New Duc in the Driveway

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi ya fellas,

Been a minute since I've posted, thought I would share a pic of my new scooter. Still have the CB1100, would have a hard time ever parting with her, but nobody ever said you can't have more than one bike. Just picked up a '22 Duc Multistrada V4S. bike has side Panniers and Top Case, although off for the photo.

Never thought I would get into the "Adventure bike" segment, personally always thought they were a tad on the ugly side. Then I test rode one on a whim and was hooked. Super comfy ergos, loaded with cool tech, handles like a dream, 170hp flat out gets it...lovin' it now. It will be great for longer rides for wifey and me, will reserve the CB for shorter rides by myself.

Any other adv bike riders here?

Cheers!
 
Awesome bike. Congrats!
 
There are no pretty ADV bikes.

But they do fill the bill for a certain need in a ride.

I would say that Ducati is on the better half of ugly. Congratulations Phadreus!
 
You still have a pretty bike! Congrat on the new bike.
So the Duc can do what he does the best, a highly competent motorbike! Missing mine every day:(
 
Thread starter
Mercurysilver_imp said:
You still have a pretty bike! Congrat on the new bike.
So the Duc can do what he does the best, a highly competent motorbike! Missing mine every day:(
What model did you have MS?

I think the thing I'm most impressed with is that the bike does everything I want extremely well, no weaknesses or shortcomings (other than the initial cost is a tad salty). I sold my '14 HD Street Glide to buy this bike. Man, what a night and day difference in riding experience it has been. May sound silly, but this bike is so fun to ride, it literally makes me laugh outload in my helmet while riding. My HD never did that for me... :D
peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats Phadreus.
Two bikes are better than one!
:biker: x2
Indeed PB...hmm, you now have me wondering if your logic applies to three bikes? Won't know until I try I guess... :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
There are no pretty ADV bikes.

But they do fill the bill for a certain need in a ride.

I would say that Ducati is on the better half of ugly. Congratulations Phadreus!
I see the styling of ADV bikes as form following function. Most everything about their styling is derived from purpose for the most part. An acquired taste for sure. Over six months of looking at them, I went from "Oh my god, they're hideous!" to "Mmm, I guess they aren't so bad." to "I think I kinda like 'em, they're so ugly they're kinda beautiful in their own way."
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome bike. Congrats!
Thx Ferret. Few joys in life exceed the feeling of a new ride in the driveway.

Now, let the mods begin! :P
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Mercurysilver_imp said:
You still have a pretty bike! Congrat on the new bike.
So the Duc can do what he does the best, a highly competent motorbike! Missing mine every day:(
What model did you have MS?

I think the thing I'm most impressed with is that the bike does everything I want extremely well, no weaknesses or shortcomings (other than the initial cost is a tad salty). I sold my '14 HD Street Glide to buy this bike. Man, what a night and day difference in riding experience it has been. May sound silly, but this bike is so fun to ride, it literally makes me laugh outload in my helmet while riding. My HD never did that for me... :D
peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats Phadreus.
Two bikes are better than one!
:biker: x2
Indeed PB...hmm, you now have me wondering if your logic applies to three bikes? Won't know until I try I guess... :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
There are no pretty ADV bikes.

But they do fill the bill for a certain need in a ride.

I would say that Ducati is on the better half of ugly. Congratulations Phadreus!
I see the styling of ADV bikes as form following function. Most everything about their styling is derived from purpose for the most part. An acquired taste for sure. Over six months of looking at them, I went from "Oh my god, they're hideous!" to "Mmm, I guess they aren't so bad." to "I think I kinda like 'em, they're so ugly they're kinda beautiful in their own way."
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome bike. Congrats!
Thx Ferret. Few joys in life exceed the feeling of a new ride in the driveway.

Now, let the mods begin! :P
I see the styling of ADV bikes as form following function. Most everything about their styling is derived from purpose for the most part. An acquired taste for sure. Over six months of looking at them, I went from "Oh my god, they're hideous!" to "Mmm, I guess they aren't so bad." to "I think I kinda like 'em, they're so ugly they're kinda beautiful in their own way."
I too seemed to have followed a similar path.

Our thinking appears aligned.
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Mercurysilver_imp said:
You still have a pretty bike! Congrat on the new bike.
So the Duc can do what he does the best, a highly competent motorbike! Missing mine every day:(
What model did you have MS?

