New CB 1100 deal cash and trade

calipo223_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi, how’s this deal sound? A New Hampshire dealer has a new 2014 CB for 6500.00 The dealer will give Me 3100.00 for My 2013 NC 700 x and 4000.00 cash will get a new CB 1100. That’s 600.00 in fees and My NC has 9000 miles and is in good condition. What does the brain trust of the CB community think of this deal? Thanks
 
How much off-road adventure riding have you done since you purchased the NC700? I looked at one when I bought my CB1100. At the time, they were about the same price--close to $7500. I bought the CB because I have a CRF for off-road. It means you're taking about a $4000 loss for 5 years of depreciation. Do you think you could get more if you sold it yourself? Could you give that bike to a loved one who will ride with you? I don't like trading in bikes. I'd rather keep them or gift them to someone. If you're done with the NC and you have the cash, then it's an okay deal. Not a great deal, in my opinion, but an okay one.
 
Thread starter
I paid 6800 out the door, no fees, a 2013 in march 14. the longest ride I took was up to Nova Scotia did a nice tour up there so not much off- road.thanks for the reply
 
Well, if you're comfortable with it, you could tell the dealer you'll do $6800 out the door, again. That's only $300 less than the dealer's asking, and it might seem more of an "even trade" for you. You could print out some of the other great deals around on new 14s and use those to bargain with. If the dealer won't move on the price, maybe you could get them to throw in a new helmet and gloves, or add heated grips or a rear rack. Bottom line is that you have to feel good about the deal. If you do, go for it and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. The CB1100 is an excellent platform to build the bike you really want. If you don't feel good about it, there are other deals out there.
 
Roper_imp said:
Well, if you're comfortable with it, you could tell the dealer you'll do $6800 out the door, again. That's only $300 less than the dealer's asking, and it might seem more of an "even trade" for you. You could print out some of the other great deals around on new 14s and use those to bargain with. If the dealer won't move on the price, maybe you could get them to throw in a new helmet and gloves, or add heated grips or a rear rack. Bottom line is that you have to feel good about the deal. If you do, go for it and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. The CB1100 is an excellent platform to build the bike you really want. If you don't feel good about it, there are other deals out there.
I think that is the best advice you’re likely to get on the vexed question of what constitutes a good deal. Best of luck with your decision.
 
$3100 and a used motorcycle? I'd say that is s good deal for a new CB, especially if you are going to keep it and rack up some miles.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
Well, if you're comfortable with it, you could tell the dealer you'll do $6800 out the door, again. That's only $300 less than the dealer's asking, and it might seem more of an "even trade" for you. You could print out some of the other great deals around on new 14s and use those to bargain with. If the dealer won't move on the price, maybe you could get them to throw in a new helmet and gloves, or add heated grips or a rear rack. Bottom line is that you have to feel good about the deal. If you do, go for it and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. The CB1100 is an excellent platform to build the bike you really want. If you don't feel good about it, there are other deals out there.
I think that is the best advice you’re likely to get on the vexed question of what constitutes a good deal. Best of luck with your decision.
I think that is the best advice you’re likely to get on the vexed question of what constitutes a good deal. Best of luck with your decision. Agreed.

The new CB1100 will cost the OP his NC700X plus $4000 cash. If we're talking pennies, clearly he'd better off selling his bike on his own, since the dealer will need to make a profit when they wholesale or resell it, which would otherwise go to the OP if he chose to sell it on his own. That's the cost of convenience.

As far as whether it's a good deal, we've seen CB1100 pricing vary dramatically across the country. It wouldn't be a good deal around here, but perhaps it reflects the motorcycle market in New Hampshire. I can't comment on the $600 dealer fees, but they're usually negotiable to some degree. If so, the trade-in value of the NC700X will be adjusted accordingly.
 
If the asking price of the CB1100 is $6500 and the cash down is $4000 then the offer on the trade is actually $2500 right? The 700 is worth $4000 low retail so the convenience premium is $1500 which is paid to the dealer for his trouble to unload the 700.
 
Stichill_imp said:
If the asking price of the CB1100 is $6500 and the cash down is $4000 then the offer on the trade is actually $2500 right? The 700 is worth $4000 low retail so the convenience premium is $1500 which is paid to the dealer for his trouble to unload the 700.
I'm not sure what the market is like where the OP is but around here I would take that deal all day.

The used bike market is terrible, you would end sitting on the 700 forever if you could sell it at all. Some dealers won't even take certain bikes on trade.
 
Sure he could, but time is money. He can wait to see if he can sell the bike on his own or take the deal now and be riding the bike he wants.

So it's up to the OP, taking into account his circumstances and location; what is the time and convenience trading in his old machine worth to him?

Let me turn this question on its' head for a moment. So Calipo223; would your NC700 be a good deal at $3100. In other words, let's say you buy the CB1100 outright then came across this smoking deal on the NC700; would you jump at it?
 
I’ve unfortunately been in the situation to have had sold numerous vehicles for much less than I thought they were worth.

That being said, none of them did I sell until trying for to sell higher.

Market sets demand, cash talks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
calipo223_imp said:
Hi, how’s this deal sound? A New Hampshire dealer has a new 2014 CB for 6500.00 The dealer will give Me 3100.00 for My 2013 NC 700 x and 4000.00 cash will get a new CB 1100. That’s 600.00 in fees and My NC has 9000 miles and is in good condition. What does the brain trust of the CB community think of this deal? Thanks
I was offered 5600 for my 14 standard by the local Honda dealer so that seems like a good price for a new one. Perhaps cb1100s are getting rare.
calipo223_imp said:
Hi, how’s this deal sound? A New Hampshire dealer has a new 2014 CB for 6500.00 The dealer will give Me 3100.00 for My 2013 NC 700 x and 4000.00 cash will get a new CB 1100. That’s 600.00 in fees and My NC has 9000 miles and is in good condition. What does the brain trust of the CB community think of this deal? Thanks
I was offered 5600 for my 14 standard by the local Honda dealer so that seems like a good price for a new one. Perhaps cb1100s are getting rare.
 
nc700 should get close to 4k on craigs list if that hassle seems ok then sell your self but the trade in saves some tax and alot less hassel dealing with cl customers
i paid 5499 for my 14 a year and a half ago new, make him come down cuz he really wants rid of it
 
Good point gtmn. Would be very interesting to propose a $5500 purchase price for the CB1100 then go for a quick CL sale of the 700 below market at say $3000. You’re giving up $1000 on the 700 but getting it back on the CB purchase.
 
Back
Top