new Ducati xDiavel

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
IF I had lots of xash and place to spare a 2nd bike, this would be it :cool:









I was a fan of the previous generation but this looks even better imo.
Styling wise its a love it or hate it kinda bike, but I like it.

And its Ducati's first ever belt drive :thumbsup:....however dunno if thats a good thing to be the first ever in somethin :dodgy:


Specifications
Engine
Testastretta DVT (Desmodromic Variable Timing), L-Twin, 4 Desmodromically actuated valves per cylinder, Dual spark, Liquid cooled
1262 cc (77,0 cu in)
156 hp (114,7 kW) @ 9500 rpm
95,0 lb-ft (128,9 Nm) @ 5000 rpm

Transmission
belt drive
6 speed
Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control

Chassis
Front: 3,5"x17" Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, 120/70 ZR17
Rear: 8,00" x 17" Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 240/45 ZR17

Front brake: 2 x 320 mm semifloating discs, Radial Brembo monobloc 4-piston M4-32 callipers and radial master cylinder, Bosch cornering ABS
Rear brake: 265 mm disc, 2-piston floating calliper, Bosch cornering ABS

Wet weight: 247 kg (545 lb)
Seat height: 755 mm
Wheelbase: 1615 mm (63,58 in)
Fuel tank capacity: 18 l

Warranty
24 months unlimited mileage
Maintenance service intervals: 15.000km/12 Months
Valve clearance check: 30.000km

What do you guys think? I added a poll :)
 
A friend in Daytona has a first year Diavel. He loves it and has not had any mechanical or electrical issues thus far, as reliable as his Gold Wing says he.
 
Thread starter
He's got a nice stable thus far, a goldwing and a diavel :)

Makes me wonder about Ducati reliability now most of the bikes they have are released under Audi..the Scrambler, this Diavel, the new Multistrada
 
I didn't vote because none of the options apply to me.
If the first option had read, " I do not care, I don't like Italian "bikes" in general anyway," then I would have voted for that one.
To say that "I don't like Italians in general" can be misconstrued as racist.
 
Thread starter
lol, thats what I actually meant ;)

damn, can't edit the post...

ps: makes me think again, you are serious about the 'racist' thing?
I assume most of you are able to put things into perspective and in the right context?
Talking about an Italian bike, on a bike forum, with 3 other options suggesting were're again talking about bikes..

It really made me think about my best mate who has been living in the States since 2011 or so, first in NY than in San Francisco.
He lives there with this girlfriend for his business wich has and is becoming more and more a succes story, he even obtained dual citizenship and has about 100 employees.

And when he comes back to Belgium for the holidays etc he sometimes shares nice anekdotes and how its like to live in the States.
One of the biggest things he noticed is the sense of humor thing :)
Sarcasme and certain topics are very well not-done, whereas in Europe they can be told knowing its not serious at all.
For example he said something to a female employee wich was considered very sexist but was nut to be take serious at all, cannot remember what it was he said, but I think it was some kind of expression.

Those little incidents did make him aware of the sensitivities and cultural differences between America and Europe he said.
It was even that serious that the female employe could charge him for abuse of some kind, yikes.
I was a bit surprised since the East and West coast are seen here in Europe as the more "European minded" parts of the US and you guys are the creators of The Simpsons and South Park.
Wait a minuit, South Park is created by Canadians right? :)
 
Riko_imp said:
He's got a nice stable thus far, a goldwing and a diavel :)

Makes me wonder about Ducati reliability now most of the bikes they have are released under Audi..the Scrambler, this Diavel, the new Multistrada
I think it's gotten a lot better since Audi took them over. Their valve adjustment and oil change intervals went way up, and they've ditched timing belts and dry clutches for a more "normal" setup.

Friends who ride them, say they've gotten way better. In terms of initial quality, they also seem to be on another planet. The old Duc's were sweet, but some of them looked like they had the quality of a homebuilt project.
 
I knew what you meant to say, but this is a world wide forum and you never know how some people may take it - especially it they are Italian.
On the face of it, it was a very definite statement and we don't all share the same tolerance or sense of humor - as you noted with the story about your friend.
But you have set the record straight so nothing to worry about - and I'll now vote.
 
