (lasted 8,500; heavily worn).
5. Bridgestone Battlax T31 (lasted 9,500 miles; front heavily cupped).
6. Michelin Pilot Road 3 (5,000 and still going; will keep for after trip).
 
I don't think I am going to get 8000 out of my Angel GT's. They are at 7,000 now and starting to look worn. Still I just ordered a set of them. They've been good tires.

Considered the T 32 even though I don't generally like BS tires, but I am hearing good things about them.

Can you still get PR3's? I thought they were discontinued? (which is why I went with the Angel GTs plus Cormanus recommended them)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I don't think I am going to get 8000 out of my Angel GT's. They are at 7,000 now and starting to look worn. Still I just ordered a set of them. They've been good tires.

Considered the T 32 even though I don't generally like BS tires, but I am hearing good things about them.

Can you still get PR3's? I thought they were discontinued? (which is why I went with the Angel GTs plus Cormanus recommended them)
Bought Sept 2019 from J&P Cycles. Then stored until needed. Alas .. no more Michelins seem to be in my CB1100's future.
 
bflint_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I don't think I am going to get 8000 out of my Angel GT's. They are at 7,000 now and starting to look worn. Still I just ordered a set of them. They've been good tires.

Considered the T 32 even though I don't generally like BS tires, but I am hearing good things about them.

Can you still get PR3's? I thought they were discontinued? (which is why I went with the Angel GTs plus Cormanus recommended them)
Bought Sept 2019 from J&P Cycles. Then stored until needed. Alas .. no more Michelins seem to be in my CB1100's future.
Bought Sept 2019 from J&P Cycles. Then stored until needed. Alas .. no more Michelins seem to be in my CB1100's future.
Smart thinking to buy and store one for future use.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't think I am going to get 8000 out of my Angel GT's. They are at 7,000 now and starting to look worn. Still I just ordered a set of them. They've been good tires.

Considered the T 32 even though I don't generally like BS tires, but I am hearing good things about them.

Can you still get PR3's? I thought they were discontinued? (which is why I went with the Angel GTs plus Cormanus recommended them)
I never use to use Bridgestone tires in the 'old' days. There was too much bad PR back then. But, I have BS on both of my CB's and the Z900RS. Different types, but the ones on the Hondas seem to be getting better mileage than the Kawasaki. The Kawi has high-speed BS, so I am guessing they have softer rubber to be sticky like they are. But, I am pleased with all 3 bikes. Had BS on the 2 bikes I just sold also.
 
bflint_imp said:
I have to get new tires for my CB1100DX summer road trip. Did all the research (again) like everyone else on this forum. So ... I am seriously thinking about the Coopers Tire & Rubber Avon Spirit ST. All the research highlights these as hidden gems of the moto world.
*
Optionally I could select new Bridgestone T-32 which is supposed to be a major improve over the T-31.
*
Any biased thoughts out there? :)
*
For background, here is what I have had before;
1. Original Equipped with Bridgestone BT54 (lasted 5,200 miles).
2. Michelin Pilot Road 3 (lasted 10,500)
3. Michelin Pilot Road 3 (replaced at 7,000 for summer trip; should have kept for after trip).
4. Pirelli Angel GT (lasted 8,500; heavily worn).
5. Bridgestone Battlax T31 (lasted 9,500 miles; front heavily cupped).
6. Michelin Pilot Road 3 (5,000 and still going; will keep for after trip).
I had the T31. Okay tires, on the dry.
I had Avon Storm 3DXM (previous generation of the Spirit ST) on my T120 and they were fantastic. That would have been my choice if I couldn't find the Dunlops I have now on the CB.
My biased view is Roadsmart 3 everyday over any of the other offerings in the original tire size. I really hope Dunlop will continue making them in 140/18 in the future.
 
My 2013 has what I'm sure are the original Battleaxes with about 9200 miles on them. The front looks like it could easily go a few thousand more miles and the rear is flat in the center, from riding in Florida, and almost to the bars. There is a Cycle Gear store about 60 miles away and I can get new Battleaxes mounted and balanced, front and rear, for about 425.00.
I don't ride very hard anymore and I can't say that I have any complaints about the Bridgestones.
 
Thread starter
STATUS:
1. Checked out Dunlop Roadsmart 3, but the rear only comes in 17in, so dismissed that one.
2. CB1100 tires sizes at all the major outlets are tough to find in stock (mostly out of stock).
3. Dennis Kirk had both Battlax T32 and Avon Spirit ST in our size. Bought Avon sizes below (hope they get here in time):
Avon Front Spirit ST 110/80ZR-18
Avon Rear Spirit ST 160/60ZR-18
*
Thanks to everyone for your experiences and thoughts.
 
bflint_imp said:
STATUS:
1. Checked out Dunlop Roadsmart 3, but the rear only comes in 17in, so dismissed that one.
2. CB1100 tires sizes at all the major outlets are tough to find in stock (mostly out of stock).
3. Dennis Kirk had both Battlax T32 and Avon Spirit ST in our size. Bought Avon sizes below (hope they get here in time):
Avon Front Spirit ST 110/80ZR-18
Avon Rear Spirit ST 160/60ZR-18
*
Thanks to everyone for your experiences and thoughts.
Let us know how you like them. Thanks for the info!
 
