new africa twin or the new CB500X

Golly, I wish I had a 29" inseam. :(
 
Rboe_imp said:
You know, I"m confusing the X with a couple regular NC's I sat on which have forward controls. That looks very promising. With my long inseam (36"+) I don't like a lot of knee bend which happens on lower bikes. I've had to get lower pegs on the Griso and CB AND a taller seat.

Dang she looks good in red!
I totally get it Rboe. Mine is 34" and that brings some long range challenges on the CB. However, so far it has been mitigated. I just happen to fit perfectly on a Kawi Versys 650 LT and NC750X class frames. I reckon with 36"+ you'd be at home on the Africa.
 
Thread starter
Do keep in mind my feet reach the ground just like yours. :D I have yet to find a bike I could not flat foot while sitting on it.

On the other hand, bikes designed for less endowed in the leg department seem to have flooded the market severely limiting my choices. :(
 
Rboe_imp said:
Do keep in mind my feet reach the ground just like yours. :D I have yet to find a bike I could not flat foot while sitting on it.

On the other hand, bikes designed for less endowed in the leg department seem to have flooded the market severely limiting my choices. :(

That's funny because those of us that are leg length impaired think there are very few bikes made for us (that are not cruisers), and that most bikes are made for the long legged. There are a myriad of bikes (almost any ADV bike) I'd like to try riding, but I just don't have enough legs for them.
 
I keep wondering whether a medieval contraption like the rack could help those of us inseam challenged people.
 
It’s hard to know which would be more painful. :)
 
lol might make it hard to shift, but would definitely help at a stop light.

I have to wear boots with a waffle (Vibram) sole to ride my FJR. My motorcycle specific boots don't have enough sole for me to reach the ground with any confidence.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I keep wondering whether a medieval contraption like the rack could help those of us inseam challenged people.
<<ABBA Boots HERE>>

Cormanus_imp said:
It’s hard to know which would be more painful. :)
At least with the former, you won't get blisters. :)
 
Thread starter
I"ve advised my shorter friends to repeatedly jump off a wooden fence - feet on both sides. To, you know, increase their inseam.

For some reason they don't think I'm serious. :angel:
 
Inconceivable, Rboe.
 
I am 6' 2" tall and weigh 220 pounds. I was quite comfortable on my CB500XA for the 3 years I owned it.


It would ride well on 2 lane paved roads, gravel roads, sandy roads, and occasional rocky lane. It felt very light and nimble compared to my top heavy CB1100 EX.

On 4-lane express ways it could keep up, but felt a little wound up doing it.

There is a CB500X Forum that would have all the information you would need from a world wide group of owners. The are also suspension kits to improve the off road capability which include a larger front wheel.
 
Rider magazine just came in today with test on NC750X. Gave it a great reiview. 32.7 inch seat height Rboe.
 
Yeah, I've been butt-planting NC750X's lately. The extra height feels good. Africas look exceptionally well this time of the year too. And finally, the white Gold Wings are dreamy.
 
Posting this up for Rboe for his FYI:

Was at the Honda Dealer that sold me the CB on Saturday. They had this 2017 Africa Twin with DCT on Sale.

4c9194835450291f9ae2584969b3379e.jpg


9c3d06155904fb287b7c58a98030294a.jpg


5061536ac6e5c1d80762c29875b9e954.jpg


The 2018 that you can barely see in the background was sans DCT (I believe) and was about $1,400 more).

For a comparison I snapped pics of this and the selling price.

eff78847eea388930ea1208e3a401a69.jpg
.

I like the tubeless tires on this model vs the tubed ones on the AT.

22eb90ed87ba52bed4651b1430963e2c.jpg
.
 
Thread starter
Frulk, sent you a PM a few days back. Do have a local fellow that appears to be keen on the Griso.

There a black VFR1200x for sale and I was very attracted to it - but much heavier than the Africa Twin. Plus the huge power of the motor was a bit daunting. I have no business with that much power off the right wrist. :D

A local buddy picked up a 2018 DCT Africa Twin and he LOVES the DCT. He has ridden for years (used to be a Honda dealer in WI back in the day too) and he was seduced straight away.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Frulk, sent you a PM a few days back. Do have a local fellow that appears to be keen on the Griso.

There a black VFR1200x for sale and I was very attracted to it - but much heavier than the Africa Twin. Plus the huge power of the motor was a bit daunting. I have no business with that much power off the right wrist. :D

A local buddy picked up a 2018 DCT Africa Twin and he LOVES the DCT. He has ridden for years (used to be a Honda dealer in WI back in the day too) and he was seduced straight away.
I am hearing a lot of the same in person. These opinions seem to concur with our European breatherin who have had access to similarly Honda-DCT-equipped machines for a few years more.
 
Back
Top