New Basic Box

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
While I can't live without the practicality of a Givi Monokey top box for my daily commuting and errand running, my V-40 and V-47 boxes look more like the back end of a car with their fake taillights and frippery.

I wanted to adapt a plain briefcase or something similar to the Monokey mounting plate to give me a box that fit more with the retro style of the CB and my Bonneville. I gave up and ordered an E36 box.

I've been in Florida working for the past two weeks, and am back for a few days to catch up at the office before returning to FL for a few more weeks. The new box was waiting for me, and it did an admirable job of carrying my lunch and paperwork to the shop this morning. It's a lot more basic than my fancier boxes, but for the basics, more asthetically pleasing. I'll put some black reflective tape around the circumfrence and call it good.

Felt great to get back on the CB this morning, even if it's just for a few days before I return to the job site, where I'll be in trucks and on scooters.
 
For future ideas I have seen guys take pelican boxes (or similar) you can actually get some really nice version from harbor freight and they mount those. They are water and air tight but they look a little more rugged

I actually have 1 of these to safely store and transport my extra lithium batteries from my drone and the quality is great. Just another idea if you ever need another top box for utility/work reasons. You can lock them also.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
ee05cd7fe0c2ba3721308100a0146c48.jpg
 
mvk24_imp said:
For future ideas I have seen guys take pelican boxes (or similar) you can actually get some really nice version from harbor freight and they mount those. They are water and air tight but they look a little more rugged

I actually have 1 of these to safely store and transport my extra lithium batteries from my drone and the quality is great. Just another idea if you ever need another top box for utility/work reasons. You can lock them also.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
ee05cd7fe0c2ba3721308100a0146c48.jpg
I have a Seahorse case (like Pelican, but half the price) directly bolted to my rear rack. It's water tight. I sealed around the bolt heads with silicone. I used Pick n Pull foam to create a custom interior for my camera gear. Three years and thousands of miles. I'm completely satisfied with how it has performed.


 
Roper_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
For future ideas I have seen guys take pelican boxes (or similar) you can actually get some really nice version from harbor freight and they mount those. They are water and air tight but they look a little more rugged

I actually have 1 of these to safely store and transport my extra lithium batteries from my drone and the quality is great. Just another idea if you ever need another top box for utility/work reasons. You can lock them also.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
ee05cd7fe0c2ba3721308100a0146c48.jpg
I have a Seahorse case (like Pelican, but half the price) directly bolted to my rear rack. It's water tight. I sealed around the bolt heads with silicone. I used Pick n Pull foam to create a custom interior for my camera gear. Three years and thousands of miles. I'm completely satisfied with how it has performed.
I have a Seahorse case (like Pelican, but half the price) directly bolted to my rear rack. It's water tight. I sealed around the bolt heads with silicone. I used Pick n Pull foam to create a custom interior for my camera gear. Three years and thousands of miles. I'm completely satisfied with how it has performed. My thoughts exactly! I picked the foam to make my large batteries fit also. I wanted to do something like this for my camera gear also. Typically I just throw the DSLR with a wide angle lens in my soft saddle bag wrapped with bubble wrap for a little extra protection. I have a smaller tripod and remote shutter i can fit in the bag for long exposures at night but having a pelican style case would be a better option. Take another extra lens or 2 also.


In the OP case the foam cases would be good for a laptop also but not so good for throwing lunch and such in.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
We have a ton of Pelican and Harbor Freight boxes with pick-n-pull foam for work. We're basically a travelling circus that ships fragile items, like testing equipment, credit card swipers, etc. I sometimes set the smaller boxes on my rear rack to see what they'd look like, and the E36 is the closest Monokey to them.

This was purely a vanity project. The V40 is more practical, since it's bulbous enough to carry a helmet. The E36 won't, but it doesn't look like I put a small barbecue on my bike, either. But, it'll carry my lunch and laptop, and with an exposed handle, it's easier to carry around like a briefcase. The 47 will still be my box for longer trips and shopping.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
We have a ton of Pelican and Harbor Freight boxes with pick-n-pull foam for work. We're basically a travelling circus that ships fragile items, like testing equipment, credit card swipers, etc. I sometimes set the smaller boxes on my rear rack to see what they'd look like, and the E36 is the closest Monokey to them.

This was purely a vanity project. The V40 is more practical, since it's bulbous enough to carry a helmet. The E36 won't, but it doesn't look like I put a small barbecue on my bike, either. But, it'll carry my lunch and laptop, and with an exposed handle, it's easier to carry around like a briefcase. The 47 will still be my box for longer trips and shopping.
Fitting a helmet is a big bonus.
 