bflint_imp said:
STATUS:
1. Checked out Dunlop Roadsmart 3, but the rear only comes in 17in, so dismissed that one.
2. CB1100 tires sizes at all the major outlets are tough to find in stock (mostly out of stock).
3. Dennis Kirk had both Battlax T32 and Avon Spirit ST in our size. Bought Avon sizes below (hope they get here in time):
Avon Front Spirit ST 110/80ZR-18
Avon Rear Spirit ST 160/60ZR-18
*
Thanks to everyone for your experiences and thoughts.
... well it's a real shame you can't get them in 18in in the US. Bad Dunlop.
On the other hand I think the Avon's will fit the bill. I'll be looking forward to your review !
 
Stock size back tire BT45...Avon Storm 3D X-M for front, also stock size. Avon tires rock, reviews on it are great, and it was all of $105. by the way, anyone in Northern Cai want to buy slightly used Pirelli Angels GT 160/60/18 and 120/7018? Less than 1000 miles on both, they just didnt work for me the bike has wobbling issues (that might be in my head) and the stock sizes seem better. The tires look good. $100 for both you pick up. Also know a local guy who will install them ON THE BIKE for $30/each.
 
Thread starter
Just got new Avon Spirits install today.
Photo shows:
1. Front Spirit ST 110/80ZR-18 vs Michelin PR3 120/70ZR-18.
2. Rear Spirit ST 160/60ZR-18 vs Michelin PR3 160/60ZR-18.
Michelins have about 5000 miles on them, so almost new :)
Mechanic observed that the Spirits seem softer than the Michelins.
I guess by the end of July I will know that that means when the Spirits should have about 7000 miles on them.
*FRONT*

*REAR*
 
All right! Another Avon user. I've been using them for over a year now and I'm about to put on my second set. I keep telling people they're the best tire currently manufactured for our bike. My rear tire is going to get past 14000 miles before I change it.. Youre gonna love em!
 
really 14,000 miles? That's amazing mileage cause I know you don't doddle around
 
I also don't have great roads that encourage me to have more fun. That said, 13 or 14000 was about what I was getting on my Michelin pr3 rear, so the Avon was a great replacement. The Avon set I have now went on at about 27k and the bike is now approaching 41k. I already have the new set, im just using up the remaining mileage on these before the rally in September.
 
mp have you been using the Spirit's too?
 
Has anyone ever tried Bridgestones' 150/70ZR-18, Battlax Adventure A41 Radial rear tire? They have got what looks like good, deep rain removing grooves, high speed rating and claims of high mileage. Like I posted earlier, I have BS on both of my CB's, the Z900RS and the GS1100E I am also working on.
Just looking on the internet for tires, not needed yet, but tube tires are tough to find. I found a BS 150/70R-18 Battlax Adventure Cross Tourer AX41T G, tube tire for the rear. I think it is made for the Africa twin, but it does have a tube.
Crazyirv_imp said:
Stock size back tire BT45...Avon Storm 3D X-M for front, also stock size. Avon tires rock, reviews on it are great, and it was all of $105. by the way, anyone in Northern Cai want to buy slightly used Pirelli Angels GT 160/60/18 and 120/7018? Less than 1000 miles on both, they just didnt work for me the bike has wobbling issues (that might be in my head) and the stock sizes seem better. The tires look good. $100 for both you pick up. Also know a local guy who will install them ON THE BIKE for $30/each.
Think the 160 might be just a little too wide for our rims to cause the wobbling?
 
Michael, I would say no. A lot of us are running 160 rears and have no problems at all.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Has anyone ever tried Bridgestones' 150/70ZR-18, Battlax Adventure A41 Radial rear tire? They have got what looks like good, deep rain removing grooves, high speed rating and claims of high mileage. Like I posted earlier, I have BS on both of my CB's, the Z900RS and the GS1100E I am also working on.
Just looking on the internet for tires, not needed yet, but tube tires are tough to find. I found a BS 150/70R-18 Battlax Adventure Cross Tourer AX41T G, tube tire for the rear. I think it is made for the Africa twin, but it does have a tube.
Crazyirv_imp said:
Stock size back tire BT45...Avon Storm 3D X-M for front, also stock size. Avon tires rock, reviews on it are great, and it was all of $105. by the way, anyone in Northern Cai want to buy slightly used Pirelli Angels GT 160/60/18 and 120/7018? Less than 1000 miles on both, they just didnt work for me the bike has wobbling issues (that might be in my head) and the stock sizes seem better. The tires look good. $100 for both you pick up. Also know a local guy who will install them ON THE BIKE for $30/each.
Think the 160 might be just a little too wide for our rims to cause the wobbling?
I use the 150/70-R18 A41 on the rear of the Honda CRF1000 and I am really enjoying its road behaviour. So far no issue in rain and tread is still prominent after over 11000 kms. There is a tube currently, but can be used without on tubeless rims.

However, they are essentially useless offroad even though they are "Adventure" on paper. They are an onroad tire.
 
Back
Top