New 1200 cc Bonnies revealed

According to the press releases those fins do actually make a difference and allow for the use of a smaller radiator. That exhaust is actually catalyzed as well (obviousely) and flows two-one-two into a cat under the bike and then out to the two tail pipes. From the side though you could never see this. They've actually got a lot of really cool new but retro engineering on this thing.
 
I figured there'd be a thread on this over here. I like all of the new range, but the Thruxton R really has my attention. First bike since the CB to really make me pay attention. Probably too expensive for me to consider buying one, but I said that about the CB when it first came out. Difference is, I already have a beautiful, retro bike where I didn't before I bought the CB.

I am a little bummed on the radiator, but it's almost a necessity these days. They did a good job hiding it. I'd like to see a new Scrambler vairent.
 
I really like this new Thruxton. Looking at the first pictures of it, it so reminds me of the Ducati Sports Classic which simply was brought to the market at the wrong time. That Ducati was for me pretty much the perfect bike. It looked great, had what is possibly the best engine Ducati has made and a chassis to go with it. Granted, the clip-ons where bit too low (which was later corrected) and there was the problem with the tank, but it so deserved to do well. Unfortunately the timing was wrong and very few people bought them. I am sure if they brought it back today it would do well, and perhaps they can do something like that using the engine from the Scrambler.

Here is a comparison between the Thruxton R and the SportsClassic:



 
Just read the CW article and did some research on the 2016 models. I'm not a Triumph fan but they did a great job on there next Gen models. One mistake is not offering the Thruxton R suspension and tires on the Bonnie. Bike puts out 80ftlbs of torque and 100 HP.

Honda had better up its game if they want to compete in the naked retro market.
 
IMO much "cleaner" than the Duc. The Duc may be lighter, I don't know, but the Thruxton "looks" lighter with the space around the engine.

CIP you're right they should have included an upgraded Bonnie but without the gold bits. It won't be 100 at the rear wheel more like 92 I think, but still a few ponys stronger than the CB 1100, not that that matters to me.
 
Thread starter
I just put my deposit and claim on the first Thruxton R at a local dealership. It's precisely what I was hoping for. April delivery. As for the upgraded Bonnie, I predict we will see a 'Speed Twin' in a few years, a Bonnie with the Thrux mill and other shiny bits, and a name rooted in history.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Capo..keeping the CB?
Probably. I'm in a fleet reassessment phase. Perhaps the Moto Morini 500 winter project wasn't such a good idea...
 
Gentlemen,

The new Bonnevilles look great and I'm sure they will sell well. But for me, the radiator kills it. Like putting a supercharger on a 1964 GTO. Yeah it would be faster and more powerful but it wouldn't look right or feel right and would diminish the machines ability to transport me back in time.

Chip
 
I'm considering the thruxton R. !! Dang, that's nice. Anyone, have a guess at the price ? I'll go look over this thread to see if that has been discussed.


Edit: it was suggested earlier in this post that it would run about $12,000. Yikes. I like my CB1100, that dream was short lived.

Capo.. Is the 12 figure about right ?? Figured since you put a deposit down. You have the most info on the forum.
Me local shop, just told me $14,500 for the Thruxon R. $12,500 for the regular thruxton.
 
Thread starter
I don't have a firm price yet, will report back, and I've got the right to cancel should it prove exorbitant. But with Ohlins and top spec components, it won't be cheap.

Chip, I don't disagree regarding the radiator, it always bothered me on my old ZRX1200, and it's the one thing that I felt spoiled the Thunderbird Sport. But they did a good job of keeping it between the frame tubes, and my sense is that the performance will compensate. And I still have an air cooled ride as well.
 
JF Coastal_imp said:
I'm considering the thruxton R. !! Dang, that's nice. Anyone, have a guess at the price ? I'll go look over this thread to see if that has been discussed.


Edit: it was suggested earlier in this post that it would run about $12,000. Yikes. I like my CB1100, that dream was short lived.

Capo.. Is the 12 figure about right ?? Figured since you put a deposit down. You have the most info on the forum.
Me local shop, just told me $14,500 for the Thruxon R. $12,500 for the regular thruxton.
I've heard the number $ 14.5 tossed around as well.
 
Back
Top