new africa twin or the new CB500X

I sat on the AT and had no problems flat footing it at 5.11 (age wore me down from 6 foot even :( ). Seating position was very comfortable. I’m STILL vasilating on an ADV bike. The new Guzzi 85 would probably be my first choice but no dealer network is a non-starter. As it is I’m lucky to have found a reputable local shop that has a Guzzi experienced mechanic that used to work at the now defunct dealership. He was able to fix the leaking rear drive on the V7R. Just ordered new Pirelli Sport Demons last night from Revzilla for it. Now contacting AF1 Racing in Austin for oil filter and all the fluids and taking it all down to be put on and have the valves adjusted. Hopefully that will get it roadworthy for the summer.

But back to the Africa Twin. Felt light while sitting on it. Of course that’s very subjective as I’m sure it didn’t have a full tank of gas in it. I like the handlebar and cockpit layout. Seems to have plenty of room for phone GPS etc. I like the looks overall but am somewhat put off by that huge muffler. Not sure why the manufacturers seem to be making them so big these days. Like it’s a trendy style point. My dealer is pretty good about me taking a bike out for a test ride. Might have to do it just to get that itch scratched even if I don’t buy it.
 
A friend just picked up an AT Adventure Sport. That's the upgraded model with longer travel suspension and many other goodies. The seat height is about an inch and half taller than the standard AT (35.4"). When I straddled it, it was just too tall for my 30" inseam. I had to lean it uncomfortably far to get one foot on the ground. Other than that, it seemed like a pretty good ADV bike. Weight (even leaning) didn't feel excessive and the engine had gobs of grunt on the low end. I don't ride much off pavement, but if I did, I think I'd love the shorter version of the AT.
 
As a very happy owner of a 500X with a 30” inseam I think anyone with an inseam over 32” is going to feel quite crowded.
The NC intrigued me and if the 750 had been available at the time I would have been sorely tempted, I do go for the less popular bikes though for some odd reason.
 
4 Paws_imp said:
As a very happy owner of a 500X with a 30” inseam I think anyone with an inseam over 32” is going to feel quite crowded.
The NC intrigued me and if the 750 had been available at the time I would have been sorely tempted, I do go for the less popular bikes though for some odd reason.
NC750X is some decent Honda value, same for the 500X.
 
Thread starter
The Griso is sold. Upgraded my camera kit. :)

Flynrider, your buddy wouldn't go by the name of Mike would it? :) I'm intrigued by the Sport but think the Standard would be fine. Need to sell a CB before I can pull the trigger on one . May wait until 2020.
 
Wow Rboe, sold the Griso. Hard to believe. You've had that as long as I've known ya lol
 
Rboe_imp said:
The Griso is sold. Upgraded my camera kit. :)

Flynrider, your buddy wouldn't go by the name of Mike would it? :) I'm intrigued by the Sport but think the Standard would be fine. Need to sell a CB before I can pull the trigger on one . May wait until 2020.
Nope. His name's Chris and he lives in Southern NM.
 
Thread starter
Sat on the new 2019 CB500X yesterday, oh man, it felt good. The extra height it gained suits me very well. After my dual sport ride a couple weeks ago it got me thinking about a bike that was not as top heavy or as thirsty as the 650L. Now the CB500X is a bit heavier than the 650L but it's down lower. The CRF450L is lighter by a lot, with more power to boot, but has a seat only a thong could love.

I could get the 500X and trick it out with Rally Raid bits to make it much more competent in the dirt but at that point it would start to be as expensive as the 450L (although much better on the road).

I started watching Sven Olson on youtube, he traded in his 250L for the new 500X (he's had the big BMW's in the past so he's not a green horn in this hobby) and he's taken the 500x on some pretty rough roads/trails (after upgrading the tires to TCK's). So many the 500X would be a better fit.

On a side note, those roads in Norway are very narrow!
 
Back
Top