New 2014 DLX downshift issues

Thread starter
wayne van horn_imp said:
tbone455 you only have 100 miles on the bike, it takes a lot more then that to find out what your bike likes & doesn't like.
Wayne yes a brand new vehicle of any kind shouldn't be judged too harshly unless there is a major issue. I noticed today that a more distinct "downclicking" more slowly seemed to eliminate any of the problem. Maybe I was doing it too fast.
To be honest I think it's acceptable to downshift this way without necessarily letting clutch out in certain circumstances.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
ferret is right; the clutch plates aren't acting like a brake pad and disk. They snap together and then the engine does the work of slowing the bike as it pumps air. If you bother to blip the throttle properly as you downshift, you will have virtually no friction on the plates. And even if you don't, you'll still never wear out a clutch unless you simply don't know how to use it.

I've been hearing that old saw about "brakes jobs are cheaper than clutch repairs" since I started driving, and it's just wrong. Ask any professional driver or mechanic and they'll advise downshifting to slow your vehicle; either going down a mountain or coming to a stop sign.
I agree 100% when going down a mountain. Engine braking is what is called for in that situation or you may burn up your brakes. However, I live in the city and it seems to me that slowing down when coming to a stop sign or light without brake lights to notify the cager on the phone behind you is a great way to get rear-ended. This is a terrible idea.
 
I don't think anyone is saying using brakes is a bad idea. What is a bad idea is coming to a stop in 5 th or 6 th and trying to downshift 5 or 6 gears while sitting still. It will usually bind up the trans, preventing continued shifting, if the gears are not moving.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
ferret is right; the clutch plates aren't acting like a brake pad and disk. They snap together and then the engine does the work of slowing the bike as it pumps air. If you bother to blip the throttle properly as you downshift, you will have virtually no friction on the plates. And even if you don't, you'll still never wear out a clutch unless you simply don't know how to use it.

I've been hearing that old saw about "brakes jobs are cheaper than clutch repairs" since I started driving, and it's just wrong. Ask any professional driver or mechanic and they'll advise downshifting to slow your vehicle; either going down a mountain or coming to a stop sign.
The issue of clutch and brake wear aside, I guess I don't quite see the point in doing what you're talking about for every stop. (And maybe you don't mean every single time, but that's what it sounds like.)

It definitely makes sense in certain situations. For example, unless I need to stop quickly, I almost always let engine braking help with initial deceleration (by simply releasing the throttle and leaving it in the gear I was already using); and I'll always drop a gear or two for engine braking when coming down a steep hill; and sometimes if it's a long, slow stop I'll downshift through the gears just because there's plenty of time and it's less boring that way.

But in other common braking situations--like, for example, coming to a stop from 50 mph in 4th gear when a traffic light goes red and I need to stop relatively quickly (not a panic stop, but not a long, leisurely process either)--it just seems impractical to busy myself with repeated clutching and shifting and blipping. I might leave it in 4th for a bit to help with initial deceleration, but I'm not going to bother with actually shifting into third. At that point I just grab the clutch and keep the gear selector moving down to the appropriate spot for whatever my current speed is.

So I guess what I'm saying is that in some (though certainly not all) situations it seems like an unnecessary distraction from the primary task of braking.
 
Sure different situations call for different tactics. If someone pulls out in front of me and I need to haul it down to save my life, screw the trans, I 'm leaving the clutch out, and grabbing all the brakes I have and I'll worry about what gear Im in if I' m alive to check.


I guess the vast majority of my stops dont call for special circumstances, I'm just coming to a stop at a stop sign or traffic light and I have plenty of time to let the engine do some of the braking, down shift and then also let the brakes do some of the braking. Easiest on all systems.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't think anyone is saying using brakes is a bad idea. What is a bad idea is coming to a stop in 5 th or 6 th and trying to downshift 5 or 6 gears while sitting still. It will usually bind up the trans, preventing continued shifting, if the gears are not moving.
100% agree. Spaceman's wording, to my ear, seemed to advocate using progressively lower gears to slow yourself when approaching a stop. In traffic, this seems like a good way to get run over to me. Pechorin makes a good point as well... this method does seem needlessly labor intensive and a distraction.
 
tbone455_imp said:
Just picked up my bike the other day. It now has 100 miles on it. I have noticed from time to time an issue with downshifting. I don't always downshift one gear at a time. Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. But sometimes with the clutch in, The gear indicator on the instrument panel will go from indicating whatever gear I was in to just showing a dash line (-) and I can't get down to a lower gear without letting the clutch out a little and then starting over with the downshift.
Is anyone else noticing a similar problem?

 "Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. "

Lets re-read and remember the original post in this thread. This is what we were addressing.
 
Always be in the right gear for the right speed.

Brakes are there only to assist in the slowing of the machine, to retain control one must retain (the option of) drive.

