New (middle weight) bike suggestions?

4 Paws_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Sold my trusty CB1100, a bit reluctantly, but I did.
Looking to replace it with a middleweight bike, ideally under 500 lbs and under 1,000 cc's. Everyday pavement only solo rider for country roads and possible long distance when the sidecar rig just won't do it - like the mountains out west and good old W VA ,my next door neighbor. Sidecar fun but too much work for multiple days riding the mountains.
Tired of the "Adventure Bike" craze with the pointed beaks, though the ergonomics are comfortable. Weight, seat height, moderate power are my primary criteria. Numerous used BMW 1200's, FJR's, K14's around but I want lighter weight and mass, I'm not getting any younger. BMW 1000? Too much for me.
Don't want an exotic, I live too far from a big city to easily get parts and service so no Italians or Austrians.
Thought the Yamaha Tracer 900 would fit the bill perfectly, then I checked them out in person. What can I say, the Honda and its' "fit and finish" spoiled me. Sorry Tracer.
Triumph 900 Tiger and its triple engine are nice, good fit and finish, all the bells and whistles (and then some) but the beak!. Does give good weather protection. Nice rider but pricey.
BMW 900? Its' a contender. Really fell in love with the looks of the BMW F800GT, apparently 5-7 years too late. Honda 800 with its water cooled V4 is to drool over but riding position a bit aggressive. Several Honda 1200's available at amazing price but the weights a killer for me.
Any suggestions? New or used.
This forum is blessed with experienced knowledgable riders without an attitude.
 
My son had a Suzuki M 50 nice seat height , fairly light weight . It got sold now I wished I had kept it . Mid controls , so easy on the hips and knees.Just my 2 cents.
 
Thread starter
Hadn't considered the CB650, thought it was a sport bike - will check it out.
Looked at the NC750X and was tempted based upon reviews and forum feedback by owners. Quite a basic bike. Leftover 2018 models, brand new, very attractively priced. Seems very similar to my CB500X, not entirely a bad thing.

At this point in my life I'm valuing creature comforts (heated grips, possibly seat too, wind protection, ....) more and more.

Will look into the Suzuki, need to expand my horizons - trapped by what i don't know.
Edit - looked at Suzuki. Just not a cruiser type person. Thank you for the suggestion.
 
My son's FIL's NC750 with Givi handguards and Oxford heated grips

bab66bf65a0dde857232974d41f9d664.jpg


me on my nephews NC 700 in the Serra Nevada Mountains

8772dc2facb92d0afde26af4387b0eb3.jpg


Nice bikes, not real powerful (the 650 would have a lot more power), but maybe 20 more horses than your 500X, low revers, very torquey, great gas mileage
 
You can find clean, low mileage F800GT’s for $6000-$7000. Your rationale for what you’re looking for is exactly why I bought mine. With the factory hard bags and top case, it’s very capable for long trips, and with 90 HP and 450 lb wet weight, it’s a very easy handling bike with plenty of performance. And yes — heated grips, traction control, ABS, electronic rear suspension adjustment, tire pressure monitors, belt drive, center stand, five different factory seat height options — all standard.

f6b4ff597de980e239966a0daf63b629.jpg


620ceb54a8705354c06fee08a3c75406.jpg
 
Thread starter
F800 is gorgeous and what I’m leaning towards right now. Used one near me I plan to test ride. Located several candidates worth checking out but are 2 - 400 miles away. Did one fly and ride in the past but today not to keen on the idea.

Mickey - would you ride the NC750 on a longer trip, no interstates to speak of?
 
I have ridden 2 different F800's. One I thought vibrated a lot. Didn't notice it on the other one., but no doubt they are very nice bikes. Well equipped. I think some of the twin motors were Austrian made and some in Thailand IIRC, made depending on year. Maybe later ones got an extra counter balancer? For me there was no BMW dealer close. Also seems to me the handle bars were pretty low. The new 900 versions are chain drive I believe.

Would I ride an NC 750 on a trip? Sure. It runs very low revs at highway speed. The fellow that owns the blue one used to ride an ST 1300 but he wanted something lighter hand traded it in on the NC 750. We take a yearly trip together and he will be riding his on this years trip to Tenn/N Carolina in October if the Covid thing calms down. My nephew will be riding his NC500X on the same trip. We rarely exceed 70 mph even on the expressway. Both bikes are easily capable of running those speeds.
 
Top 5 reason I hate my NC 750X lol

 
I forgot about the SV 650. Great bike.
 
To Ferret’s point, all F800GT engines were made in Austria by Rotax but the bikes were assembled at the BMW factory in Spandau, Germany (Berlin). The F850 and F900 engines are made in China by Loncin but the bikes are assembled in Berlin. All F800-series engines have counter-balancers, but they’re twins, not fours, so they do vibrate more than a Japanese four (mostly at higher revs — 80+ mph).

The F850GS that I rode in the Alps last summer felt stronger and smoother than my F800GT. I really liked it. I’ve not ridden an F900 yet but BMW is not offering belt drive on these models and I think the styling is a bit weird. I’m not sure where stories of poor reliability come from - there’s nothing inherently unreliable about these bikes. My 2013 has only been to the shop once in the seven years that I’ve owned it, and that was to change the brake fluid.
 
I know the aesthetics of a motorcycle are important—it's one of the reasons I love my CB1100—but so too are comfort and practicality. I've done a bit of touring on the CB1100. If anything happened to it, I'd think very seriously about an ADV bike in spite of the fact that many look decidedly unattractive to my eye. They just seem so darned practical.
 
If you ever want to know the issues of a particular model motorcycle, just google

"Issues with Honda -----" or" known issues with BMW ----------"
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I know the aesthetics of a motorcycle are important—it's one of the reasons I love my CB1100—but so too are comfort and practicality. I've done a bit of touring on the CB1100. If anything happened to it, I'd think very seriously about an ADV bike in spite of the fact that many look decidedly unattractive to my eye. They just seem so darned practical.
It's funny...the more adventures you undertake on an ADV bike the more beautiful the bike looks.
 
Back
Top