Riko_imp said:
lol, thats what I actually meant ;)

damn, can't edit the post...

ps: makes me think again, you are serious about the 'racist' thing?
I assume most of you are able to put things into perspective and in the right context?
Talking about an Italian bike, on a bike forum, with 3 other options suggesting were're again talking about bikes..

It really made me think about my best mate who has been living in the States since 2011 or so, first in NY than in San Francisco.
He lives there with this girlfriend for his business wich has and is becoming more and more a succes story, he even obtained dual citizenship and has about 100 employees.

And when he comes back to Belgium for the holidays etc he sometimes shares nice anekdotes and how its like to live in the States.
One of the biggest things he noticed is the sense of humor thing :)
Sarcasme and certain topics are very well not-done, whereas in Europe they can be told knowing its not serious at all.
For example he said something to a female employee wich was considered very sexist but was nut to be take serious at all, cannot remember what it was he said, but I think it was some kind of expression.

Those little incidents did make him aware of the sensitivities and cultural differences between America and Europe he said.
It was even that serious that the female employe could charge him for abuse of some kind, yikes.
I was a bit surprised since the East and West coast are seen here in Europe as the more "European minded" parts of the US and you guys are the creators of The Simpsons and South Park.
Wait a minuit, South Park is created by Canadians right? :)
It depends on what region, state you're in. San Francisco may as well be a different country when trying to compare values to other areas of the US. Most anywhere in the southeast, Georgia in my case, no one really cares about such silliness as political correctness. Say most anything that comes to mind as long as you can look someone in the eye when you say it. A hostile statement may require reflection first as to whether it's a hill your ready to die on however.
 
Thread starter
Am planning to visit my mate in the States (for the 2nd time, first time was a visit to the Big Apple) and maybe make some trips, than Georgia should be put on our to do list :)
 
That motorcycle really looks beautiful... I know absolutely nothing about them though.

But the design is... flowing, don't know what other term/word to use. It just looks cohesive and well thought out.
 
Thread starter
Despite personal taste, there is something about a bike with a trellis frame that is attractive, in my eyes though.

But this Diavel adds so much more than just a trellis frame.

Would make a handsome companion next to our CB's :)
 
I agree, Riko... That bike just has a great "presence".

What kind of motor, size, transmission?

Looks like a super wide V-twin configuration.

I'm afraid to ask... but price??
 
Thread starter
quietguy_imp said:
I agree, Riko... That bike just has a great "presence".

What kind of motor, size, transmission?

Looks like a super wide V-twin configuration.

I'm afraid to ask... but price??
I realised it would be coold if the pics were accompanied with the specs, so I added the most important specs in the first post.

Here is the (Belgian, but in English) Ducati page for the new Diavel:
http://www.ducatinortheurope.be/nl/bikes/diavel/x_diavel/tech_spec.do

Specifications
Engine
Testastretta DVT (Desmodromic Variable Timing), L-Twin, 4 Desmodromically actuated valves per cylinder, Dual spark, Liquid cooled
1262 cc (77,0 cu in)
156 hp (114,7 kW) @ 9500 rpm
95,0 lb-ft (128,9 Nm) @ 5000 rpm

Transmission
belt drive
6 speed
Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control

Chassis
Front: 3,5"x17" Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, 120/70 ZR17
Rear: 8,00" x 17" Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 240/45 ZR17

Front brake: 2 x 320 mm semifloating discs, Radial Brembo monobloc 4-piston M4-32 callipers and radial master cylinder, Bosch cornering ABS
Rear brake: 265 mm disc, 2-piston floating calliper, Bosch cornering ABS

Wet weight: 247 kg (545 lb)
Seat height: 755 mm
Wheelbase: 1615 mm (63,58 in)
Fuel tank capacity: 18 l

Warranty
24 months unlimited mileage
Maintenance service intervals: 15.000km/12 Months
Valve clearance check: 30.000km

Mooore than potent enough for my taste, but since its promoted as a "Cruiser" you should be able to cruise on this beast as well :)