I think the thing I'm most impressed with is that the bike does everything I want extremely well, no weaknesses or shortcomings (other than the initial cost is a tad salty). I sold my '14 HD Street Glide to buy this bike. Man, what a night and day difference in riding experience it has been. May sound silly, but this bike is so fun to ride, it literally makes me laugh outload in my helmet while riding. My HD never did that for me... :D
peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats Phadreus.
Two bikes are better than one!
:biker: x2
Indeed PB...hmm, you now have me wondering if your logic applies to three bikes? Won't know until I try I guess... :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
There are no pretty ADV bikes.

But they do fill the bill for a certain need in a ride.

I would say that Ducati is on the better half of ugly. Congratulations Phadreus!
I see the styling of ADV bikes as form following function. Most everything about their styling is derived from purpose for the most part. An acquired taste for sure. Over six months of looking at them, I went from "Oh my god, they're hideous!" to "Mmm, I guess they aren't so bad." to "I think I kinda like 'em, they're so ugly they're kinda beautiful in their own way."
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome bike. Congrats!
Thx Ferret. Few joys in life exceed the feeling of a new ride in the driveway.

Now, let the mods begin! :P
Indeed PB...hmm, you now have me wondering if your logic applies to three bikes? Won't know until I try I guess... :P
Correct number of motorcycles = n + 1

Where n = number of motorcycles currently owned
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Mercurysilver_imp said:
You still have a pretty bike! Congrat on the new bike.
So the Duc can do what he does the best, a highly competent motorbike! Missing mine every day:(
What model did you have MS?

I think the thing I'm most impressed with is that the bike does everything I want extremely well, no weaknesses or shortcomings (other than the initial cost is a tad salty). I sold my '14 HD Street Glide to buy this bike. Man, what a night and day difference in riding experience it has been. May sound silly, but this bike is so fun to ride, it literally makes me laugh outload in my helmet while riding. My HD never did that for me... :D
peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats Phadreus.
Two bikes are better than one!
:biker: x2
Indeed PB...hmm, you now have me wondering if your logic applies to three bikes? Won't know until I try I guess... :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
There are no pretty ADV bikes.

But they do fill the bill for a certain need in a ride.

I would say that Ducati is on the better half of ugly. Congratulations Phadreus!
I see the styling of ADV bikes as form following function. Most everything about their styling is derived from purpose for the most part. An acquired taste for sure. Over six months of looking at them, I went from "Oh my god, they're hideous!" to "Mmm, I guess they aren't so bad." to "I think I kinda like 'em, they're so ugly they're kinda beautiful in their own way."
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome bike. Congrats!
Thx Ferret. Few joys in life exceed the feeling of a new ride in the driveway.

Now, let the mods begin! :P
Indeed PB...hmm, you now have me wondering if your logic applies to three bikes? Won't know until I try I guess... :P
Correct number of motorcycles = n + 1

Where n = number of motorcycles currently owned
Good cover there Cormanus.

Otherwise one could have assigned you n = -(∞).
 
A bud of mine bought one of those Ducs, and loved it. I hear they're supposed to be super-comfy with blistering acceleration and great handling. His was. Another bud of mine had a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 that was like a magic carpet. I waited for years for him to offer to let me ride it, but it never happened. I've been secretly coveting something from that segment for years, but my wife wouldn't get on it. That seat is too tiny, there's no sissy bar (that can be remedied I guess) and it's too tall. I just may trade the CB for one, but don't tell anyone I said that. I'm looking at a bagger cruiser tomorrow that has a plush pillion seat and is low to the ground.
 
I had a Triumph Tiger 1200 and now have a 2023 GS but the Ducai V4S, up close and in the flesh is a totally fabulous sculpture of a bike, definately in the good looking category, congratulations!
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi ya fellas,

Been a minute since I've posted, thought I would share a pic of my new scooter. Still have the CB1100, would have a hard time ever parting with her, but nobody ever said you can't have more than one bike. Just picked up a '22 Duc Multistrada V4S. bike has side Panniers and Top Case, although off for the photo.

Never thought I would get into the "Adventure bike" segment, personally always thought they were a tad on the ugly side. Then I test rode one on a whim and was hooked. Super comfy ergos, loaded with cool tech, handles like a dream, 170hp flat out gets it...lovin' it now. It will be great for longer rides for wifey and me, will reserve the CB for shorter rides by myself.

Any other adv bike riders here?

Cheers!
Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.



Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
A bud of mine bought one of those Ducs, and loved it. I hear they're supposed to be super-comfy with blistering acceleration and great handling. His was. Another bud of mine had a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 that was like a magic carpet. I waited for years for him to offer to let me ride it, but it never happened. I've been secretly coveting something from that segment for years, but my wife wouldn't get on it. That seat is too tiny, there's no sissy bar (that can be remedied I guess) and it's too tall. I just may trade the CB for one, but don't tell anyone I said that. I'm looking at a bagger cruiser tomorrow that has a plush pillion seat and is low to the ground.
I ridden my Duc over a 1k miles so far and absolutely love it. Comfortable as can be, handles like a dream and has loads of power. It truly is the best all-round bike I've ever owned.

Wifey has been riding with me and (after I installed a pillion backrest) she finds it very comfortable. The only complaint she has is getting on and off is a bit of a task for her with it being so tall. Once on, she loves it. :thumbsup:
Ollie_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi ya fellas,

Been a minute since I've posted, thought I would share a pic of my new scooter. Still have the CB1100, would have a hard time ever parting with her, but nobody ever said you can't have more than one bike. Just picked up a '22 Duc Multistrada V4S. bike has side Panniers and Top Case, although off for the photo.

Never thought I would get into the "Adventure bike" segment, personally always thought they were a tad on the ugly side. Then I test rode one on a whim and was hooked. Super comfy ergos, loaded with cool tech, handles like a dream, 170hp flat out gets it...lovin' it now. It will be great for longer rides for wifey and me, will reserve the CB for shorter rides by myself.

Any other adv bike riders here?

Cheers!
Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.



Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike.

Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike. I was really torn between the Duc and the Tiger 1200. In the end, I liked that the Duc had nicely integrated panniers where the Tiger had the more traditional "Ammo Boxes" which I'm not a fan of. In hind sight, I would say they are far more functional than the Duc's panniers. Every time I open one, all my stuff falls out...kind of annoying really. I did really like the Tripple on the Triumph and it sounded amazing. I thought the Duc was quite a bit more lively in the engine department. I loved the low end torque of the Boxer on the BMW's but admittedly did not find the engine sound inspiring at all. Some love the sound, I found that I did not.

Cool old Guzzi! :cool:
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
A bud of mine bought one of those Ducs, and loved it. I hear they're supposed to be super-comfy with blistering acceleration and great handling. His was. Another bud of mine had a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 that was like a magic carpet. I waited for years for him to offer to let me ride it, but it never happened. I've been secretly coveting something from that segment for years, but my wife wouldn't get on it. That seat is too tiny, there's no sissy bar (that can be remedied I guess) and it's too tall. I just may trade the CB for one, but don't tell anyone I said that. I'm looking at a bagger cruiser tomorrow that has a plush pillion seat and is low to the ground.
I ridden my Duc over a 1k miles so far and absolutely love it. Comfortable as can be, handles like a dream and has loads of power. It truly is the best all-round bike I've ever owned.

Wifey has been riding with me and (after I installed a pillion backrest) she finds it very comfortable. The only complaint she has is getting on and off is a bit of a task for her with it being so tall. Once on, she loves it. :thumbsup:
Ollie_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi ya fellas,

Been a minute since I've posted, thought I would share a pic of my new scooter. Still have the CB1100, would have a hard time ever parting with her, but nobody ever said you can't have more than one bike. Just picked up a '22 Duc Multistrada V4S. bike has side Panniers and Top Case, although off for the photo.

Never thought I would get into the "Adventure bike" segment, personally always thought they were a tad on the ugly side. Then I test rode one on a whim and was hooked. Super comfy ergos, loaded with cool tech, handles like a dream, 170hp flat out gets it...lovin' it now. It will be great for longer rides for wifey and me, will reserve the CB for shorter rides by myself.

Any other adv bike riders here?

Cheers!
Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.



Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike.

Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike. I was really torn between the Duc and the Tiger 1200. In the end, I liked that the Duc had nicely integrated panniers where the Tiger had the more traditional "Ammo Boxes" which I'm not a fan of. In hind sight, I would say they are far more functional than the Duc's panniers. Every time I open one, all my stuff falls out...kind of annoying really. I did really like the Tripple on the Triumph and it sounded amazing. I thought the Duc was quite a bit more lively in the engine department. I loved the low end torque of the Boxer on the BMW's but admittedly did not find the engine sound inspiring at all. Some love the sound, I found that I did not.

Cool old Guzzi! :cool:

I don't care for side load panniers but they're better than no panniers at all. For a compromise on bikes with side loaders I generally use a bag liner in the left pannier for smaller items and put bulkier things in the right w/o a liner.
The side load panniers on the Goldwing integrate nicely also, but like you say they're nowhere near as functional as the top loaders on my Guzzi's or previous Road King.

