New owner... Vibrations.. And a question

lazz_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi everyone,

recently bought a CB1100EX 6speed that had just been run in.

I really like the bike in all respects and it seems perfect for my needs.

Except, on my bike, the constant vibrations/buzz in the midrange (from 3K to 5K) are intensely intrusive. To the extent that on a recent 3 hour run, my hands and feet were buzzing for several hours afterwards. I was wearing full riding gear.

I have been riding for 20 years, everything form old brits to racing ducatis with many guzzis in between and a fair few inline 4s. My daily round town ride up until now has been a 1970 Triumph twin and that causes me no problems in terms of vibration! (I mean the thumping vibration is there, but it is transient, unlike the constant buzz on my new honda) Heck, I've been using a 1960s guzzi police bike for the past 4 years for my long distance work.... So I don't believe I'm overly sensitive to vibrations.

I use a motorcycle as my primary mode of transport and ride far and often.

There are a few others who have complained about vibration on this forum and many who haven't, what I'm trying to figure out is whether my particular bike has a fault or if this is just a characteristic of the model.

Do you all just keep the revs under 3k?

Does anybody out there have a bike that is smooth between 3K and 5K?

Any info/data points gratefully appreciated

Ride safe,

:thanks:
 
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
 
Hey lazz, congratulations on your acquired CB1100 and welcome to the Forum.

An additional workaround is "Grip Puppies". Get the original brand.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies and the welcome guys :hello: back at ya

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Yep that is precisely where I'm running it on the highways. the bike is beautifully stable right up to 100mph plus and I see no reason why cruising at 80-90 mph should be a problem with an 1100cc motor....?

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Thanks for the info, that definitely answers my first question

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Like if you wanted to get above 4500 in third (where the torque, throttle response and engine braking are strongest) you would short shift up to forth or fifth and then come back down the box?

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Yep, I'm familiar with the the inherent buzz of I4s, I have just never experienced it being quite so nasty and over such a wide band of power...
 
Hmm. Maybe it's still breaking in? I spend most of my time between 3500 and 5000 rpm. Vibration is there but not to the point of causing discomfort. I do like getting above 5000 and noticing vibration drop off, but during those times there's a lot happening so I'm not focusing too much on vibration.
I'd do an oil change, since you're new to the bike.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey lazz, congratulations on your acquired CB1100 and welcome to the Forum.

An additional workaround is "Grip Puppies". Get the original brand.
I already tried!!

the grips didn't make any significant difference (I'm not squeezing tight either), 3.5 -5K is just unusable for any length of time...

And everything else about this bike is absolutely perfect for me...
Scotty_imp said:
Hmm. Maybe it's still breaking in? I spend most of my time between 3500 and 5000 rpm. Vibration is there but not to the point of causing discomfort. I do like getting above 5000 and noticing vibration drop off, but during those times there's a lot happening so I'm not focusing too much on vibration.
I'd do an oil change, since you're new to the bike.
Thanks Scotty, Oils have been changed...

I wonder though if you could tell me a little more about how long these motors take to fully break in? Do they keep smoothing out for a thousand miles or more/less?
 
Mine wasn’t totally smoothed out until 2500-3500 miles. Just kept getting better and better then been the same since.
 
lazz_imp said:
Thanks for the replies and the welcome guys :hello: back at ya

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Yep that is precisely where I'm running it on the highways. the bike is beautifully stable right up to 100mph plus and I see no reason why cruising at 80-90 mph should be a problem with an 1100cc motor....?

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Thanks for the info, that definitely answers my first question

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Like if you wanted to get above 4500 in third (where the torque, throttle response and engine braking are strongest) you would short shift up to forth or fifth and then come back down the box?

The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy lazz and welcome to the forum

Upshift. Your ex is a 6 speed. or are you running really fast? 3500-4000 rpms in 6th would be 75 - 90 mph

A lot of us run around on this thing at 2500-3500 rpms

You could also downshift and get above 4500 rpms where it smooths out again

inline 4's do have an inherent buzz in the 4000-4500 range so work your gearbox around that range
Yep, I'm familiar with the the inherent buzz of I4s, I have just never experienced it being quite so nasty and over such a wide band of power...
My experience band was not that wide; maybe a few hundred RPM around the 4000 mark. Nevertheless, it was there.

Maybe your VIN was started on a Friday and finished on a Monday?
 
I have a vibration issue as well and added Grip Puppies. They helped a bit, but not enough. I was actually looking at heavier bar ends as it was suggested in a thread here from years ago but I never saw a follow up post to see if they worked to reduce vibrations at the grips or not. These are what were suggested…

https://www.hvmp.com/ProductDetails.asp?...s&CartID=1
 
Are any engine bars fitted correctly? SW-Motech bars on Africa Twins used to cause bad vibration when wrongly self-fitted by a lot of owners, it was only a small mistake (bad fitting diagrams) but it made a very big difference.
 
lazz_imp said:
Hi everyone,

recently bought a CB1100EX 6speed that had just been run in.