Coasting is dangerous and bad practice.

If you're relying too much in brakes, you're riding in too high a gear.

Don't believe me? Find a twisty road/roundabout whatever ..

Ride round the tight bend/roundabout in 3rd gear. Try to slow down without braking.

Try the same in first gear with the revs in the mid range or above. Try to slow down without braking (ease off slowly, don't chop the throttle).

Whoopee, you've just discovered how to corner safely! :beerchug:
 
The ferret_imp said:
tbone455_imp said:
Just picked up my bike the other day. It now has 100 miles on it. I have noticed from time to time an issue with downshifting. I don't always downshift one gear at a time. Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. But sometimes with the clutch in, The gear indicator on the instrument panel will go from indicating whatever gear I was in to just showing a dash line (-) and I can't get down to a lower gear without letting the clutch out a little and then starting over with the downshift.
Is anyone else noticing a similar problem?

 "Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. "

Lets re-read and remember the original post in this thread. This is what we were addressing.

 "Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. "

Lets re-read and remember the original post in this thread. This is what we were addressing.
The original post, any other 2014 owners experience the dash instead of the gear indicator?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
yes one other member who said he kept his foot on the gear shift lever while stopped and received the error code.

post # 5

Sweet Dreams
 
The ferret_imp said:
yes one other member who said he kept his foot on the gear shift lever while stopped and received the error code.

post # 5

Sweet Dreams
Ah, well found, Ferret. That's the post I was looking for and couldn't find.
 
I do it all from memory Cormanus ..... :rofl:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
tbone455_imp said:
Just picked up my bike the other day. It now has 100 miles on it. I have noticed from time to time an issue with downshifting. I don't always downshift one gear at a time. Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. But sometimes with the clutch in, The gear indicator on the instrument panel will go from indicating whatever gear I was in to just showing a dash line (-) and I can't get down to a lower gear without letting the clutch out a little and then starting over with the downshift.
Is anyone else noticing a similar problem?

 "Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. "

Lets re-read and remember the original post in this thread. This is what we were addressing.

 "Sometimes I coast to a red light with the clutch in And downshift through all the gears to first. "

Lets re-read and remember the original post in this thread. This is what we were addressing. Yes Ferret that is true. I do that sometimes. In fact, thinking back over the years, I guess I have done that on all my bikes-without any consequences. But as I think I said in a later post, this is a new bike with its own characteristics and I will make adjustments to the technique. REMINDS ME OF THE WOMEN IN MY LIFE...but that's probably for a different thread, huh? :D
 
yes, lets not get into the subject of women :worship: Another subject where many will profess to be knowledgeable but few truly understand. At least we won't if we know what is good for us ...some of them actually read this site.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
ferret is right; the clutch plates aren't acting like a brake pad and disk. They snap together and then the engine does the work of slowing the bike as it pumps air. If you bother to blip the throttle properly as you downshift, you will have virtually no friction on the plates. And even if you don't, you'll still never wear out a clutch unless you simply don't know how to use it.

I've been hearing that old saw about "brakes jobs are cheaper than clutch repairs" since I started driving, and it's just wrong. Ask any professional driver or mechanic and they'll advise downshifting to slow your vehicle; either going down a mountain or coming to a stop sign.
In my experience, brakes certainly are cheaper than clutches (and easier). It makes no sense to use engine braking at every deceleration. I don't have the knees for it anymore, either.
 
Dakota, I'm confused. What does engine braking have to do with knees?

and no one said every deceleration ...different circumstances require different reactions

you don't use the brakes before every curve do you?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Dakota, I'm confused. What does engine braking have to do with knees?

and no one said every deceleration ...different circumstances require different reactions

you don't use the brakes before every curve do you?
Generalization referring to my other vehicles with manual transmissions and my bad knees becoming incompatible. Yes, I use the brakes to slow down.:)
 
Dakota_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Dakota, I'm confused. What does engine braking have to do with knees?

and no one said every deceleration ...different circumstances require different reactions

you don't use the brakes before every curve do you?
Generalization referring to my other vehicles with manual transmissions and my bad knees becoming incompatible. Yes, I use the brakes to slow down.:)
Generalization referring to my other vehicles with manual transmissions and my bad knees becoming incompatible. Yes, I use the brakes to slow down.:)

Ahh I get you, using a manual clutch in a car or truck hurts your knees.

I'll bet if I were following you on a curvy road, you use engine braking more than you realize, if not you will be replacing your brakes a lot more often than necessary.

Yesterday I led Emptyseas group over some curvy roads in Northern Kentucky, probably 80 miles of curves, speeds were from 35 to 55, only used one gear (4 th) never hit the brakes unless I was stopping for a stop sign at an intersection of which there were 3.
 
So then back on topic, the original post was answered.

Then

Let's keep straying off topic now. :D

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top