New Tire Prices

mikedude_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm already approaching the end of the front tires service life (BT54F) at only 2K miles and am looking to replace both tires with the Michelin Pilot Road 3s.Being on permanant disability I need to find the lowest price out there.Can anyone help me in that area? I'd really appreciate the help!
 
Front tire gone at 2000? That has got to be some kind of record.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Front tire gone at 2000? That has got to be some kind of record.
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
I'm actually the most conservative rider I know of and I check my bikes frequently for fluids and tire pressures constantly.I don't do stunts and rarely go more than 5 mph over the speed limits so I'M at a loss to explain that at almost 2k I'm getting close to the wear indicators on the front tire.I will never use Bridgestone tires again if I can avoid it.
 
I believe fronts only come with 4/32 tread( whereas rears come with twice that) and fronts look half worn out when brand new. Do you have a tread depth gauge mikedude? I believe replacement is called for at 2/32 or even with the wear bars
 
That is pretty low, even by 1980 standards. Do you ride dirt roads at all? Have me thinking your road surface is to blame.
 
Thread starter
mikedude_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Front tire gone at 2000? That has got to be some kind of record.
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
I'm actually the most conservative rider I know of and I check my bikes frequently for fluids and tire pressures constantly.I don't do stunts and rarely go more than 5 mph over the speed limits so I'M at a loss to explain that at almost 2k I'm getting close to the wear indicators on the front tire.I will never use Bridgestone tires again if I can avoid it.
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
I'm actually the most conservative rider I know of and I check my bikes frequently for fluids and tire pressures constantly.I don't do stunts and rarely go more than 5 mph over the speed limits so I'M at a loss to explain that at almost 2k I'm getting close to the wear indicators on the front tire.I will never use Bridgestone tires again if I can avoid it. I forgot to mention that my CB11 is the front wheel drive model!LOL
 
The ferret_imp said:
I believe fronts only come with 4/32 tread( whereas rears come with twice that) and fronts look half worn out when brand new. Do you have a tread depth gauge mikedude? I believe replacement is called for at 2/32 or even with the wear bars
Mine looked worned (to me) with only 3685 miles. I bought a tread depth gauge and the front tire is at 3/32 and the rear is at 6/32. If the front comes with 4/32 I will have another 3500 miles left on it (We'll see if that holds true.) This means I will be wearing out two front tires for each rear tire. The local Honda dealer does not carry the Battlax BT54. I may have to order one online.
 
Actually a little less than 3500 San Pete. As a tire loses circumference due to wear it has to make more revolutions per mile than it did when new and larger. I would expect another 2000 maybe before reaching the 2/32 point.

Its amazing when you stick a new tire next to a used tire and see how much the old one has " shrunk"
 
The ferret_imp said:
Actually a little less than 3500 San Pete. As a tire loses circumference due to wear it has to make more revolutions per mile than it did when new and larger. I would expect another 2000 maybe before reaching the 2/32 point.

Its amazing when you stick a new tire next to a used tire and see how much the old one has " shrunk"
Thank you Ferret, that makes sense. The tire built-in indicator depth is at 1/32, that should give me a few more miles before replacing. My only concern would be how the tire performs on wet pavement.
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I use Chaparral for everything I don't get at the dealer - usually the lowest prices around: Index of /
Randy B_imp said:
Thank you fellas! Chaparral has it for $99.88
 
The ferret_imp said:
I believe fronts only come with 4/32 tread( whereas rears come with twice that) and fronts look half worn out when brand new. Do you have a tread depth gauge mikedude? I believe replacement is called for at 2/32 or even with the wear bars
This. Fronts don't have nearly the rubber new the rears do. Can't compare the two. I doubt seriously the OP has worn out their front in only 2k miles.
 
Thats crazy. I would not be a happy person with 2000 mile tires. I have almost 13,000 on my dunlops and they will easily finish the riding season.
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I believe fronts only come with 4/32 tread( whereas rears come with twice that) and fronts look half worn out when brand new. Do you have a tread depth gauge mikedude? I believe replacement is called for at 2/32 or even with the wear bars
This. Fronts don't have nearly the rubber new the rears do. Can't compare the two. I doubt seriously the OP has worn out their front in only 2k miles.
This. Fronts don't have nearly the rubber new the rears do. Can't compare the two. I doubt seriously the OP has worn out their front in only 2k miles. I'm not a noob!
After almost 200,000 miles (17 years) on motorcycles I would like to think that I have learned how to read wear on tires.I asked for help with new tires,not members opinion on anything else.Treat me the same way that you want to be treated and I'll do the same.
 
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

I don't believe anyone is jumping on you, just making clear the idiosyncrasies with these tires. In my experience I have always worn out the rear first, but not with this bike (with the factory tires anyway). I got 9000 on the front and 15000 on the rear, but I probably could have gotten another 1000 out of the rear, but I don't like to push it.
 
mikedude_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Front tire gone at 2000? That has got to be some kind of record.
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
I'm actually the most conservative rider I know of and I check my bikes frequently for fluids and tire pressures constantly.I don't do stunts and rarely go more than 5 mph over the speed limits so I'M at a loss to explain that at almost 2k I'm getting close to the wear indicators on the front tire.I will never use Bridgestone tires again if I can avoid it.
Maybe doing front brake wheelies?
I'm actually the most conservative rider I know of and I check my bikes frequently for fluids and tire pressures constantly.I don't do stunts and rarely go more than 5 mph over the speed limits so I'M at a loss to explain that at almost 2k I'm getting close to the wear indicators on the front tire.I will never use Bridgestone tires again if I can avoid it.
I've used BT45s and now run Michelin RP3s. I got about 14000kms out of the Bridgies and it sounds as though I push it harder than you. Mate, check front wheel runout. With that amount of wear in that mileage and your style of riding, somethings wrong. Maybe check front wheel runout. Although that should be, at least initially, be detectable through the bars. If there is a problem you don't want to stuff the new Michelins.

Cheers
 
Back
Top