I really like the bike in all respects and it seems perfect for my needs.

Except, on my bike, the constant vibrations/buzz in the midrange (from 3K to 5K) are intensely intrusive. To the extent that on a recent 3 hour run, my hands and feet were buzzing for several hours afterwards. I was wearing full riding gear.

I have been riding for 20 years, everything form old brits to racing ducatis with many guzzis in between and a fair few inline 4s. My daily round town ride up until now has been a 1970 Triumph twin and that causes me no problems in terms of vibration! (I mean the thumping vibration is there, but it is transient, unlike the constant buzz on my new honda) Heck, I've been using a 1960s guzzi police bike for the past 4 years for my long distance work.... So I don't believe I'm overly sensitive to vibrations.

I use a motorcycle as my primary mode of transport and ride far and often.

There are a few others who have complained about vibration on this forum and many who haven't, what I'm trying to figure out is whether my particular bike has a fault or if this is just a characteristic of the model.

Do you all just keep the revs under 3k?

Does anybody out there have a bike that is smooth between 3K and 5K?

Any info/data points gratefully appreciated

Ride safe,

:thanks:

Probably not related, but I bought my bike brand new, and it had a strange vibration (not a buzz: a vibration). The cause was a bad set of tyres: both from and rear were out of round.

Make sure that your problem it's not speed related, but rpm related to rule this out.
 
Thread starter
Really appreciate all the replies

pekingduck_imp said:
Are the original handlebars, bar end weights, and mirrors still on it?
Any modifications?

Nope totally stock... The bar end weights are properly attached

(I checked after the screw holding the right bar end weight backed itself out on a ride!)
Tev62_imp said:
Are any engine bars fitted correctly? SW-Motech bars on Africa Twins used to cause bad vibration when wrongly self-fitted by a lot of owners, it was only a small mistake (bad fitting diagrams) but it made a very big difference.
No engine bars, all the mounting points seem secure
jtopiso_imp said:
lazz_imp said:
Hi everyone,

recently bought a CB1100EX 6speed that had just been run in.

I really like the bike in all respects and it seems perfect for my needs.

Except, on my bike, the constant vibrations/buzz in the midrange (from 3K to 5K) are intensely intrusive. To the extent that on a recent 3 hour run, my hands and feet were buzzing for several hours afterwards. I was wearing full riding gear.

I have been riding for 20 years, everything form old brits to racing ducatis with many guzzis in between and a fair few inline 4s. My daily round town ride up until now has been a 1970 Triumph twin and that causes me no problems in terms of vibration! (I mean the thumping vibration is there, but it is transient, unlike the constant buzz on my new honda) Heck, I've been using a 1960s guzzi police bike for the past 4 years for my long distance work.... So I don't believe I'm overly sensitive to vibrations.

I use a motorcycle as my primary mode of transport and ride far and often.

There are a few others who have complained about vibration on this forum and many who haven't, what I'm trying to figure out is whether my particular bike has a fault or if this is just a characteristic of the model.

Do you all just keep the revs under 3k?

Does anybody out there have a bike that is smooth between 3K and 5K?

Any info/data points gratefully appreciated

Ride safe,

:thanks:

Probably not related, but I bought my bike brand new, and it had a strange vibration (not a buzz: a vibration). The cause was a bad set of tyres: both from and rear were out of round.

Make sure that your problem it's not speed related, but rpm related to rule this out.

Probably not related, but I bought my bike brand new, and it had a strange vibration (not a buzz: a vibration). The cause was a bad set of tyres: both from and rear were out of round.

Make sure that your problem it's not speed related, but rpm related to rule this out.
yes, it's rpm related
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mine wasn’t totally smoothed out until 2500-3500 miles. Just kept getting better and better then been the same since.
this info gives me hope!!!
Whoops_imp said:
I have a vibration issue as well and added Grip Puppies. They helped a bit, but not enough. I was actually looking at heavier bar ends as it was suggested in a thread here from years ago but I never saw a follow up post to see if they worked to reduce vibrations at the grips or not. These are what were suggested…

https://www.hvmp.com/ProductDetails.asp?...s&CartID=1

I have these on order...

I also wanted to say that the stock Honda bars and the anti-vibration weights are of a very impressive quality
 
Yes mine vibrates like he** and in exactly the same range too. Only 1300 miles on the clock. More alarmingly I have just checked and the chain has stretched so much in that time that the rear wheel will have to be set back, check yours too.
 
lazz_imp said:
Really appreciate all the replies

pekingduck_imp said:
Are the original handlebars, bar end weights, and mirrors still on it?
Any modifications?

Nope totally stock... The bar end weights are properly attached

(I checked after the screw holding the right bar end weight backed itself out on a ride!)
Tev62_imp said:
Are any engine bars fitted correctly? SW-Motech bars on Africa Twins used to cause bad vibration when wrongly self-fitted by a lot of owners, it was only a small mistake (bad fitting diagrams) but it made a very big difference.
No engine bars, all the mounting points seem secure
jtopiso_imp said:
lazz_imp said:
Hi everyone,

recently bought a CB1100EX 6speed that had just been run in.