Thread starter
Nice pic, Frulk! Reminds me that my wife and I haven't been able to get to Utah in quite a while!
 
Frulk_imp said:
When you just don't care what you look like going down the road you go this route:

d22d5f037cd2e762d7140014f3f08bee.jpg
Haha is that a mini fridge on the back of the bike! Cold beverages on a trip are better than carrying a helmet! Haha

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
I had dry ice in it. Was riding back home after surgery to have a kidney removed. Sold it on EBay and was able to pay the house off.
 
I like to re-purpose things from one application to another, and when I had boats I'd make all kinds of doodads out of bits of this and that. I don't/didn't like top boxes 'cause they're too bulky looking. One day, coming out of my fave stogie store, I saw a stack of wooden stogie boxes for sale for two bucks each. I looked for a bigger one to mount for over a year, but all he ever had was the smaller ones, too small to be of much use to carry much at all. Ah, well...
 
This thread made me curious about setting up a HF box with U bolts so I could keep it off and only put it on when I am doing a trip. I know the seat isn't on and I didnt mount it (this is the box I use for my drone batteries)

But it doesn't look as out of place as I thought it would on the rear rack. Might grab a second box and set it up as an option for when I can finally get out on the bike. I saw on Adv rider guys mounting Rotopax and those tool holder pipes onto the sides of the box. Also screwing small tie down hooks onto the top of them so you could add more gear ontop. So really you'd never lose the space of the rear rack.

- it may not look the part but functional/utility wise I can definitely see why people use top boxes for camping/touring now.

- Whats the real weight limit of the rear rack? I think factory said 20lbs but it has got to be alot more than that. This is practically the same diameter as the handlebars.

- I can fit an IFAK, one of my lightweight cooksets, and a roll of duct tape with plenty of space to spare (for size reference).
9746ab0af901242ae62b5d61ef63ab45.jpg
b2bbe8c72582f11043c0424fbf9171c2.jpg
7e23c396f5ab69f92b07a260fd05f97d.jpg
7d639bca5116b1990217a49fa52b79f9.jpg
c5b94fc4f81ccfd3edabd9cc756bd8c0.jpg
eda5d836560debbcca631dee97e54015.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
I'm a big fan of the Pelican Boxes. Serve the purpose well and look good in my opinion. I bolted directly on to the factory rack so not a quick release. Put one on my Versys as well.

dcdd377b88ae8d36e15d7c64fd36cb43.jpg



307a442948ac51bce040609ffd02c7c3.jpg
 
Indypikes_imp said:
I'm a big fan of the Pelican Boxes. Serve the purpose well and look good in my opinion. I bolted directly on to the factory rack so not a quick release. Put one on my Versys as well.

dcdd377b88ae8d36e15d7c64fd36cb43.jpg



307a442948ac51bce040609ffd02c7c3.jpg
Nice! Its cool to see it all done. I would also mount to the rear rack with bolts and not do a mounting plate or quick release. Easy enough to do a few bolts whenever I want to take it on and off.

I think I'd go with the next size up from the one I have for this purpose and get the Apache 4800 from HF. Did you find any specific mounting or bolts to be better than others? I was thinking of just using U bolts around the tubes of the rack.

Also, do you happen to know is those SW-Motech support brackets are sold individually? I already have soft bags for now and made my own supports but I like that design mounting to the rear sets.

Wonder of they sell just those supports instead of the entire kit with the bags.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
MVK.....If I remember correctly I just used the bolt holes that were already in the factory rack and lined the box up accordingly. I used some flat head bolts to get as flush as possible with the bottom interior of the case and added rubber and fender washers to seal. It's worked well.

As for the SW-Motech bag supports; I'm not sure if they sell separately or not. You may have to contact them directly. It's a decent system and has remained secure for several years.

Scott
 
Indypikes_imp said:
MVK.....If I remember correctly I just used the bolt holes that were already in the factory rack and lined the box up accordingly. I used some flat head bolts to get as flush as possible with the bottom interior of the case and added rubber and fender washers to seal. It's worked well.

As for the SW-Motech bag supports; I'm not sure if they sell separately or not. You may have to contact them directly. It's a decent system and has remained secure for several years.

Scott
Thank you! Next is the box and second is moving turn signals back to the license plate mount where the reflectors are.


I HATE the thought of what thats gonna look like but functional wise I need room for the bags.

Eventually im going to do the short rear fender and get rid of the gigantic rear tail lights and turn signals.

Function before looks though for now.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top