The all new R1300GS is due out soon and I was hoping BMW would offer integrated, top load plastic panniers as an option but in the few spy images of it running around the panniers appear to open on the side. :(
 
Thread starter
Ollie_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
A bud of mine bought one of those Ducs, and loved it. I hear they're supposed to be super-comfy with blistering acceleration and great handling. His was. Another bud of mine had a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 that was like a magic carpet. I waited for years for him to offer to let me ride it, but it never happened. I've been secretly coveting something from that segment for years, but my wife wouldn't get on it. That seat is too tiny, there's no sissy bar (that can be remedied I guess) and it's too tall. I just may trade the CB for one, but don't tell anyone I said that. I'm looking at a bagger cruiser tomorrow that has a plush pillion seat and is low to the ground.
I ridden my Duc over a 1k miles so far and absolutely love it. Comfortable as can be, handles like a dream and has loads of power. It truly is the best all-round bike I've ever owned.

Wifey has been riding with me and (after I installed a pillion backrest) she finds it very comfortable. The only complaint she has is getting on and off is a bit of a task for her with it being so tall. Once on, she loves it. :thumbsup:
Ollie_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi ya fellas,

Been a minute since I've posted, thought I would share a pic of my new scooter. Still have the CB1100, would have a hard time ever parting with her, but nobody ever said you can't have more than one bike. Just picked up a '22 Duc Multistrada V4S. bike has side Panniers and Top Case, although off for the photo.

Never thought I would get into the "Adventure bike" segment, personally always thought they were a tad on the ugly side. Then I test rode one on a whim and was hooked. Super comfy ergos, loaded with cool tech, handles like a dream, 170hp flat out gets it...lovin' it now. It will be great for longer rides for wifey and me, will reserve the CB for shorter rides by myself.

Any other adv bike riders here?

Cheers!
Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.



Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike.

Great looking motorcycle, Padreus. Now get the maps out and start planning your trips keeping in mind you are not limited to paved roads!
While some feel adv bikes are ugly, they are the best all around motorcycles. (Not me, I also feel beauty follows function). I always say if I were to have only one motorcycle it'd be an adventure bike for sure. My first one was back in 1991, the R100GS below, and I've had one ever since, mostly GS/GSA's from airheads through R1200 wetheads.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Currently enjoying a Guzzi V85TT (almost a modern BMW airhead) and Tenere' 700 which fits in between a dual sport and adventure bike. I was really torn between the Duc and the Tiger 1200. In the end, I liked that the Duc had nicely integrated panniers where the Tiger had the more traditional "Ammo Boxes" which I'm not a fan of. In hind sight, I would say they are far more functional than the Duc's panniers. Every time I open one, all my stuff falls out...kind of annoying really. I did really like the Tripple on the Triumph and it sounded amazing. I thought the Duc was quite a bit more lively in the engine department. I loved the low end torque of the Boxer on the BMW's but admittedly did not find the engine sound inspiring at all. Some love the sound, I found that I did not.

Cool old Guzzi! :cool:

I don't care for side load panniers but they're better than no panniers at all. For a compromise on bikes with side loaders I generally use a bag liner in the left pannier for smaller items and put bulkier things in the right w/o a liner.
The side load panniers on the Goldwing integrate nicely also, but like you say they're nowhere near as functional as the top loaders on my Guzzi's or previous Road King.

The all new R1300GS is due out soon and I was hoping BMW would offer integrated, top load plastic panniers as an option but in the few spy images of it running around the panniers appear to open on the side. :(

I don't care for side load panniers but they're better than no panniers at all. For a compromise on bikes with side loaders I generally use a bag liner in the left pannier for smaller items and put bulkier things in the right w/o a liner.
The side load panniers on the Goldwing integrate nicely also, but like you say they're nowhere near as functional as the top loaders on my Guzzi's or previous Road King.

The all new R1300GS is due out soon and I was hoping BMW would offer integrated, top load plastic panniers as an option but in the few spy images of it running around the panniers appear to open on the side. :( One of my guys at work just bought a new R1250RS Beemer in the Captain America paint scheme. He loves it and got the integrated Panniers as well. Similar to Duc's with the side load. If I remember correctly, his will expand out for more space when needed which was pretty slick.

I can't wait to see what BMW brings out on the '24 GS. I'll bet they will close the gap to Duc with some of the tech like RADAR Assist CC and what not. I'm sure they pick 10-15 more hp with the 1350cc motor.
 
Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing the new GS1300 too. From my perspective I not interested in even more electronics and make a little more power, but I like that there's reportedly some weight savings.
 
Back
Top