I really like the bike in all respects and it seems perfect for my needs.

Except, on my bike, the constant vibrations/buzz in the midrange (from 3K to 5K) are intensely intrusive. To the extent that on a recent 3 hour run, my hands and feet were buzzing for several hours afterwards. I was wearing full riding gear.

I have been riding for 20 years, everything form old brits to racing ducatis with many guzzis in between and a fair few inline 4s. My daily round town ride up until now has been a 1970 Triumph twin and that causes me no problems in terms of vibration! (I mean the thumping vibration is there, but it is transient, unlike the constant buzz on my new honda) Heck, I've been using a 1960s guzzi police bike for the past 4 years for my long distance work.... So I don't believe I'm overly sensitive to vibrations.

I use a motorcycle as my primary mode of transport and ride far and often.

There are a few others who have complained about vibration on this forum and many who haven't, what I'm trying to figure out is whether my particular bike has a fault or if this is just a characteristic of the model.

Do you all just keep the revs under 3k?

Does anybody out there have a bike that is smooth between 3K and 5K?

Any info/data points gratefully appreciated

Ride safe,

:thanks:

Probably not related, but I bought my bike brand new, and it had a strange vibration (not a buzz: a vibration). The cause was a bad set of tyres: both from and rear were out of round.

Make sure that your problem it's not speed related, but rpm related to rule this out.

Probably not related, but I bought my bike brand new, and it had a strange vibration (not a buzz: a vibration). The cause was a bad set of tyres: both from and rear were out of round.

Make sure that your problem it's not speed related, but rpm related to rule this out.
yes, it's rpm related
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mine wasn’t totally smoothed out until 2500-3500 miles. Just kept getting better and better then been the same since.
this info gives me hope!!!
Whoops_imp said:
I have a vibration issue as well and added Grip Puppies. They helped a bit, but not enough. I was actually looking at heavier bar ends as it was suggested in a thread here from years ago but I never saw a follow up post to see if they worked to reduce vibrations at the grips or not. These are what were suggested…

https://www.hvmp.com/ProductDetails.asp?...s&CartID=1

I have these on order...

I also wanted to say that the stock Honda bars and the anti-vibration weights are of a very impressive quality

I have these on order...

I also wanted to say that the stock Honda bars and the anti-vibration weights are of a very impressive quality
Excellent! Please reply back when you get them installed and tested. I would love to know what they do for you.
 
Thread starter
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
Yes mine vibrates like he** and in exactly the same range too. Only 1300 miles on the clock. More alarmingly I have just checked and the chain has stretched so much in that time that the rear wheel will have to be set back, check yours too.
Very interesting...

Lets share notes?

Did you get yours new? Or low mileage used?

Will get to checking my chain tonight
 
lazz_imp said:
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
Yes mine vibrates like he** and in exactly the same range too. Only 1300 miles on the clock. More alarmingly I have just checked and the chain has stretched so much in that time that the rear wheel will have to be set back, check yours too.
Very interesting...

Lets share notes?

Did you get yours new? Or low mileage used?

Will get to checking my chain tonight
Very interesting...

Lets share notes?

Did you get yours new? Or low mileage used?

Will get to checking my chain tonight

New last October. Still love it tho!
 
Thread starter
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
lazz_imp said:
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
Yes mine vibrates like he** and in exactly the same range too. Only 1300 miles on the clock. More alarmingly I have just checked and the chain has stretched so much in that time that the rear wheel will have to be set back, check yours too.
Very interesting...

Lets share notes?

Did you get yours new? Or low mileage used?

Will get to checking my chain tonight
Very interesting...

Lets share notes?

Did you get yours new? Or low mileage used?

Will get to checking my chain tonight

New last October. Still love it tho!
Glad to hear that,

it shouldn't vibrate like h--- though. Mine certainly vibrates very much more than any modern bike should. Even in the 'sweet spot' it's not super smooth.

Today I rode a half hour through country lanes, a roads and b roads, I kept the revs below 3k mostly (sometimes overtaking is desirable for example)

I felt quite disappointed to have a new motorbike that is built and designed so beautifully, that fits me so well, but that only gives me a comfortably usable powerband of a couple of thousand rpm



I wonder if there could have been a dodgy batch in the uk? Mine's a 19 plate that I bought used at very low mileage from a UK honda dealer.

On the off-chance that 2 of us have the same fault on bikes of similar engine numbers the dealer might not be so dismissive?
 
The design shouldn't be outrageously rough. I'd say like Popgun and consider giving it a another 3000 to 5000 kms. If still there, then my guess is something mounted is still fundamentally not provisioned properly.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
The design shouldn't be outrageously rough. I'd say like Popgun and consider giving it a another 3000 to 5000 kms. If still there, then my guess is something mounted is still fundamentally not provisioned properly.
thanks

forgot to mention... one of the screws holding the bar end weights vibrated clean off on one of my previous runs... It just doesn't seem very honda like to me...
 
Back
Top