new guy question

gossman_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I rode the CB bikes in the mid 70s to the mid 80s, last was a CB650 bought off the dealer floor. Went through the adventure bike phase and in the last decade went to the cruiser bikes. Never a favorite of mine, I always pined for another CB. Well I am looking at a dealer where they have a '13 CB 1100 ABS demo on the floor. Clean, 9k miles, new BattleAxe tires, 1 year Honda warranty. $7999 out the door. Wouldn't know that the bike was a Honda demo at all by looking at it. I've been on the '14 model and the suburban and back roads I drive wouldn't make the 6speed tranny a must, especially since my recent bike was a 5 speed. I'm just a 55 year old fat guy reliving my earlier days. So, what's the overall opinion on this suggested ride?
 
gossman_imp said:
I rode the CB bikes in the mid 70s to the mid 80s, last was a CB650 bought off the dealer floor. Went through the adventure bike phase and in the last decade went to the cruiser bikes. Never a favorite of mine, I always pined for another CB. Well I am looking at a dealer where they have a '13 CB 1100 ABS demo on the floor. Clean, 9k miles, new BattleAxe tires, 1 year Honda warranty. $7999 out the door. Wouldn't know that the bike was a Honda demo at all by looking at it. I've been on the '14 model and the suburban and back roads I drive wouldn't make the 6speed tranny a must, especially since my recent bike was a 5 speed. I'm just a 55 year old fat guy reliving my earlier days. So, what's the overall opinion on this suggested ride?
Well, I dont have an 1100 but Im going to comment anyway. The CB1100 is a heck of a motorcycle imo. The price is too high. I dont know where you are located but in Union City TN you can buy a 13 brand new for 7600. Trust me, I have been temped. In fact, new 13's can be had for under 8K all day long if you search.

By the way, I had a 80 CB650 custom as well. Took everything I could throw at it as a teenager/young man. Saw the redline everyday. lol Oh, how foolish I was back then.
You are making a good choice but you need to shop a little before you plunk down the money. Where are you at Gossman?
 
Hi Gossmsn, welcome to the forum. My opinion is that's too much for a bike with 9k on it. I think some guys on here got there's as new leftovers for about that price. If you look around and don't mind driving a little further you may find a leftover for not much more money. Also if it really was a demo it may not have had the best treatment.
 
Thread starter
I'm located outside of Portland about 25 miles. Thanks for the quick responses, I've seen some for less, is ABS standard on the '13?
 
gossman_imp said:
I'm located outside of Portland about 25 miles. Thanks for the quick responses, I've seen some for less, is ABS standard on the '13?
No. Not on the 13s but it was available. Not sure on the upcharge for that. I think Guth the forum owner is in your area and he may be able to help you with prices ect in your area. Also, check cycle trader. 9K is way high imo for a used 13. Good luck. Also, check craigs list ect... Take your time and do a little homework and you will save thousands.
 
I think he said $8k out the door. Definitely do some searches, but it seems like it's within spitting range of a good price for a 13 with ABS with a warranty, even with 9,000 miles. And the up charge for ABS was considerable. I want to say $1000, but it was enough to make me "settle" for non-abs
 
13 ABS is rare, and was $1,000 more so base was $11,000. So maybe a bit high considering the miles. If the price includes all taxes and fees maybe it is okay.
 
ABS was 1K more, but don't expect to get that full 1K back on a used model,IMO.
Was their $7999 price as a result of you just asking, or was it after haggling? I'd think more like $7,000-$7,500 for one with that mileage. Also, was the 8,000 mile service done? How worn are the brakes? And read that warranty closely.
 
Thread starter
That's there listed price and we are haggling. I brought up the wear of parts in my last discussion. I'll be there later today to pick up my mc from the service department, I'll probably stop by the floor and talk a little more. I'm in no hurry.
 
Good. Tell them you're a serious buyer and tell them you'll be spending the next couple of days visiting other dealers that have CBs and you'll be buying one. Say- "Sorry we couldn't make this work, we are not that far apart." and head toward the door. It worked for me at my "No haggle pricing, everyone pays the same price" dealer. But at that time we were only about $200 apart and I was adamant that they had to come down. They did.
 
