New Air Filter

Darpo_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey Gang-
Picked up the K&N air filter and it's breathing nice. Wasn't sure what to expect but, the throttle response feels very precise w/ a little extra zip. I'm also going with the Amsoil 30 full synthetic and am enjoying that too. Been averaging low 42-45 per gallon twistn that throttle. Nothing crazy, but thought I'd share my experience. I have close to 5000 miles so tires are eventually next. Any reco's? Stay hyper alert out there.
 
Hey, next time one of you guys change out an air filter, how about doing a photo tute on it for the how to section.

This goes for anything: removing tank, pulling wheels, replacing spark plugs

Lets build up a good library for all members
 
I'm at almost 13,000 miles so I think I'm about due for an air filter. A K&N is in my future (as soon as I get off my lazy butt and order it...HA!).
I'll get some install pics when I tear into it for ya Ferret.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I'm at almost 13,000 miles so I think I'm about due for an air filter. A K&N is in my future (as soon as I get off my lazy butt and order it...HA!).
I'll get some install pics when I tear into it for ya Ferret.
Awesome Randy, thanks on behalf of everybody on the forum. Some guys are afraid to try even the easy stuff until they see a tute with pictures showing the steps involved.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I'm at almost 13,000 miles so I think I'm about due for an air filter. A K&N is in my future (as soon as I get off my lazy butt and order it...HA!).
I'll get some install pics when I tear into it for ya Ferret.
Awesome Randy, thanks on behalf of everybody on the forum. Some guys are afraid to try even the easy stuff until they see a tute with pictures showing the steps involved.
Awesome Randy, thanks on behalf of everybody on the forum. Some guys are afraid to try even the easy stuff until they see a tute with pictures showing the steps involved.
I agree some pics are always helpful. Will keep that in mind as everyone is at different comfort levels when playing. I will say it was very easy. Take off the right side panel and unscrew the 3 screws to remove the air cleaner housing cover. On page 64 in the manual it has the details too. Heres a pic of the stock filter along with the box HA-1301 K&N. Any recommendation on tires for our gem? :thanks::thanks:
 
What does stock filter look like? I know someone was commenting on how restrictive stock set up was.

Tires? Only 2 choices, both oem, Bridgestones or Dunls. Not many options at this point.

I think GCarper put some non radials on his.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
What does stock filter look like? I know someone was commenting on how restrictive stock set up was.

Tires? Only 2 choices, both oem, Bridgestones or Dunls. Not many options at this point.

I think GCarper put some non radials on his.
The pic I attached is the stock paper filter. The K&N is already installed. The K&N is obviously the same size in a tubular shape. It has the same type of red filtration pattern as any other K&N if you can imagine that. Would love to hear from anyone that gets this as I have been really noticing better breathability and all that comes w/ that, especially in the 5,500-7000 range. Zing and a big smile.:excited:
 
Thread starter
ingobohn_imp said:
Does the stock filter look more restrictive compared to K&N, e.g. thicker filter material, more filter "rips", etc.?
It definitely looked more restrictive. It was heavier, had more sharp deeper folds, if that makes sense and the K&N has less rounded contours. If you compare the pic I posted to the surface of any K&N you'll see what I mean. It did state it would not void warranty too. Around $50 from amazon.
 
I've always been skeptical about claims of breathing better turning into better performance....thinking you may only be able to notice something like that at close to red line RPM's......I mean do we really think there is not enough air available for the engine to breathe properly at low and mid range RPM's??
 
Thread starter
I honestly was skeptical too. Even at low to mid i believe it helped. My riding style may benefit from a better airflow as I've really been pushing it in the sweet zone. As we hear from more people trying different things we can all share in the predictable outcomes from common experiences. It has been fun trying to optimize this already awesome machine.
 
I use to race stock cars on a dirt track and we used K&N filters and I could tell the difference. The filter is made of a gauze material sandwiched between screen wire with a special filter oil. Air flow is more straight though with less turbulence. You will never have to buy another filter. Pick up the K&N Charger kit and you can clean and re-oil your filter for 100,000 miles. I had looked for a K&N for the CB1100 with no luck, But I will check Amazon. Even if you are not looking for more performance, I believe it will help the MPG.
To clean the filter you spray the special cleaner on the filter and hose it off with gentle water pressure, NOT HIGH pressure as you will damage the filter. Shake the filter to get as much water out as you can and let it dry out overnight. Lightly spray with a coat of filter oil and you are good to go.:biker:
 
I just ordered a K&H filter from Amazon thanks to this thread. And I also ordered a tire repair kit after reading another thread on this forum. Free shipping!

I'm looking forward to seeing if any performance gains are noticable with the K&N. Like many on this forum, I didn't notice any changes when I added a Staintune exhaust - except for the much nicer sound.
 
Back
Top