New Lid

I have a white Shark with an internal IS shield. I didn't think it would make much difference as I wear transition lenses, but I've got to like it a lot. A really good feature.

Nice helmet, Ferret. How many's that?
 
Thread starter
It's number 11 Cormanus.. 10 HJC's and one Bell. It would be 11 HJC's but a nephew wanted my latest HJC 3/4 so I swapped him for a Bell open face he just bought but didn't care for. Truth be told I don't care much for the Bell either lol
 
A few years ago I bought a Bell open-face and didn't care for it either.
I wore it a few times then bought an HJC open-face (3/4) as I should have done in the first place.
I sold it at a swap meet and the new owner loves it, so there you go. Everyone is happy :D.
 
I really wanted a Bell modular, but they just don't suit my head. Or should that be the other way around?
 
Thread starter
Well after todays ride the helmet is going back. This thing rattles like crazy Drove me nuts. Sounded like the IS components inside the helmet were getting blown around in the wind. Reminded me of mice in the attic. Made it 15 miles, turned around came back home and got out another helmet (an HJC IS full face) Don't know if it is just this helmet because my IS full face made zero noise on the remainder of the ride.

Rocky does yours rattle? Between 25 and 45 it was just annoying as all get out..... rattle rattle rattle rattle

Disappointing
 
No rattles at all. Very strange. Maybe you just got a bad one.
I've had mine since 2009 and it has given great service.
Wow, the years sure fly by!
It's a little noisy, but I always wear ear plugs anyway.
 
Thread starter
Ok thanks Rocky. Like I said my other HJC IS full face doesn't rattle. So this particular helmet may have an issue.
 
Mickey, have you tried removing the tinted shield and re-installing it? I had a similar issue with a Nolan modular that was fixed by this.
 
Thread starter
No I haven't messed with it. Called the dealer and told him. He said bring it back. Internet search revealed others have experienced the same thing. Some think it's the IS mechanism, some thinks it's a loose fitting door on the forehead air vents.
 
I have been considering a modular, but have previously ruled them out due to not being Snell rated. I've come off that sentiment after reading various things about DOT, ECE, and Snell ratings. I have a Scorpion that isn't Snell approved, but is ECE approved. It has the internal drop down visor like Ferret's new lid and I have come to find that feature quite indispensable. My Scorpion is kind of noisy, so I have been considering an upgrade. I really like the Shoei GT Air, but being able to open up the entire front of the helmet when I stop at a light on a 100 degree day might be nice.

The rattling comments will make me hold off on looking hard at this model, but if there is a quiet modular with internal visor out there, I'll have to consider it
 
I recently bought a Shoei Neotec modular, it came with a great drop down internal visor that almost covers the entire opening. Doesn't rattle but can be a bugger to latch down (I'm talking about the face of the helmet, not the visor. It is a comfortable but pricy lid. I just wish a HJC would've fit.
 
I have a Schuberth C3 Pro modular very quiet, and just ordered a Shoei Neotech. I wanted the Shoei GT but I will need new glasses with different frames to use it or I will bend up the frames. I will let you know how the two modulars compare.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have a Schuberth C3 PRO mod and a Shoei Neotech mod. There is not much between them noise or comfort wise. Both have pinlock and a slide down sun shield.
I prefer the vent sliders on the Neotech because they are easier to use gloved up.
For long trips I have a Shoei GT AIR, quiet and all day comfortable.
 
For comfort, my Nolan is my daily choice with my Scorpion a close second. Both are full face.
What seems like a small detail but one that I like a lot, is that with the Scorpion you are able to notch the shield open a slight bit and it stays there when you need some extra fresh air or to defog.
 
I've worn my hjc for two days straight, about 16 hours and it was super comfortable, quiet and the sun shield was the perfect visor for today's bright sunny day out on the riding course. It say'd cool both to the touch and I actually kept it on to keep my nogging from getting baked in the sun evenn during breaks between lessons. No rattles. the sun visor stays down and is easy too deploy and retract with gloves. I'm happy with it. Very much so.
 
I'm an Arai guy, but my wife has an HJC with the internal shade. Pretty slick. Too bad about the rattling. If you can hear it over the wind of these bikes that's pretty bad. That helmet had the speed racer look
 
Back
Top