The stats on the specs that impress me the most are these:
95,0 lb-ft (128,9 Nm) @ 5000 rpm
belt driven :thumbsup:
240/45 ZR17 rear tire, I have somewhat a sweet spot for fat tires :cool::blush:

edit
price :)
Its 160% the price of a CB1100EX in Belgium;)
And a CB EX here costs 12799 euro (prices went up) :huh: thats about 13966 USD
 
It looks cool in the first 4 pictures, very contemporary, smooth, artsy. But the it doesn't look great in the 5th picture with the rider. Looks very disconnected. My biggest complaint is looking at radiators on liquid cooled motorcycles. I like it better when they are hidden by fairing. Radiators look cool on Model Ts, but can you imagine being able to see the radiator on a contemporary car ?
 
Thread starter
quietguy_imp said:
Sorry, Riko... I missed reading the specs on your first post, my bad.
I just added them after your post ;)

Makes me wonder what the lean angle is on our CB's?

Ducati makes a big deal their Diavels have a 41° lean angle...no doubt for a cruiser like an Electra Glide, thats a lot, I guess :-/
I did ride my dads Stratoliner and you couldnt corner that thing!

I don't even have an idea what the lean angle was on my big scooter, Burgman 650, but I scraped a lot of the bodywork (no pegs available there :P).

Haven't yet scraped any of the pegs on my CB though :blush: but I would like to know what the theoretical lean angle is on our bikes.
For comparison sake, whats the lean angle on the average potent sports bike like an R1, Panigale, Fireblade etc?

Edit: fast google search, 2004 R1 has a claimed 56° lean angle.
And a Burgman 650 should be around 40°, someone stating about 45°.
Definitely those maxi scoots have more angle than big cruisers.
How about our CB's I wonder...
 
The cartoon South Park was conceived and written by two Americans who grew up in the town I currently live in. It's a satire based on the town of Fairplay, CO, which is about 60 miles from here on US 285. If you go, be sure to stop at the Brown Burro Cafe for breakfast and tell Megan or Tiffany that I sent you. My CB has been seen there many times.
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
It looks cool in the first 4 pictures, very contemporary, smooth, artsy. But the it doesn't look great in the 5th picture with the rider. Looks very disconnected. My biggest complaint is looking at radiators on liquid cooled motorcycles. I like it better when they are hidden by fairing. Radiators look cool on Model Ts, but can you imagine being able to see the radiator on a contemporary car ?
true, but for my eyes the rest is just so good looking I didnt even notice the radiator, untill you mentioned it :)

They look very connected here :)



Ducati might have (or had?) its issues but I think if there is one thing they do right, its connectivity :)
Their Scrambler even has a USB port under the seat :)
 
From the two pics above it looks like Ducati bought out some of Big Dogs remaining parts bin and is going to try and appeal to hipsters that are in the market for a modern power cruiser with a Big Dog Chopper rear wheel. What impresses me most about the Diavel is that it only weighs 545 pounds. That's a significant accomplishment because in the flesh it looks at least 200 pounds heavier.
 
Thread starter
So, this Xdiavel is acutally my replacement bike while my Multistrada is in for its big notorious, expensive, etc etc Desmo service :)

After the initial ride I can say, don't hurry the service! :)
While not exactly the best long distance travel bike, its a hoot!
XDiavel, and Diavel = Italian for Devil.
I wonder why they came up with that name hehehe
6ad2d80b7061a5aed3b128eb6a57e927.jpg

6670a4a91271caa3c68987993a966216.jpg

f5c88be196b1d6e186d6d0cc2ef11447.jpg

a19add87dd537cf2b5ef120b353ba085.jpg

ac0999fe63bfdf44a9cf4d7f35475f3b.jpg

c0397028f0d483c0d29609658a5f7ac6.jpg

56e22833aff57a231594b7635ae42951.jpg

10ada4289b09a9c8e8fcf97d96a6eb36.jpg

92fef5ff093f698b4fab5393ca593a29.jpg

02e1a3e10ebf5b1e8f075eeb97e222b9.jpg

c0649a783fb218cffa9ededfbbca03f3.jpg

 
Back
Top