Thread starter
Well I pulled the trigger on the factory demo. All maintenance had been done, new tires and brake pucks, fresh oil/filter today, full new factory warranty, 500 Honda bucks, Honda 2.9 financing, and I decided to trade my old bike in getting a price I haven't been able to get on Craigslist. This dealership has treated me well over 40 years since a wet behind the ears kid needed parts for a C110 Sport Cub he rescued from a barn. I will say, it certainly returns me to yesteryear.
 
That's fantastic! Enjoy the bike! Can't beat that. Good to hear there's still some dealers left that care. My local Honda dealer that was there forever closed about two years ago after the family patriarch died. The next closest dealer stinks and I don't give them long either.
 
Thread starter
Did the walk around and found out it has heated grips also, so along with the ABS it comes with some extras. Hearing it run it is obvious that the valves have been taken care of at the correct time. I love how silky smooth it is and nimble around town, it will be a great commuter bike for me. All I need is to outfit it with a cafe style windscreen/fairing to help keep the bugs and blast off me.
 
Good on you, Gossman. Well done. Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us.
 
gossman_imp said:
Well I pulled the trigger on the factory demo. All maintenance had been done, new tires and brake pucks, fresh oil/filter today, full new factory warranty, 500 Honda bucks, Honda 2.9 financing, and I decided to trade my old bike in getting a price I haven't been able to get on Craigslist. This dealership has treated me well over 40 years since a wet behind the ears kid needed parts for a C110 Sport Cub he rescued from a barn. I will say, it certainly returns me to yesteryear.
Congrats on the purchase. :clap: Im glad you found a deal that you can live with.

You know, I wish I could find local people to deal with that I trusted but I just cant. Its not in my make up for some reason. I literally have had to go all over the country to buy cars, motorcycles and everything else over the years.

Please give us a ride report after you put some miles on.
 
Sure you're loving it. I found it interesting riding the sons CB that I'm in 5th gear a lot. Seems to be just fine and 6th, while nice, is not the necessity we thought it might be. I have a rare weekend off this one coming, and his bike is in my garage, so I'll be doing a mile or two starting around 8am.
Enjoy yours my friend, they are awesome bikes :)
 
gossman_imp said:
I rode the CB bikes in the mid 70s to the mid 80s, last was a CB650 bought off the dealer floor. Went through the adventure bike phase and in the last decade went to the cruiser bikes. Never a favorite of mine, I always pined for another CB. Well I am looking at a dealer where they have a '13 CB 1100 ABS demo on the floor. Clean, 9k miles, new BattleAxe tires, 1 year Honda warranty. $7999 out the door. Wouldn't know that the bike was a Honda demo at all by looking at it. I've been on the '14 model and the suburban and back roads I drive wouldn't make the 6speed tranny a must, especially since my recent bike was a 5 speed. I'm just a 55 year old fat guy reliving my earlier days. So, what's the overall opinion on this suggested ride?
Just curious as to what made you think it was a demo? I see you posted up the last 4 of your VIN and that bike has been registered here before from Montana.
 
Randy B_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
I rode the CB bikes in the mid 70s to the mid 80s, last was a CB650 bought off the dealer floor. Went through the adventure bike phase and in the last decade went to the cruiser bikes. Never a favorite of mine, I always pined for another CB. Well I am looking at a dealer where they have a '13 CB 1100 ABS demo on the floor. Clean, 9k miles, new BattleAxe tires, 1 year Honda warranty. $7999 out the door. Wouldn't know that the bike was a Honda demo at all by looking at it. I've been on the '14 model and the suburban and back roads I drive wouldn't make the 6speed tranny a must, especially since my recent bike was a 5 speed. I'm just a 55 year old fat guy reliving my earlier days. So, what's the overall opinion on this suggested ride?
Just curious as to what made you think it was a demo? I see you posted up the last 4 of your VIN and that bike has been registered here before from Montana.
Interesting. Was it the dealer salesman calling it a demo? Sure sounds like a trade in to me. Is there such a thing as bike-fax like Carfax?


Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top