New RF-1200 and Roland Sands Dezel Gloves

JPX_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Thought I'd show off my latest gear purchases. I decided to get the RF-1200 as my RF-1000 was about 6 or 7 years old and needed to be replaced. Extremely comfortable, very light, good aerodynamics, fairly small compared to most other helmets that I tried on (my noggin requires an XXL).
The gloves were somewhat expensive for not having any knuckle armor, but dang what a gorgeous set of gloves they are I must say. :D

Shoei RF-1200 Anthracite w/ Mellow Smoke Shield and Roland Sands Dezel Gloves



[url=http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/jasonxerri/media/Gloves%20and%20Helmet_zpsusd5xlba.jpg.html]
 
Hey I posted to this last night but it's not here? Weird.

Beautiful helmet and I agree with Guth. Wild looking gloves.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
I love Shoei, but wish the 1200 had an internal shield.....jury out on the gloves:-)
I'm all for internal shields and my 3/4 helmet has one, but I really like the fact that the helmet is smaller without one. The internal shield takes up extra room in the shell and makes for a larger helmet, and when you have to buy XXL helmets the size of them can get rather comical. I almost always wear sunglasses and use darker tinted shields so I don't really miss having one on this helmet.
 
Thread starter
jsinher3_imp said:
I was looking into those gloves, but ended up with the ronin, how do like them?
I looked at the Ronin as well and considered them my second option.

I took the the Dezel's out for the first time this weekend. I really love the look of them and think they fit the vintage styling of the CB1100. One negative that I mentioned before is that there's not very much protection built into them, and it was apparent when I was riding around. I'm so used to wearing carbon fiber knuckled gloves that my hands felt very exposed but that feeling will likely wear off eventually.

One of my issues is that I'm between sizes; the large was too tight and the x-large is slightly larger than I would like. That's probably my only gripe but it's not the fault of the gloves.
 
JPX_imp said:
jsinher3_imp said:
I was looking into those gloves, but ended up with the ronin, how do like them?
I looked at the Ronin as well and considered them my second option.

I took the the Dezel's out for the first time this weekend. I really love the look of them and think they fit the vintage styling of the CB1100. One negative that I mentioned before is that there's not very much protection built into them, and it was apparent when I was riding around. I'm so used to wearing carbon fiber knuckled gloves that my hands felt very exposed but that feeling will likely wear off eventually.

One of my issues is that I'm between sizes; the large was too tight and the x-large is slightly larger than I would like. That's probably my only gripe but it's not the fault of the gloves.
I looked at the Ronin as well and considered them my second option.

I took the the Dezel's out for the first time this weekend. I really love the look of them and think they fit the vintage styling of the CB1100. One negative that I mentioned before is that there's not very much protection built into them, and it was apparent when I was riding around. I'm so used to wearing carbon fiber knuckled gloves that my hands felt very exposed but that feeling will likely wear off eventually.

One of my issues is that I'm between sizes; the large was too tight and the x-large is slightly larger than I would like. That's probably my only gripe but it's not the fault of the gloves.
yup the ronins are like that too, however I don't mind them not having the knuckle guards, I think it's more important that the palms be padded and protected since most the time that's what's making contact with ground when you do take a spill. I might pick a pair of these up later my ronins are a bit beat up. btw I got the same helmet in white, do you plan on getting the photochromic lens when they release it?
 
Thread starter
Hmm, I didn't even know they were planning on releasing photochromic shields. I just did a search and it says they are in customs and about to go out to shops. If I had known a few weeks ago, I probably would have held off on the smoke shield.
 
Thread starter
Just a bit of an update. The gloves are heading back today to Revzilla today because the stitching on one of the knuckle pads is already coming undone after only 5 or 6 rides. Disappointing to say the least for a $100 pair of gloves.

I'll be picking up a pair of Dainese Blackjack's instead as I've always had good luck with the quality of their gear. http://www.dainese.com/us_en/blackjack.html
 
Yea, that's not good. A good pair of gloves should last at least 10 years, not 6 rides.
 
I've worn my share of cheap helmets in the past. The AFX was ill fitting and noisy. I had an HJC Dieter Def design. It was pretty good. Then I found a screamin' deal on a Shoei RF-1200 lid with "cruiser" graphics. Wow! I didn't know how much better a quality helmet could be. With all the vents open, it's a bit noisy. But airflow is really good, and I ride with earplugs if I'm leaving the city, anyway. I ordered thinner cheek pads, and now the helmet fits like a glove ;)

The biggest improvement is in aerodynamics. There must have been a lot of wind tunnel testing. At 80 mph, there's little buffeting. Peripheral vision seems wider than I'm used to. Plus, the black and silver graphics seem to match my black bike really well. Shoei also makes a red one. :cool:

 
HikerToo_imp said:
I love Shoei, but wish the 1200 had an internal shield.....jury out on the gloves:-)
GT-Air, great lid, internal tinted visor. RF-1200 is a sporty helmet, needs to be Snell certified for racing. Internal-shield types cannot meet Snell standards.

Took me quite a while to get used to that internal visor but it's great after that. Don't need multiple shields or different glasses.

New X-Fourteen is a fantastic helmet.
Roper_imp said:
I've worn my share of cheap helmets in the past. The AFX was ill fitting and noisy. I had an HJC Dieter Def design. It was pretty good. Then I found a screamin' deal on a Shoei RF-1200 lid with "cruiser" graphics. Wow! I didn't know how much better a quality helmet could be. With all the vents open, it's a bit noisy. But airflow is really good, and I ride with earplugs if I'm leaving the city, anyway. I ordered thinner cheek pads, and now the helmet fits like a glove ;)

The biggest improvement is in aerodynamics. There must have been a lot of wind tunnel testing. At 80 mph, there's little buffeting. Peripheral vision seems wider than I'm used to. Plus, the black and silver graphics seem to match my black bike really well. Shoei also makes a red one. :cool:
Well now you are hooked on Shoei. If you like that you will be very impressed with the X-Fourteen, huge amount of research done on air flow and turbulence and it shows in the wearing. Very quiet, very little in-helmet draft or wind swirl.
 
Roper_imp said:
I've worn my share of cheap helmets in the past. The AFX was ill fitting and noisy. I had an HJC Dieter Def design. It was pretty good. Then I found a screamin' deal on a Shoei RF-1200 lid with "cruiser" graphics. Wow! I didn't know how much better a quality helmet could be. With all the vents open, it's a bit noisy. But airflow is really good, and I ride with earplugs if I'm leaving the city, anyway. I ordered thinner cheek pads, and now the helmet fits like a glove ;)

The biggest improvement is in aerodynamics. There must have been a lot of wind tunnel testing. At 80 mph, there's little buffeting. Peripheral vision seems wider than I'm used to. Plus, the black and silver graphics seem to match my black bike really well. Shoei also makes a red one. :cool:
That's a really cool graphic. First I've ever seen anything like that from them.
 
I've worn nothing but Shoei since the early '80s. Love the quality, and the fit is perfect for me.
How do you like the venting? I was under the impression that the RF-1200, like the RF-1100 before it, is technically more of a sporty/sportbike helmet, where the venting is designed to be optimal in a leaning-forward position, like with the low bars and aggressive stance on a sportbike. As well as my RF-1100s worked on the Ducati and Triumph cafe racer, I could tell a big difference in how they worked on the much more upright position of the CB1100. I ended up with a Qwest and a Neo-Tec, which work great on the CB.
 
Back
Top